Sunday, June 7, 2026

Fancy Plants and Funny Money

I’d heard that, due to complaints from residents about and management’s dissatisfaction with the Landscaping Company, that as soon as the contract was up, the company would be replaced.

I think that has happened, and management has contracted with Edward Scissorhands because, when I headed out to the market yesterday, I saw plants and hedges had been somewhat artistically clipped and sculpted into a design.



It’s giving minimalistic, but kinda cute.

At the market, I really liked that they are now offering … "Do you want change (coins from the purchase) back or to donate" to schools.

I opt to donate because coins are so inconvenient …. I never know what to do with them except separate and store because they’re too heavy to carry around.

Though pennies have mostly been discontinued, the occasional I still get go into an old 5-gallon glass water jug that I’ve managed to hold onto for 25/30 years, quarters go into various mason jars, dimes and nickels go into cowboy boot planters.

A few days ago, when I was removing coins from my fanny pack ... coins that I somehow accumulated from places that did not offer the option to donate, I found an Indian Head Buffalo Nickel.



I can’t decipher a date or any markings that would indicate the coin is valuable, but it’s rare/valuable to me and was added to a pocket in the back of my Franklin Covey planner, where I keep funny money.


I don’t even know what half of these are, but I do know some are foreign, two are Susan B. Anthony dollars and the dollar bill looks like loot from the bank that got dye pack bombed in the getaway, was later washed and somehow passed on to me at Home Depot.

I once had a Kennedy Half Dollar, but it was stolen by contract workers management had sent in for repairs, when I lived in a loft building in Long Beach.

I know it was one of the two workers that stole the coin because one of the guys had spotted it, asked if I wanted to sell it. I'd said no, that I was saving it and heard his coworker say, "You should have just taken it".

He did just take it because, after the workers left, the Kennedy coin had mysteriously disappeared.

I hope the bad karma he created for himself was worth it.

24 comments:

  1. What shits those two contractors were. I hope the landscaping survives and thrive after that aggressive trim.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣🤣 Yep, we're pretty bare bones around here now, but I do kinda get a kick out of the hedges looking like little tables. Can't wait to hear what others around here are thinking about it.

      Delete
  2. The half dollar burns me!!! I used to collect half dollars in the early 70's when I would get them in change. I was saving for a window air conditioner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After all these years, it still burns me as well.

      Delete
  3. Indian Head Nickels were made 1913-1938, I keep mine too, and the Dollar Coin, and Two Dollar Bills, Kennedy Half Dollars... any Funny Money I come by, including International Coins as well, which, sometimes you get when Tourists accidentally spend them instead of American Coins. I don't mind Coins, don't like they discontinued the Penny, tho' I understand why they did, now it means every place rounds up to charge a little more and stuff is already expensive enuf. I have a Coin from my Mom's Country that is honoring the Druid Era, my Gran-Gran gave it to me and it was made back when every area minted their own Money and could only be spent in that area. The Coin is from the Anglesey Mines in Wales in the 18th Century {1787-1793}.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just read this morning that Donald Two Dolls wants to be on a new bill ... a $250 dollar bill. That will make an interesting addition to our funny money collections.

      Delete
  4. A lot of our local shops offer a "round up" option with the money going to either schools or shelters and soup kitchens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm all for it and hope the money is actually going where it is supposed to go ... schools, shelters, soup kitchens.

      Delete
  5. Wow - "and heard his coworker say, "You should have just taken it"." Yeah, I hope karma's a thing.
    As I understand it, Donald can't have is $250 bill because he's not dead yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if that's the case, he should hurry up and leave so the collectible bill can be issued.

      Delete
  6. Back in the day the Tooth Fairy would deliver silver dollars for a lost tooth. After a couple of emergency trips to the gas station to buy one I learned to keep a stash on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that Buffalo nickle. In fact, I rather like coins, not that I collect them, more like you, I dump them out of my purse. I used to put change from the fast-food joints in my door-handle cup. I think it kept my car from being torn up. They went through the glove box and console but there was nothing of value in my car except for the handful of change. Have it. Just don't tear up my car and cost me money. I think that is the one and only time, I know of, that I left my car unlocked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You literally paid for protection ... in coins, lol.

      Delete
  8. They took out all those lovely trees and then later put these in??? I hate to tell them but these will be even more high maintenance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it will be even more high maintenance and cost them up the wazoo. Would serve them right.

      Delete
  9. Jeebus, those bushes look like they've had buzz cuts, LOL! And with silver prices so high, it might be worthwhile to check your coins for pre-1964 ones as they have high silver content worth selling for scrap.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Buzz Cuts indeed ... all tops, no bottoms, lol.

      Delete
  10. Looks like the landscapers are paid by the hour and hacked the folage to make more work by picking up the choppings. Maybe they'll realign the dangerous rocks. I grew up in Oklahoma and we saw lots of Indian Head nickels. Might want to take that one to a coin store; I can't recall where the date is located. Even the Kennedy half dollars aren't too valuable because everybody collected. Even 1890 and 1920s silver dollars aren't that valuable; a few bucks more. My brothers and I sold some of my aunt's collection years ago, but they might be worth more with the cost of silver up. You can usually ask the bank counter to find you a $2 bill or order it. Let us know if you find a gold coin: (at $4500 an ounce now); we'll come party with you. Linda in Kansas where the buffalo still roam in some places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe one doesn't have to go to coin stores these days. There are Coin Identifier Apps one can download to smart phone. If I ever get the time, I'll search some of my coins; but seriously doubt I'll ever have that kind of time.

      Delete
    2. I'm scared of apps. I have as few as possible on my phone. But a coin value app wouldn't rip you off either! Linda in hot Kansas

      Delete
  11. I have some old coins and foreign coins that I got from my mom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With so many of us collecting coins, I'm surprised we've not created a coin shortage.

      Delete