Friday, December 13, 2019

Friday the 13th of Christmas, WHAT?!


Even though I don’t entertain, I enjoy decorating for Christmas. So, it’s looking pretty festive around here, if I do say so myself.
The entry way looks inviting.

My Christmas Coffee Mug is back in play. 

As you can see, my nails are festive. And my friend Q sent me a Christmas card.
That makes one!
LOL.
I haven’t sent out a Christmas card in years, and generally don’t receive more than two myself — one from The Seer, even though I don’t bother giving her one in return, and one from that woman I’ve been friends with for 45 years, even though I also don’t bother sending her one in return. (This is the friend that keeps sending me invitations to social events I always rsvp can’t make it).
I just don’t do Christmas cards (or many away from the complex social events for that matter).
At any rate, inasmuch as The Seer is busy with Shadow and that friend of 45 years is finally fed up because I recently rsvp’d I couldn’t make it to her 50th wedding anniversary, receiving a Christmas card from anyone never entered my mind but then, here comes a card from Q.
Backing up to that 50th wedding anniversary story … when I rsvp’d I couldn’t make it, she actually called me on the phone.
”GIRL! What’s more important than my 50th anniversary!?”
In my head my response to what was more important was “anything, even root canal”, because I never liked her husband, did not care for the way he disrespected her by cheating on her with some of her friends, don't see her 50th as a celebration, more like 50 years of grin, suffer through, bear it. But I held my thoughts in and used for an excuse my food allergies, how it restricts travel, that I would not be able to eat or drink anything.
She said she understood but, for the first time in years, no card, so I think she’s mad.
No matter. She’s a nice enough woman, but I outgrew her 20 years ago and she won’t let go — always keeps up with where I am, what I’m doing, calls and bends my ears for hours, all the while saying nothing — talking about people, places, I don't remember, things I’ve no interest in.
On the other hand, Q gets me. Q is important to me so, while at Walmart picking up pre-baked holiday cookies for the seniors to decorate, I looked for a card for Q.
Have you any idea how difficult it is to find a card that isn’t sappy sentimental sweet or funny?
The looking for just one card was taking up a lot of time, and everything I picked up was so cloyingly sweet that I couldn’t take it. I didn’t even bother to look at the funny, because what I was looking for was a simple Merry Christmas/Happy Holiday, which I finally found in the Peanut Signature section.


I did not realize, until the cashier rang it up, that one card was priced at $7.99.
DANG!
Oh well. At least I got a card off to Q, so my holiday obligations are done; and, if anyone else does give or send me a card, well then it’s on them cause, like I said … done.

8 comments:

  1. Reading your reasoning for ghosting a long-time acquaintance gives me some insight as to why a long-time coworker with whom I thought I had a good relationship has ghosted me. However, I had already quit sending cards to her this past year and no longer include her in invitations. There are others who will not be receiving cards, too, because now that I read your thoughts, I figure theirs must be similar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, sorry. Outgrowing and no longer having anything in common with a perfectly lovely friend is a harsh reality, but it happens.

      Delete
  2. It is the thought ... not the price . But $7.99 for a card! I shop at the dollar store. (Lol). Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had I known it was $7.99 when I picked it up, I might have driven to the dollar store. The cost of gas to get there would have been more economical.

      Delete
    2. Oh, and p.s. Merry Christmas to you as well, whoever you are. LOL.

      Delete
  3. I've noticed how generous you are, all the gifts you have given people, the decorations you shared all over last Christmas, Starbucks for the group coffee and decorating purchased cookies for the seniors. You really have the Christmas spirit year round.
    At least, with that $$$ card, you only sent the one, so it's almost like buying a box as most of us do! I readily admit I couldn't have paid that much but kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do miss the days of Christmas Cards with pictures of family, children and pets. I have't done it in years either but I still miss it. I love your nails. I love the Christmas coffee cup too.

    ReplyDelete