Saturday, December 23, 2017

Bad Neighbor

Feeling guilty and very much the bad neighbor for receiving but not giving Christmas cards.
I’ve not been into sending out cards in more years than I can recall, and I’m accustomed to receiving only one – from one of my daughters.
This year, I was surprised to receive cards from three neighbors – and not even neighbors in my quad, but neighbors in other areas of the complex who thought of me, plus a card from a long-time friend now living in Minnesota.
I thought about rushing out and picking up cards for these nice folks but, at this late date, it seemed such a bother that didn’t do so and feel like a very bad neighbor/friend.
Oh well, it is what it is.
Heading to a different medical center location yesterday, to get that ear infection antibiotic prescription filled, I learned that location had also been struck with computer system failure on Friday.
Wondering if it had been a hack, I went to Google. Didn’t find any mention of hacking, only that the outage was system wide and due to “internal computer glitches”.
Hmmmmm.
At any rate, prescription filled, I read the side effects -- diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, oral thrush, yeast infection.
What the heck!
I thought the purpose of antibiotics was to help, not harm but, inasmuch as I already have gut issues, and this so-called cure is worse than the infection, there is absolutely no way I am going to use it.
So what to do about the ear infection?
It occurred to me to do what I should have done in the first place – research holistic cures.
I learned garlic oil works just as well as antibiotics, and there are no unpleasant side effects, so I made a batch. Only, instead of drops in the ear, I’m playing it safe by using Q-tips to swab the area.
Garlic oil came highly recommended by users on quite a few sites, and since I let the infection go on for such a long time, I imagine it will disappear into the ethers but take a few days.
So doctor out-of-the way, I was looking forward to getting the last thing taking me out of the apartment, out of the area off my list – my appointment with the locktician (beautician for braids), so I could just stay in my unit and veg out until the holidays are over.
So off I go this morning, driving 45 minutes, arriving for my appointment only to find the locktician not there.
“She’s at the hospital on baby watch”, I was told. “One of her sons (girlfriend/wife ???) had a baby yesterday, the other son (girlfriend/wife ???) is expecting a baby today. She said she texted clients scheduled for today to let them know she’d be rescheduling them”.
I’m sure she did as she’s very professional, but she probably texted my old telephone number.
Not in the least annoyed, I texted the locktician my new number (which I’m sure I’d texted her before) and headed back, with a stop by Starbucks as I’d decided against being petty by putting a lump of coal in Head Maintenance Guy’s stocking – which I very well could have done and found just the right lump on Amazon.


Instead, I decided to be petty by purchasing a Starbucks gift card to put in the stocking of all the other staffers, except his.
Judge me not because, two things I’ve learned in my journey is 1) Own your feelings, whether right or wrong and 2) Do not reward bad behavior. 
While at Starbucks, I ran across an ornament I’d not seen before, brought it home and added it to my collection.

It's a little french press

So cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment