Friday, June 5, 2026

Accident Waiting to Happen

That’s what I said when management had the landscapers dig up all the grass, replace with rocks … that rocks would end up on the walkway and seniors would be hurt.

So far, the count is two who have had their walker tip on rocks, causing them to fall and injure themselves — one being Painted Rock Lady.

Those injured have reported the incidents to management, but not a lot can be done, at this stage, unless and until it turns into more than simple scrapes and bruises.

I remember a few years ago, when Nurse Ratched was managing the place, a resident’s foot came in contact with a spot on the walkway that was connected unevenly, she fell, broke her elbow.

She was in a cast and sling for a long while (old bones don’t heal quickly).

All I know from the outcome was that the walkway was immediately repaired and rumors began to fly that she had been drunk at the time.

I don't know if management started the rumor to save themselves or if another resident put it out there; but news of that rumor got back to the resident, who was highly indignant … complained to anyone who would listen that "I wasn't drunk", even complained to me.

I can't say whether she was drunk or not but, the fact remains, the walkway did have a raised portion, an accident waiting to happen for any one of us.

Force of habit, when I’m out and about, I always look down when walking … not so much worried about rocks, more like irresponsible dog owners allowing their dogs to No. 2 on the walkway and/or any other kind of icky stuff I’d rather not have stuck to the bottom of my shoes.

So anyway, the rocks continue to be an issue.

My area is on a slope, which means rocks roll down onto the walkway at record breaking speed, leaving bald spots where rocks are gone, exposing the plastic sheeting covering the ground.


I spotted Head Maintenance guy scooping rocks back to cover the bald spots just last week.

It probably doesn’t help that the occasional adventurous soul will attempt a shortcut across the rocks and go SPLAT! … like when 3-Year-old Great Grandbaby was here for a visit a few weeks ago.

SPLAT!

And just this morning, a delivery person managed the ascent, but went SPLAT! on the descent.


Excuse my sick sense of humor, but this one had me ROFLMAO, as I rewatch ten times.

And don't judge me for using the delivery service you see in the video. I don't agree with their business practices and the way they treat workers but, in this and outlining areas, where everything is either behind locked cabinets and/or not available at all, it's a service I of necessity must utilize.

Other than that, not a lot going on as I sit on my behind getting fat and lazy because the indoor walking pad is making a squeaking noise and it’s too hot to walk outside; but I suppose any excuse will do when one really doesn’t want to get off the couch.

16 comments:

  1. The video clip I could watch over and over is when that ICE Agent slipped on the real ice in Minneapolis and fell on his ass, LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those rocks are an accident, and lawsuit, waiting to happen.
    And, it's not funny to laugh at people who fall ... but we all do it! Hell, I even laugh when I fall, and I am a tripper and faller from way back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lawsuit is what it's going to take for them to realize rocks were a mistake.

      Delete
  3. We have the same issue at my senior facility with the raised sidewalk sections causing people to fall and hurt themselves, some serious enough to cause them a trip to ER. Here in MI the weather plays a part in sidewalk raising and every year they have those areas repaired but there is always a new place popping up. I always walk out side with my walker (which I don't need at all inside). It also gives me a place to sit if I need it along the way.

    Putting landscapes stones along side your sidewalks was stupid beyond belief!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have two old guys using walkers, who get together daily, go outside the property for a smoke, sit in the seats of their walkers, watch the cars go by. "So cute" I always think when I see the two headed out. "Stupid beyond belief" is right, but I don't know what they can do about it now except hope no more residents are injured.

      Delete
    2. I wonder if the two old guys are younger than we are? JanF

      Delete
    3. I know, for sure, they're younger than I am, lol.

      Delete
  4. I knew those Rocks replacing the Grass would be a bad idea in a Senior Complex... I don't know what they were thinking other than to save on their Water/Maintenance Bill but not concerned about their Resident's Safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saving on water/maintenance may cost them in the end if someone gets seriously hurt.

      Delete
  5. We recently had a strange sidewalk repair happen. They used a type of sander to level the side that was higher and then where the wood spacers are between concrete pads they filled some but not all. Can't really figure out the plan there - do as little as possible?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those rocks were such a dumb idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The landscaper folks didn't put the rocks down correctly. Go out and cut that plastic so the rocks will stay where intended. Still kinda dumb. The delivery person trying to walk and enter data into their device may have just caused an ankle injury. Hope the mower team doesn't throw rocks out either. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That plastic does look pretty slippery, hard for rocks to adhere to. The fix Head Maintenance did last week, by scooping rocks back in place, is already coming undone and no way would it have been funny if the delivery person had actually injured herself. I'm glad I got a laugh, several actually, and she walked away unscathed.

      Delete