Last few days, with no prompting from myself, no search for anything with my name to cause this, I’ve been seeing t-shirts pop up in my Facebook feed … with my name.
FB is targeting me and, from the gist of what’s being said about me on the tees, seems to know me quite well.
I don’t need another t-shirt but have to admit that "It’s a Shirley Thing, You Wouldn’t Understand" is growing on me.
Crafty Lady called to say she was doing crafts today … could I come down take pics.
I could and I did. The ladies made gift bags and purses from paper bags.
The tea focused on Talker No. 2 …… the new old guy who was some kind of medical researcher, came to us from an apartment building down the street where he was exposed to black mold, says "eat organic".
If you can believe it, Talker herself says she tries to avoid him because "He’s a talker", lol.
Thing about his talking is that he talks and talks and talks, stops other residents asking, "Do you have a minute" to talk, but doesn’t say anything … mostly repeats "eat organic/how old do I look".
It’s sad because he’s probably lonely, but Talker No. 2 has no depth, no one is finding him interesting enough to sit and chat with.
I myself make sure he’s not outside sitting on the bench before I step out, and Talker says she does the same.
I got surprised, a few days ago, when I turned the corner towards the Laundry Room, and there he was sitting on the bench outside the Laundry Room door.
Fortunately, he wasn’t interested in talking to me as he was talking to the Lady with the White Dog … or trying to, because she looked like she’d rather be anywhere other than where she was, her body language reading posed to escape from the conversation, continue walking her dog.
As I moved to open the Laundry Room door, I could hear him saying the same things he said to me about eating organic/how old do you think I am.
Woman with the White Dog gave me a pleading look, I said something about him and I being the same age, with me a few days older, and saw his energy change. He tensed up, looked exasperated.
Obviously, he did not appreciate the interruption, though Woman with the White Dog did.
She took it as an opportunity to finally back away, make herself scarce; whereupon Talker No. 2 snapped, "I was going to tell her to eat organic. I'm trying to tell as many people as possible", got up and left.
As soon as he was out of sight, Woman with the White Dog came back to chat with me, lol.
She didn’t talk about him, we talked about her latest visit to where former Next Door Neighbor is now living, her surprise that "I can’t believe you’re 82", and the complex's painting project, that the painters seemed ahead of schedule, getting close to painting her building, necessitating her removing everything from her patio.
They got to her today. So close to me, well ahead of the July 29 schedule, that I today removed patio furniture from mine as well.
Other tea in today’s crafts session was Talker’s blind date.
It was a while ago that she mentioned going on a blind date but, hearing nothing back, I’d assumed it had not gone well, she didn’t want to talk about it, so I didn’t ask.
Turns out, it worked "very well", that she’d kept quiet because she wasn’t sure how the age difference would be perceived …… He’s 40, she’s in her late 60’s or early 70’s.
I scoffed at the age difference as something to be ashamed of because in my 50’s, I dated 20 somethings …… not relationships because they could never make it that far, just went on dates with a few.
They were not honest about their age, wouldn’t tell me how old for fear I’d not take them seriously; which put me in a quandary that I solved by, when we’d go to places where they had to show ID, I’d ask the ID Checker "Is he legal?" and received assurances I wasn’t breaking any laws.
Once I asked, "Is he legal" and got "barely".
The only other problem with dating younger guys being that, after a while, they get on one’s nerves, which is why they never got even to first base …… their immaturity plays out in one way or another.
Talker says she’s experiencing that getting on the nerves a bit now, but the fun she’s having is outweighing it …… for now.
I didn’t bring it up, but I’m seeing a correlation with Talker being in a relationship with a 40-year-old and her recent injuries.
All of a sudden, she’s having back pain, hip pain, an ankle injury from "dancing" and some days is seen using a cane, sometimes two canes.
Talker’s situation is reminding me of an old joke about something killing a person, but the person going out with a smile on their face.









Momma always told me (in the words of Bette Midler) Just remember that 20 goes into 60 a hell of more than 60 goes into 20
ReplyDeleteI don't know if it's just my dirty mind, but I'm not exactly sure I completely understand what Bette and your mom meant by that.
DeleteSadly, finding the "immaturity gets on my nerves" even in dating my own (72) age bracket guys. I think it's just the testosterone poisoning . . .
ReplyDeleteLOL. I can believe it.
