Thursday, December 19, 2019

Winning!

Walking into the Community Room, for yesterday’s Holiday Social, I saw the tree was loaded with gifts.


I assumed the gifts were for Ugly Sweater Contestants, but nooooo.
The gifts were for us residents, to be given out after the luncheon which, instead of boring sandwiches Activity Director posted there would be, was instead El Pollo Loco ─ chicken, rice, refried beans, dinner rolls instead of tortillas.
I, of course, ate nothing. Just observed and took a ton of photos.
Though the turnout was huge, there were only two residents wearing what could be considered equivalent to an ugly sweater. One was The Baker, who totally won Christmas with a Christmas Tree outfit she and her husband threw together.


The other was a resident who’d blinged out her walker and emergency medical kit.


The Seer was in attendance, still talking and acting, since hooking up with Shadow, like she's the cat's meow, self-righteous, uber judgmental, superior — Shadow clinging to her like a leashed puppy dog. Apache was otherwise occupied, came in at the tail end, Quiet Old Guy across the quad didn’t come in at all and Activity Director left shortly after I arrived, saying she was ill and that staff would take over. Staff being Community Manager, Assistant Community Manager (back from her 30 day suspension or sick leave, whichever it was) and Head Maintenance Guy.
Assistance Community Manager was too happy, high energy and all party, party, party to have been coming back from a suspension, so I’m calling that rumor as wishful thinking on Apache part ─ who, btw, pronounced 45 would never be impeached. LOL.
Impeachment still has to go through the Senate, so though I’m laughing at Apache’s being wrong, I’m still holding my breath, afraid to hope we’re finally rid of 45, because I can’t handle the disappointment if we end up not being rid of him.
It’s gonna be what the Universe wants it to be.
The Baker of course won the Ugly Sweater Contest.


What she won was a gift certificate for the local supermarket.
Watching residents pick a gift from under the tree was interesting.
We didn’t all bum rush the tree at one time. Instead, we were given tickets with numbers. A corresponding ticket was placed in a bag and we were called up according to which number was picked from the bag.
Management was generous and worked it so everyone in attendance would get a prize, but what was interesting was seeing how people reacted when a number was called.
It was sorta like bingo, close but a number off caused varying reactions.
None of us knew what gifts were in the bag, but some appeared to think they were missing out, that as gifts disappeared from the tree, into the hands of others, that the good gifts would be gone.
The Seer was especially peeved that her self-important self had yet to be called up when all but a handful had gotten to pick a gift.
I saw it as the Universe speaking when she was called up as first of the last three. Next to her, was Not Dead Nancy, who also earned the placement given her by the Universe. Dead last was a new resident, who seemed perfectly happy.
Further evidence of the Universe being at work was when I asked, The Seer and Shadow what gift they’d gotten. “Candy” was their disappointed reply.
I was called up about middle of the pack, which is significant because I live my life on the middle path, and you won’t believe what was in my gift bag.

Starbucks Holiday Blend

I must be doing something right.

7 comments:

  1. I get a kick out of you blacking out the eyes of the residents. Makes me think you're living in a triple X complex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. You wouldn't be wrong, but I do it for their privacy as I've not asked if I could post their image.

      Delete
  2. The perfect gift for you! So glad.
    BTW are those leggings ones you sewed yourself, they fit perfectly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those leggings were purchased two/three years ago. They've held their shape because I've only worn them for the Wonder Woman 5k, last Christmas and this Christmas.

      Delete
  3. What fun. Coffee and accessories are always an appreciated gift for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like Fun and you must be doing something Right walking that Middle Path, which is my preference too... since Starbucks beats Candy any day as a pressie! *Winks* Impeachment sadly won't mean we'll get rid of him, he won't bow out gracefully and he'd incite his followers to violence and revolt so there is no Win-Win for the Country... and I'm usually a Hopeful Optimist, but not on this... tho' I'm glad the Impeachment will leave an even greater stain on his 'legacy' that will irritate him 'til the day he dies and last for all of eternity in the History Books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You scored the good stuff! Have a wonderful holiday season and best wishes to you for 2020!

    ReplyDelete