Wednesday, January 29, 2020

Evacuation Day?

That’s what came out of yesterday’s Community Meeting, which turned out not to be a management/residents meeting, but a complete snooze fest when Community Manager (CM) started off saying it was a “Resident Safety Meeting”, there was an agenda, with emergency preparedness presentations by representatives from various agencies, and we’d be sticking to topic.
Keeping seniors focused and on topic is like herding cats, but I have to give it to CM that he mostly managed to do so.
From the few cats that managed to get loose, before CM could herd then back in, I learned I’m not the only one experiencing smoke detector hellwhich leads me to believe the detectors here are defective. Probably because, when in 2014, the current management company bought the property and did what they say was a $4.5 million “complete renovation”, the renovation consisted of using cheap labor to replace old things that worked perfectly fine with cheap new things (so corporate bigwigs could cheap their way into squirrelling away money for their bonuses). Cheap new things that quickly ceased working and which, to this day, is the bulk of what the maintenance guys do ─ run around trying to keep those cheap things functioning.
The cats that interrupted the fire department presenter to say their smoke detectors would go off at odd times were quickly dismissed with “You were probably cooking”.
I wasn’t cooking at 3:15 in the morning, nor was I cooking the other times the beeping began driving me crazy. In fact, the one time I forgot to turn the burner off under a pot, and was so engrossed in needlepoint that I didn’t realize the room had filled with smoke, the detector never issued an alert. LOL.
No matter, I’ve solved my smoke detector problem.


I’m hoping the fire department gets in and sees this while doing their detector check, so I can tell the fire department the detectors are defective and management knows it, before management gets in to do its pre-inspection, realizes I’ve solved my own problem and MacGyvers it back up to hide the problem.
There would have be no point mentioning it at yesterday’s meet. CM would have herded me back in with “We will look into it”, which is what he told me the last three times I told him there appears to be a problem with my detector.
Another thing that came out in yesterday’s meet, which I heard just as I was walking out the door ─ because the meet had run over into 11:20 and I needed to head for the pain cave, was that a flight from the epicenter of the coronavirus was scheduled to land at the Ontario Airport.
WHA WHA WHAT?!
Fortunately, the news this morning is the flight was diverted to the Air Reserve Base.


Good for us, not so good for them, and still too close for comfort, prompting me to cancel Friday’s appointment at the medical center to discuss what if anything can be done about reoccurring gut issues, even though I’ve limited myself to safe foods.
With the appearance of so many signs we're living in the final days (the evil men are flourishing, the fires) and now mysterious plaques, like the new flu and coronavirus, I thought better of putting myself in a hospital setting.
I also won’t be getting my nails done any time soon, because I don’t know which of the nail technicians have travelled to China or have relatives who’ve travelled.
Better safe than sorry.
Before I had to leave the session, we were handed maps of the property indicating which exits we are to take in case of a fire emergency, and told to memorize our exits because we’ll be having an Evacuation Day.
WHA WHA WHAT?!
An alarm will sound, we are to go to our designated spot and wait to be signed in.
Seriously?
Not only does this strike me as unnecessary but, considering the condition some of our residents are in, not possible to pull off.
But so long as the alarm doesn’t sound before I’m dressed for the day, make up and all, I’ll play along.
I’ll be taking my lawn chair and a cup of coffee to my designated location, to watch in comfort what is sure to be a spectacle.

8 comments:

  1. Two night ago one of our many smoke detectors went off. No fire . We have several rooms with very high ceilings, so decided to remove all the smoke detectors up high and replace them with ones we can easily reach ( being now 75 an 79 years of age)...The idea of a high one going off for no reason during the night is intolerable.
    Several times they have gone off when a spider walked through them but scared the heck out of us.
    You will get the attention of the Fire Dept!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talking about your nails and hospital visits, I understand completely. I worry about my nails after some stories I have heard but who knows if they are true. And I definitely do not want to be in a hospital, medical center or even doctor's office. The problem is that we have a long way to go before the virus in under control.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You probably should buy your own smoke detector just to be safe. Then cut that crappy thing down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't there some kind of law that requires smoke detectors in residential buildings? The whole thing sounds very unsafe and screwy to me. I, too vote for you getting your own smoke detector and either having it installed or installing it yourself if you're able to do so safely. Wow! I just reread your post and it just blows my mind that basic safety features at your complex have fallen by the wayside.

    The coronavirus thing is scary indeed. Everyone needs to take notice and take it seriously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We're living in the age of corporate greed. They get away with it by providing BUT providing with what's cheap and shoddy.

      Delete