Today’s Memorial Day BBQ went off without a hitch and was the success it usually is when it’s an event us residents set up for ourselves.
There was tons of food and about 35 residents in attendance.
I arrived early, took the table in a back corner where I could see everything, get up/down easily to take photos, and hoped I’d be mostly to myself.
Instead, I ended up feeling trapped and suffocating with too many people surrounding me, as my table filled up first.
MAGA chose to sit at my table and, for once, didn’t do or say anything that annoyed me. She performed just like a regular human, even spilled some interesting tea about residents I don’t know; information she’s gleaned from walking around with her dog, attaching herself to others like she’s been trying to do with Talker, in order to get all up in their business.
Dream Lover manned the BBQ and, when all the chicken and hotdog were done, came inside, sat first at one table then, when Lu came in later, ended up sitting next to Lu.
Lu didn’t handle him like she used to ……… hands possessively all over him. So, it wasn’t clear to me if they were just friends or back on again.
I couldn’t resist ……… at one point as I was passing that table, seeing Lu engaged in conversation with someone on the other side of her, I stopped, quickly leaned over Dream Lover, whispered in his ear "Are you two in love again?"
He shook his head a resounding "No".
I was quick, already moving to walk away when something, or someone at the table, alerted Lu to something going on between Dream Lover and I.
She quickly turned around, only saw me walking away, but I can imagine someone at the table will tell her about the whispering, and she'll wonder.
Let her wonder; I'm not worried about that, but I did do something at the BBQ that does have me worried.
Sometimes I can be abrupt to the extreme, and this was one of those times.
Crafty Lady brought her two grandsons to the BBQ.
I said before that I’m not good at guessing ages, so I can’t tell you how old the boys are, but maybe around 9 and 10.
The boys were playing games, starting with chess. I happened to be walking by when I saw they’d switched to checkers.
"I’ve not seen a checkerboard in eons", said I; whereupon, the elder boy asked, "Do you play?"
"I don’t know, it’s been a long long time, I don’t even remember how to start".
The younger said, "I’ll help you", so I sat down across from the older boy.
As the younger began instructing me on how the game is played, I looked up and found Crafty Lady removing the elder from his seat across from me, sitting her own self down to play against me.
Here’s where abrupt took over ……… "HEY! What’s going on? I’m playing with the boys. Get up. Give him his seat back".
She did, and disappeared to help with serving food to the seniors; but now I’m worried that I came across too strong, that she will have a delayed reaction, think about it and decide to be offended at the way I spoke to her, if she hasn't already.
I have no plans to apologize. I'll just worry that I did a wrong thing.
As for how the game played out, he won of course; but I had him on the ropes for a while, as the game moves began to come back to me.
I’m also worried about something else that happened today. First was a message I received at 10:17 AM from a former co-worker friend, not in the habit of sending me messages …… "You've been on my mind all morning. Just sending you love through Instagram". I replied, "Thanks! Insofar as I know I'm good, so don't know why you're picking me up". She replied, "I'm not sure why either but it felt like I needed to tell you I was thinking of you. You are truly one of kind and I'm glad I know you". I was getting eulogy vibes, pondered it for a bit, then pushed it out of my head. THEN, at 5:24 PM, a message from Trainer arrived …… "What's up Shirley just checking in on you hope all is well". So now I'm worried again but replied, "Still alive". I don’t know what to make of the two telepathically picking me up. On the other hand, I do know, but ………………

Shirley, I think you need to start a new, never-ending needlepoint project to keep your mind off things!
ReplyDeleteI've been doing my escaping thinking through all day Chinese Dramas, but "every time I take myself out, they pull me back in" with these kinds of messages.
DeleteIt was rude to take that young boy out of his seat while you were playing a game. Some people ... sheesh.
ReplyDeletePerhaps it's just holiday thing, thinking of people and reaching out.
It was rude, especially when it was the kid himself that asked me to play; but I was too harsh. I know what happens when a particular person pops into my mind, so it's worrisome to me when it happens to me ... I'm the one popping up in the mind of others.
DeleteSweet kids! You did the right thing by them. Don’t worry bout it. As for those texts, I think it’s just ppl who have been touched by you, realizing they have lost contact and trying to make up for it. It’s all good. Don’t overthink it.
ReplyDeleteToo late. I'm seriously overthinking it and taking preparation measures.
DeleteI am grinning ear to ear at those leggings! Bet you made those yourself too!
ReplyDeleteI wonder if maybe the one boy has learning problems and that's why Grandma stepped in, to save embarrassment? JanF
I did make those leggings. It was back in 2014 when I had a mind for patriotic leggings to wear at an event, couldn't find anything to purchase that I liked, so I put together the red fabric on one leg, blue on the other and fabric painted the white stars. Have worn these leggings every year since on Memorial Day and 4th of July.
