Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Dry Spell

With no interesting 5Ks on the rise, no further activities on this month’s calendar here at the senior complex, having not run into Apache ─ to fill me in on the latest, I’m experiencing a dry spell.
With nothing interesting to occupy my time, I’ve managed to log in quite a lot of hours on the latest needlepoint.

Progress: August 2019 - November 2019

Progress: November 2019 - January 2020

Still days, weeks, months away from completion, but it’s always exciting when I see the picture come into being.
Also, with time on my hands, I made a run by the library to drop off all those books I read last year about No. 45.


Those hardcover books aren’t cheap, and with the books being fairly new and relevant, one would have thought the library would be happy to receive and offer to its members. That being said, maybe it’s just me but I found it off putting when I drove up to the drop box, as the library was closed, and saw this sign.


Seriously?
If they expected me to turn around, go back home, return at their open hours convenience, they were sorely mistaken. I dropped the books off in the drop box.
You librarians can’t be so busy that this is that much of an inconvenience to you. Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth.
And while we’re on the subject of librarians, a little known fact is that was once a goal of mine when considering a career. Mom nixed my first choice ─ to become a nun, by forbidding me to continue to attend the catholic church with a neighbor girl, and decided for me that I’d be a teacher. Mom not being a woman to be defied, I somehow had the inner strength to oppose her, researched library sciences but, in a hurry to make money and get independent, I learned to type, and began my secretarial career immediately out of high school as a clerk typist.
Technical College, continuing education classes at various colleges and evolving work experiences, while marrying, bearing twins, divorce, raising twins on my own, I finished my career as a legal secretary.
Notwithstanding experiencing racism, sexism, and abuse of authority in work situations, it was a fun ride. The atmosphere not always easy, but the actual work aspect was always fulfilling and fun.
There have been no signs of that dream of trainer and I having a dispute coming into fruition, thank goodness. So I’m writing that one off not as precog but, as Barbara commented, influenced by what happened with the two women seeking training.
Speaking of which, trainer did sign up one of the ladies. This newest client, at 51 years of age, signed up for boxing.
When trainer started me off by assessing my capabilities, I was exposed to those bags and was worn out within seconds. So, to me, boxing ─ though a faster track to getting fit over all, rather than cross fit which focuses on individual areas over time, is also harder than cross fit, so kudos to her for going that route.
Trainer tells me she’s since said to him, “I bet I’m your oldest client”.
HA!

8 comments:

  1. Why don't they have a box just for donations? I guess that would be too easy!

    BTW! You do beautiful work! I think my hands bothering me has kept me from returning to doing any art. I want to but...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My hands occasionally bother me a little at times as well, begin to ache and cramp up. I fight it with arthritic ointment, arthritic gloves. A donation box is a great idea. I may post that suggestion on their website or facebook page, whichever I can find.

      Delete
  2. Our old library used to have a converted mail box for drop off. Now you have to get out of your car and use the drop off that goes directly into the building.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems these libraries are not making it easy to do the right thing.

      Delete
  3. I just love the thought of you being a nun! Celebrating 75 today and you have made me smile.
    I think I would have enjoyed being a librarian but at the time I never thought of it. Second idea, I would have enjoyed teaching ESL.
    My friend has taken up boxing as part of a Parkinson's program. She is 77 or 78 and just started it before Christmas, I wonder if she will keep it up. Cannot talk my husband into it though. He prefers his exercise program at home and walking with me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Synchronicity. I realized I was missing a couple of used craft books I had just purchased so I went to the library. Librarian said if they get unidentified books they assume they are donations. My books were gone. Looks like my library would have gladly taken them. I would have left them to. I wanted to be a librarian but my sixth grade teacher talked me out of it. I wonder why?

    ReplyDelete