Thursday, December 7, 2017

The New Normal

Waking up to fire trucks once again racing down the street this morning, it occurred to me I’d better stay prepared because, though the trucks are not now for my immediate area, that this is my new normal.
We’re always on the alert for fires on Little Mountain during the periods of heat waves, but this is the first time the Santa Ana’s have brought threat of fire with it, and this time it was way too close for comfort.


Red area is location of fire, and I’m just on the other side of the mountain in the black circled area.
My archeologist friend, living on one side of me, didn’t have to evacuate, but was getting phone alerts to stand by.
A former coworker friend, living on the other side of me, had officers driving down her street, with bullhorns, shouting for everyone to “get out now!”
It was just an insane day.
I stayed prepared by piling up what I thought I’d need to take to the car by the door, sleeping partially dressed so all I’d need to do was slip on pants, bra, shoes and not wanting to risk having to rush out the door with a bare face, folks seeing me without makeup, I slept with my makeup on.
It’s vain I know, but some things should never be seen.
At any rate, once the threat was declared over, I returned what I’d piled up to its proper place but later, watching a program on the Discovery Channel, wherein a fleeing criminal rushed by a location he'd prepared in advance to pick up a “Go Bag”, containing money, fake IDs, etc., the thought occurred that since this is my new normal a go-bag would be a great idea.
I’m in the process of putting one together containing clothes and toiletry for a few days in the car or at a hotel. My important papers are already located in one place, in something I can easily grab as I head out the door with my go-bag.
This additional step of preparedness will give me time to focus on saving the Creative Memory photo albums.
Winds seem to have died down for now so, with no fear of the wind huffing and puffing and blowing my little Saturn off the freeway, on tap for today is heading to the Amazon Locker to pick up a delivery of butter coffee and shirataki noodles, with a stop by the mall to pick up a delivery at one of the boutiques. I order so much and so often that I can’t keep track. What I’ll be picking up at the mall will come as a complete surprise.
I’m a good shopper, frugal even, so I’m sure whatever it is that I got a good deal and the item is necessary.

3 comments:

  1. Watching the news and seeing the fire and all the damage is just so daunting. There is too much bad stuff happening every where. I would like to just to hole up in the house until Christmas, but that isn't possible. Hope you are able to stay in your apartment and be safe. Glad you have prepared your GO bag, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're in good shape here. Wind is manageable, but it's inconceivable that the fires continuing to rage are expected to burn though Christmas. We had heavy rains this time last year, hopefully the rains will make an appearance and turn the tide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No rains up here, either, and we are desperately in need of the moisture.

    ReplyDelete