DeleteI followed Bette; not sure she ever said that, but probably meant it; except now she's been married a long time. She and Jane Fonda are going to be at their own 250th party. Gotta tell that stalker / talker you don't want to talk right now. Him hanging by the laundry is stalking / too lonely. If they're painting your complex, I wonder if they're getting ready to sell it? Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteYes to the quote. Bette did say that. In trying to decipher the meaning of the quote, I researched and learned "Bette Midler's character, Brenda Cushman, in the 1996 movie The First Wives Club. She delivers this line to her husband, who left her for a much younger woman, using basic math to make a sharp point about aging and relationships" but, for some reason, it does not compute in my brain ... I'm not quite understanding the meaning. No to the paint job meaning a sale. Just another upkeep of outside appearances, while I can't even get a fucking upgrade on the toilet seat with peeling enamel. Outside means more to these people than what's happening inside ... unless and until an Inspector makes a note of it.
DeleteI LOVE those shirts!!! Perfection.
ReplyDeleteI have found that people, no matter what age, can be childish and boorish which is why I avoid most people.
It's a Shirley thing ... and I totally understand!
That's pretty much why I am so selective as to who I let into my life and go through spells of avoiding the world of people altogether. It's that old saying about familiarity breeding contempt ... for one reason or another, the nerves will eventually begin to fray.
DeleteWell, more power to her if she's having fun with her 40-something. I have a friend who is late 20's, mostly dating guys in their 50's. Whatever works!
ReplyDeleteWhen I first got divorced, I dated an older guy because he was thoughtful and spoiled me and the girls with his generosity, but it felt like an icky sacrifice I was willing to make because I had kids to raise. I promised myself that, once I got on my feet, I'd never date an older guy again and kept that promise to myself, Once, I became able to support myself and the girls, was when I began dating younger guys because they were attracted to me, and I enjoyed that fun energetic part of life they brought with them. I don't think age matters so much to me now. It's more an energy thing, a magnetic attraction that can happen with someone younger and/or someone old .... not older, because no one older than me is still alive, LOL.
DeleteI've never dated someone that much younger than me. In fact I don't think I've ever dated anyone younger than me. At 70 I don't want the drama of a young guy. The sex maybe....
ReplyDeleteAt this stage of the game, I can imagine that's all the young are good for but not yet realized .... don't know what they're doing, not as good as they think they are.
DeleteOk, I confess. I'm a sucker. If FB sends Barbara tees my way on a weak day I'll probably go for it. Hahahaha
ReplyDeleteFB is probably listening. So, don't be surprised if tees start showing up 🙂.
DeleteI've always preferred Older Men since they tended to be more Mature and I just have no patience for Immaturity even if it is attached to a Handsome Body and Face. *LOL* I was fortunate to Date some very Smart and Handsome Older Guys and Scored one *winks*, and so now here we are. I was 12 when The Man was in Vietnam... but after a certain Age, the Age difference doesn't really matter IMO... so long as both are Adults and find each other a good match, nobody should care how much older/younger than each other they are. As for Shirts, the algorithms and spying our devices do on us is kinda creepy, but does 'know' us, that's for sure. I like some of the Shirley Shirts. I too have more Shirts than any Sane Woman should Own... but, am I even Sane would probably be the more important Question than how many Shirts I have. *LOL*
ReplyDeleteI think you're right about "after a certain age, the age difference really doesn't matter". As long as there's a mutual connection and one or the other doesn't get on the nerves, it's all good. You do shirts like I do leggings, LOL.
DeleteMy real name is way to unique to every make it on a t-shirt. I was the one whose name was never on a key chain.
ReplyDeleteIf FB is listening, perhaps they'll take this as a challenge and make you a tee. 🙂
DeleteIt makes me think of the Bill Withers song, “Till You Use Me Up.” Those purses are clever!
ReplyDeleteLOL, pretty much the right tune; and now I can hear Bill Withers singing in my head.
DeleteCrazy lady did a good job with that purse craft. Did she pay for all those supplies herself? JanF
ReplyDeleteShe says she's bringing in old craft supplies she has on hand, but I suspect she's being generous, purchasing supplies with her own money for crafts she thinks the Usual Suspects will enjoy making. She's one of the few givers we have around here.
DeleteI think the craft came out well. You do have some interesting drama around you with all these people.
ReplyDeleteThere's probably a lot more drama going on around here than I'm aware of.
Delete