Monday, June 15, 2026

LA Pride, Part 2

How it started.







Our Driver Sheri from Auto Museum

Great Granddaughter, Granddaughter, Moi

Reps from Thrive Cosmetics

How it ended.

Our Other Driver


Driving slow, plus the heat of the sun, caused the celebrity car to overheat/breakdown about a half mile from the parade's end.

Inasmuch as it was the Legacy's car, our driver was incredibly embarrassed; but we said, no problem and were prepared to walk the rest of the way, until the Golf Cart came to the rescue for Granddaughter and I, while others stepped up to walk with the signage that had been on the car.




Other than that little snag, the parade, the various news interviews, people from cosmetic brands that had partnered with Twin 1's organization, various board members coming up to say wonderful things about Twin 1 was a lot, and all this was before we even got to the moment with Channel 7, by which time I was a bit of a mess … said I couldn’t speak, that Twin 1’s passing a month ago was still too raw.


For the record, Twin 1 actually passed away in January but, with all the hoopla causing it to be fresh in my mind, it was beginning to feel like it was yesterday.

So, anyway, the parade itself was the largest/longest-running parade I’ve ever seen, overwhelming actually.

So overwhelming that, even though I was given a VIP Pass to Pride Village, I passed, instead chose to be Golf Carted back to the area of the hotel, while the others soldiered on to the Pride Village event.



Being in the actual parade did not allow for an opportunity to capture much of the miles and miles and miles of what there was to see; but I did manage to capture Jesus.



And this lively group.



Upon arriving in Hollywood, I made a point of seeking out the asshole's star.


Surprisingly, this ancient, radiation-feeding megafauna also has his own star; but I bet nobody even thought of damaging, tearing up or spitting on his star.


18 comments:

  1. Hi Shirley, just popping in to read about the Pride Tribute to your daughter -- you all look fabulous and represented her spirit so well! Congrats! Glad you enjoyed the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb. Read your post earlier about Compton's Cafeteria, was wondering if Compton's stayed in business after the riots, read they did not ... changed their hours as a workaround to continue to discriminate, and it bit them in the butt, caused to go out of business. Booyah!

      Delete
  2. What a day! You should be very proud of Twin 1 and her legacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she was there. I smelled her scent in the hotel room and off/on during the parade.

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful tribute to Twin 1. So glad you were able to participate with your granddaughter and great granddaughter. She really was a beacon to so many and this is so meaningful. I don't blame you for going back to the hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was go back on the Golf Cart or later be carried out by EMT's on a stretcher, LOL.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful! Glad it was the car on the side of the road and not you. Lotsa lovely people. Twin 1's poster is a really nice photo. Bet the LA ABC station might be able to get you a tape of the entire parade to enjoy in your cool living room. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found the full video of the parade on Channel 7's website. Too much talking by anchors, not enough focus on the parade entries.

      Delete
  5. Such a proud moment for you, grand-, and great-granddaughter. The poster of Twin 1 is wonderful. I’d frame that! You sure do produce beautiful (and admirable) women!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I gave Granddaughter possession of all the signage, because it would have set me back as a reminder Twin 1 is no longer here if I'd kept any of it. I'm sure she'll do something special with the signage. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, my friend 🎂🏳️‍🌈

      Delete
  6. I am sad and happy for you. What a special way to be able to honor your daughter and all she accomplished in her life. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roberta, I'm a little sad and happy about it myself.

      Delete
  7. How great and what an honor for you and your daughter and granddaughter and great-granddaughter. All the generations represented!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't thought about that ... all the generations coming out to support and represent Twin 1. She would have loved realizing that.

      Delete
  8. Looks like a wonderful parade. I'm glad you were able to go.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So happy to hear how wonderful the Parade was even tho' emotionally it is predictable it overwhelmed you my Friend. You all looked fierce and a Three Generation Representation is really Special too. It was a beautiful way to Honor Twin 1 and her vast accomplishments in the Community. Those Older Vehicles always overheated, I remember my 1973 Maverick Grabber and my Brother's 1966 Mustang overheated in the Arizona heat so often we'd always carry Gallons of Water for the Radiators.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I felt so bad for the driver, but shit happens and the show went on. We were not only three generations representing Twin 1, but three generations of Pride Allies, with the Great Grandbabies heading to be a fourth generation.

      Delete