DeleteTwo people touching bases with you over a holiday weekend probably doesn't mean anything ominous. The older I get the more I use holidays as a reminder to touch bases with old friends and I'm betting I'm not the only one who does that.
ReplyDeleteI don't know. It's a bit unsettling right now.
DeleteLove the leggings. And I could not have resisted a checkers game with those adorable young men either. Why she had to uproot him, I will not understand.
ReplyDeleteI don't know why either or where she even came from to do that, because she was supposed to be about her organizer duties. She was either keeping an eye on the boys or an eye on me, as she sometimes does, and saw an opportunity .... and just when she was beginning to no longer creep me out.
DeleteYou were enjoying and engaged in a game with the grandson and your focus and the game was interrupted. I don't think that you have anything for which you need to apologize. I think that the tone may have been a result of the upset of your focus and engagement in the moment. Perfectly understandable.
ReplyDeleteWill Jay
PS I hope that the touching base contacts are simply people in your life who felt that you needed a bit of love sprinkled in your direction. I think that it is rarely inappropriate to say thank you or love you.
I think that's why I snapped at her ... because the interruption was uninspected.
DeleteGiven your recent bereavement, I think it's rather nice that people (especially Trainer) care enough to see how you're doing. If you like to read and need a distraction, I've just started a really good novel entitled, "The Astral Library" by Kate Quinn. It's opening sentence is "Have you ever wanted to live inside a book?".
ReplyDeleteThanks for the book suggestion. I've a book started, two or three lined up but can't do quiet things like read or meditate right now. Into loud messy things, escape vehicles like TikTok, Chinese Dramas, Food Network competitions.
DeleteWhen someone is touched by death there are many people reaching out to see how you are and what can be done. I applaud those who remember to do it again after the fact.
ReplyDeleteI guess, but two in one day is strange, especially with having seen Trainer just a week or so ago.
DeleteThat was rude for the other person to try and kick the kid off his chair. Glad you didn't sock them, so your response was fine. The checkers kid was probably glad to see someone defend his existence. Love the leggins. It's a 3-day weekend. People have time to unwind and think straight. Might be the reason good folks had a chance to think about and check in on you. No eulogy needed. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteThe person (Crafty Lady) is the kid's grandma. Her being the matriarch of that family, the kid has probably never heard anyone step up to his grandma ... tell her what to do rather than the other way around. He didn't seem to mind, LOL.
DeleteWell, Telepathically you haven't been picked up by me my Friend so I think you're Good. *Winks* And perhaps you just were on their Heart and Minds, it happens, and doesn't always forebode something doomy. But, I can see how it could be unsettling. Also, do they know about your recent profound Loss? That could be it too, how you're doing as you go thru the normal stages of Grief... I'm checking in on my Friends who've recently Lost someone Beloved becoz I know it can take a long time to process it and that it is always with you now. I'm so glad that the BBQ went so well and that the Residents Organized it. Dream Lovers Whisper from you may have them all talking. *Winks* But I don't think you were too harsh with the Checkers Crasher really, and if she does approach about it, you could just say you were having such Fun with the Kids and said what you did without intending any Offense, which I'm sure is True coz you regret saying it perhaps in the Tone it came out. I do that a lot, I'm not the most Tactful person and my Intentions are never to be Hurtful, but, could come across as tho' perhaps they did cause Hurt Feelings.
ReplyDeleteGlad you checked in, as I was very interested in knowing if you were picking up anything. Since you are not, I think I can stop spazzing out. The former co-worker friend knows about Twin 1, Trainer does not. And who knows if my whispering in Dream Lover's ear hasn't improved his rep, given him some value, some street cred so Lu might think better of playing him just for cash, LOL.
DeleteWe are having some major drama here and from the two nicest people each doing an irritating thing in different ways. Sometimes I wish I was back in the old days when I didn't have time to know my neighbors but I'm sure I'd be lonesome - so be careful what you wish for, right.
ReplyDeleteIn my experience with neighbors, there's always something ... sometimes good, sometimes bad, but at least, living in senior facilities, we have the option and ability to be on the outside looking in ... not involved, just watching the show.
DeleteI’d just stick to your little chat with Dream Lover and the reaction. That should be good for more laughs.
ReplyDeleteIt's all good, so long as Ernie doesn't hear about it, LOL.
DeletePeople are just thinking of you - nothing nefarious to worry about, you're just on their minds. x Viv
ReplyDeleteJust like the sidebar says ... they should stop doing that.
DeleteI love all the drama that you tell us about going on there.
ReplyDeleteI love watching it, LOL. Keeps life interesting.
Delete