Tuesday, December 5, 2017

All is Chaos

The Santa Ana winds kept me indoors all-day yesterday. 
Safely tucked indoors, it sounded like the end of the world was happening outside as the wind raced through the quad, sounding like a freight train, prompting me to periodically check to make sure patio Christmas decorations hadn’t gone with the wind.
Everything was still on the porch when I checked again this morning, only not in the neat configuration I’d positioned them.


Seems the Santa Ana’s get stronger each and every year, but looking at the wildfire devastation (Thomas Fire, Creek Fire), if all we have to worry about are decorations being upended, we’re very fortunate, I thought to myself.
My heart went out to one woman interviewed on the news who said, “It’s ironic. Four hours ago, I was sitting in my house, doing what I normally do. Now I don’t have that house anymore”.
A reminder how it is that life can change in an instant.
As I went on with my day, I noted what little damage the wind had done in this area.
The tree underneath my window is history.
Tree Before

Tree After

The maintenance men corralled a door flying down the street.


Head Maintenance Man, back from his bout with illness, saw it flying down the street, ran, managed to grab it before injury was done to person or property, and the wind was so hard that he had had to call Assistant Maintenance Man over to assist.
First time I’ve ever seen Head Maintenance Man rush/hurry/run and showing initiative.
The leasing sign at the multi-complex next door is destroyed.


We figure next door is also where that flying door came from.
Certain the heavy winds had brought down the side of the H Building, previously damaged by the U-Haul, I walked over and found, lo and behold, repair work has begun.


It’s a Christmas Miracle!
I also observed an unusual number of fire trucks travelling up and down the street.
Why? thought I. We’re nowhere near Ventura.
Then I saw on the news the trucks were for the fire practically at my back door – Little Mountain by the golf course, three miles away.
Did I say life can change in an instant?
Evacuations are in play, but not us, not yet. We’re told to “be ready”.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you! We've once again been fortunate -- firefighters managed to gain control before wind blew flames over the mountain towards us. But with what we see happening in other areas, we're crossing our fingers, holding out breath, praying for ourselves and others.

      Delete
  2. It is indeed a scary time. None of us can say this will never happen here. It can happen anywhere, anytime. I heard that the Santa Ana winds became hurricane strength.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At one point, it did give me an idea of what a hurricane must feel like. We were lucky the fire was under control before the wind blew it over the mountain, towards us. But, just to be sure, some residents voluntarily left. I stayed prepared by sleeping with my make-up on. LOL.

      Delete