The market …… not at the corner, but a branch of the same market located further down the road, in the heart of where the homeless congregate, surrounded by quite a lot of high iron fencing — like a prison, to control access, keep the unhoused out, is fast becoming my favorite.
Why?
Not just because, due to redlining, the produce is fresher/lasts longer, but because it’s where blog worthy things have happened to me — like that young man who stopped me to say, "My friend said you’re pretty" and where today I was referred to as "Chocolate ice cream" and received a proposal of marriage.
An old guy coming into the market, as I was exiting, looked at me and said "Chocolate ice cream …… I love chocolate ice cream …… marry me" and didn’t care who heard him say it.
I began laughing, which seemed to encourage him because he turned, took a few steps to follow behind me (don’t worry; I wasn’t going to let him follow me to the car), still talking, giving me his qualifications, starting with …… "I’m 62".
Appreciating his boldness in getting straight to the chase I said, "I’m older than you" which seemed to slow his roll.
He left it at "God is good", which I took to mean I was looking good for being older than his 62, then he walked back towards the market entrance, repeating "God is Good" twice more.
Other than that, nothing’s shaking …… especially here at the complex.
Before heading out to the market, I went to detour to the mail room and then to check on the folks in the Community Room on this Kesha Tuesday, but ran into the Baker who indicated everything was closed off due to start of the exterior upgrade of the complex …… painters working on the main building and the mail room.
Baker also tells me the rooms being roped off today doesn’t matter, because Kesha hasn’t been around on a Tuesday for quite some time.
Hmmmmm????
The current paint on the exterior looks fine to me, not in need of a paint upgrade, but what do I know other than Management seems to spend a boatload of money on the outside, penny pinches on upgrading or making repairs to the inside, and spend practically nothing on events.
Their priorities are F’d up.
But for the Baker hosting Easter Luncheon, there would have been nothing for the seniors, because Management did absolutely nothing for Easter. Not even the usual bag of potato chips.
So, anyway, in conversation with the Baker, I asked about Dream Lover and, sure enough, he and Lu are fighting again …… have broken up.
She said she can’t keep up with which one is mad at the other and for what reason as it happens so often, LOL, only that they are currently not a couple; but instead of chasing someone else’s tail this time around, Dream Lover got a job …… two actually.
He works at the hospital in Loma Linda, escorting people around and volunteers at one of the senior centers in Fontana.
She said she’s booked Dream Lover to man the grill at the Memorial Day BBQ by which time, if he hasn’t hooked up with someone else, he and Lu will probably be on again.
Management doesn’t seem to be in a hurry to prep the vacant unit across from me. I’ve not seen anyone come in to clean, paint, new carpet.
However, that tacky doormat is gone; but only because I couldn’t take it any longer, grabbed the red cover on my way to the trash bin last Friday, left the doormat that was beneath the red cover in place, tossed the cover in with the trash.


I would have roses that red thing, too! I will never think of chocolate ice cream in the same way again. You are irresistible. I wondered how old the old guy was!
ReplyDeleteI shouldn't have thought of him as an "old guy" because he didn't look bad for his age, which he said was 62. "I will never think of chocolate ice cream in the same way again" 🤣
DeleteI imagine it was nice to have an admirer at the store, especially a respectful one, Chocolate Ice Cream!
ReplyDeleteChocolate ice cream is a new one for me. I've been called Special Dark, after one of the Hershey flavors, but never ice cream, LOL.
DeleteThere was a homeless guy camped out in a corner of our parkade last night, huddled under a blue tarp with a forced-air heater plugged into the electrical outlet meant for car block heaters. It was below freezing here, since it's still winter. Glad he had that little heater. Frostbite is a big issue here among the unhoused.
ReplyDeleteI can't imagine being unhoused in freezing temperatures 😭
DeleteThat marriage proposal was a hoot!
ReplyDeleteI admired his being so brash and bold. Back in the old days, that would have caught my attention. Now things like that just make me laugh.
DeleteWell, ice cream is cuz you're cool too! At least someone has a job if the place is getting painted on the outside. At least think about that proposal! Knew a doc's widow who was mostly paralyzed, being prepped for surgery of some sort. The young resident asked her if there was anything else she needed beforehand: she replied "Marry me." Really baffled him. Be careful around your new grocery. Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteI'm not liking the new paint job. Something looks weird about the areas painted differently to accessorize/accent. Will have to get photos to show you guys.
DeleteI agree, things like that make me laugh. My favorite was decades ago when a car in a parking had some young men making catcalls at a little blonde (me). They stopped when I stepped out of my car nine months pregnant. Sorry boys.
ReplyDeleteChocolate Ice Cream - now that IS a compliment!
LOL. Those boys didn't know what was in store for them, but I bet you looked just as cute while pregnant.
DeleteI love the Chocolate Ice Cream. Such a sweet compliment. I believe I'd be going to that store regularly.
ReplyDeleteLOL. I should.
DeleteThat fellow's chocolate ice cream compliment was cute -- I'm glad he didn't set off the creep-o meter by adding cherries or whipped cream! Sounds like a new Tea Season has arrived at your complex, YAY!
ReplyDeleteIt was a clever come on. Spontaneous, not rehearsed. Love your enthusiasm for a new Tea Season 🤣
DeleteI wonder if Kesha is gone?
ReplyDeleteWe've had a lot of painting and such at my complex recently too.
I dunno if she's gone, but time will tell.
DeleteIt's always nice to get sincere compliments. And I also wonder if Kesha is gone? You do get the Vacancy Vibe sometimes from a place and it's looking like it could be Vacated.
ReplyDeleteStill no definitive word on Kesha, but the calendar indicates Easter Celebration on the 21st. We'll see if we get the food/fun promised or another bag of potato chips and if Kesha shows up.
Delete