I no longer have the second floor all to myself because the eagle has landed, furniture and all.
Hearing thumps, bumps, footsteps going up/down the stairs yesterday, I was too lazy to get off the couch, watch what was being brought in.
However, at one point, I began thinking she was probably just as curious as to what to expect from whoever was behind the door across from her, as I had been about her, so I stepped out onto the patio, saw who I assumed was her daughter bringing in plastic flowers — which is not good feng shui, but not my problem.
From the patio, I offered welcome words to the daughter, who said it’s her mother moving in, made a comment about her mom saying this is the last move she’ll ever make because, after living 34 years in wherever she’s coming from, moving is too exhausting. Mom caught up, we exchanged names, I told her she’d be happy here, and that was that.
With the preliminaries out of the way, sensing no warning bells, deciding she was dubbed White Haired Neighbor (thanks Bob for the moniker), I really wasn’t interested in anything else, went back inside to what I was doing, which was trying to talk myself unsuccessfully into heading outside, to put in some walking miles.
An hour or two later, the phone rings. It’s Talker …… "So what have you found out about your new neighbor? I see her moving in", π€£.
"Just her name, that she seems okay, I’ll leave the rest up to you" (because Talker is like the unofficial welcome wagon … makes a point to meet everyone she sees on the property, learn their life story).
I expect the smoke signals and Indian drums have signaled the eagle has landed, that I have a new neighbor and, when caught outside, I will be given the third degree as to who what when.
I know just how you feel. The neighbors next to my house just moved out and they were lovely. The house literally sold in a weekend. After a couple weeks the new neighbor just moved in a single older lady, who seems pretty nice and I found out she owned the catering company. Not bad.
ReplyDeleteOf course had I had my way I was hoping for a single ripped muscular South American!!!! LOL
I'm okay with what I've got, but had I been given a choice, I can see myself opting for a single ripped muscular South American too ..... or Asian π
DeleteDon’t you think we all deserve a ripped muscular South American? Makes no difference to me if he’s single or not.
Deleteπ€£π€£π€£π€£ Don't let San G know you don't care if single or not.
DeleteYou all make me laugh! Too funny!
DeleteJennifer: I think we're serious about wanting ripped and muscular π
DeleteWhy would San Geraldo care if the hunk is single or not? Anyway, we don’t need one from South American. We’ve got ripped, muscular Spaniards right here.
DeleteBecause someone could come along, not care you're married, and tempt either you away or him away or, if they're kinky, both.
DeleteOh, don’t worry, Shirley. I talk big but I’m not even tempted.
Deleteπ
DeleteSo far, so good! It can be a pensive time when a new neighbor moves in. She's lucky to be moving next to you, anyway.
ReplyDeleteWhat a nice thing to say. Thank you!
DeleteHopefully she's a nice lady and there won't be too much drama from the new neighbor.
ReplyDeleteSo long as she's not MAGA, voting red, we'll get along just fine.
DeleteWell, WHM might just be a nice addition, though you'll have to wait on all the tea for Talker's Newbie Newsletter™!
ReplyDelete"Newbie Newsletter" ... another good moniker for me to one day use.
DeleteP.S. Used it already in replying to a comment, LOL.
DeleteI hope it will be fine. π€here's hoping no maga signs!!
ReplyDeleteShe'd have to be completely insane to advertise that kind of foolishness with a sign, or anything else, in this complex, as even our current MAGA neighbor has gone on the downlow, hidden that side of herself.
DeleteSenior places like we both live in all seems to have an unofficial welcome wagon. Ours was born more out of nosiness than a genuine desire to be helpful to the newest residents.
ReplyDeleteWhen I first moved it, we had an Official Welcome Wagon resident. She knocked on the door, looked shell shocked when she saw me, for reasons I've never thought about, introduced herself, welcomed me, offered me a coffee cup with the complex logo on it that I still have stored somewhere. I didn't invite her in for a chit chat, tell her what she needed for the Newbie Newsletter and I don't recall ever seeing her again. The complex changed management hands shortly after, there was a mass exodus of residents, so I assume she was one that moved, and the welcome wagon turned into a grapevine.
DeleteCan't recall if you have elevators. Surprised a woman moving into her "last place" would try a second floor. A non-MAGA would be nice, but hopefully she's not a restrained bigot. Be nice, stay out of jail. I'd move next door, but flat Kansas is pretty cheap where I'm at (retiree/transition apartment owned by a nurse buddy's church, first floor.) But we have our weekly tornado TV warning watch, so we can't go to bed until it's passed by. Linda
ReplyDeleteStairs, no elevator. I too declared this was my last move, that my next move would be to the grave, because it was too exhausting; and I specifically requested an upstairs unit because, being single, it felt safer (it is) plus stairs are good exercise. A restrained bigot would be in hell on this side of the quad, because we're all Black, lol. There's one White and one Hispanic neighbor on the side of the quad facing us, but White Haired Neighbor is like in an Oreo cookie situation on this side. I'd never thought of it before, but we seem to have a healthy mixture of every color in the complex, foreign and domestic, and some quads with more of one color than others. It's just how the Universe has brought us all together.
DeleteYou never know, maybe your new neighbour will turn out to be an active and outraged Democrat who can't wait to vote in the mid-terms. That might just MAGA-lady go up in flames!
ReplyDeleteSo far, she's either very quiet inside OR still working, leaving early in the AM because I never hear her door open. Fun Fact: We used to be a polling/voting place ... so convenient for those of us who lived here. That too went away when new management took over.
Delete