SIGNAL BOOST for Blogging Buddy Mary Kirkland of Dark Thoughts: Mary’s daughter Lizzie is currently hospitalized with double pneumonia, sepsis, has been diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure, will be on oxygen for the foreseeable future and could really use some help with medical expenses.
If you would be so kind, Lizzie’s best friend Savanna has organized a GoFundMe for Lizzie HERE.
This is awful for Mary. My heart goes out to her and Lizzie.
Next Door Neighbor finally moved.
She’s gone, but that ugly assed tacky doormat remains.
Now askew from having been trampled on during the move.
I'm tempted, but don’t dare be so presumptuous as to toss the doormat in the trash myself. I’ll wait for management to discard. However, now that it's askew, I see there is an actual doormat under that red cover. So, if it looks like management is not going to toss it I will, under cover of darkness, make sure the red cover gets to the dumpster.
Why I say NDN "finally moved" is because, with a team of three/four male relatives (plus, when our downstairs neighbor’s son Compton …… the kid that wants to be my Boy Toy saw the move happening, he jumped in to help), it took 3 days, all day — morning, noon, night. Sometimes as late as 11:30 pm to complete the move.
I wasn’t annoyed by the noise during the day or late into the night; doubt any others in the quad made a stink about it. Instead, I was impressed with the dedication and amazed at their stamina — up/down the stairs to the U-Haul, load, drive 15 miles to the new place, unload, drive back to this complex, repeat.
I told NDN it was exhausting for me just to see how much work was going into the move.
Before leaving, she chastised me …… "You've never come to visit".
Yep. She went there.
Meaning, I never knocked on her door, hung out with her for coffee, conversation, play cards.
I wanted to say, "I've got better things to do than bore myself listening to your mundane conversations about things I have no interest in", but what I actually said was, "I'm not the visiting kind", to which she nodded affirmative, like she already knew that.
So, anyway, the days it took (Friday, Saturday, Sunday), with the number of people NDN had helping, brought back when I moved out of the apartment in Long Beach to this complex. As I recall, it only took a few hours with a team of two.
The difference is Next Door Neighbor has soooooooooo muuuuuch stuff — expensive, heavy, museum quality furniture, artwork, artifacts, memorabilia from when she travelled with her then military officer husband to countries where she had servants. Material objects that she says, though she can’t take it with her when she goes, she’s going to enjoy it while she’s here, let others worry about it when she’s gone.
I get it, and though I don’t have expensive museum quality stuff, I do have things that are hard for me to let go of — things that have no value, can’t be sold or donated after I’m gone; but things, like NDN, I enjoy surrounding myself with while I’m here.
I think I’ve done fairly well in decluttering the place, to not let the things I hold onto reach the level NDN has but, now looking around, I suddenly feel there’s still too much unnecessary stuff.
Time for me to do another decluttering/deep dive death cleaning.
On Saturday, when I walked into the bedroom to pull paperwork from a drawer, through that window I spied Talker sitting on the bench with a nice-looking guy.
Talker recently dyed the gray out of her hair to prepare for a blind date.
Seriously …… a friend is setting her up with a blind date.
What!? thought I when she told me.
A blind date????
At our age????
"Brave", I told her.
So, anyway, seeing her sitting there with that guy, I texted, "I’m looking out the window at you. Is that your blind date?"
I watched as she picked up her phone, looked at the text, bent over laughing, looked over, saw me waving from the window; whereupon, she called me on the phone, said, "No, it’s one of my granddaughter’s uncles. He’s a fireman".
I think I previously mentioned that Little Knock Knock has some eye candy looking uncles.
"He’s handsome", said I to which, listening to the telephone conversation, he responded, laughingly, "Thank you Miss Shirley".
I am so sure it’s not the first time that fireman has been complemented on his looks; and won't be the last time.
Talker is going to get good mileage on the retelling, to everyone she knows, possibly including the blind date when she gets to know him, that I was watching her through the window, getting all up in her business.
In other news, the seniors are throwing themselves an Easter Luncheon this Wednesday, April Fool's Day but no fooling.
There's likely to be a crowd.
I'm not yet ready for hanging with the folks. Taking a pass.



Wonder who's gonna move into the emptied place? If you do some pitching of stuff, don't throw out the 47 doll! You're gonna need bigger pins! Linda in Kansas
ReplyDeleteDon't worry, the dolls definitely stay, LOL.
DeleteI love your text exchange.You made Talker’s and Fireman’s day! I had two blind dates in my life. Both before I came out. The first, I was 18, and we doubled with my best friend and his girlfriend. We saw Love Story. I thought I would pull my hair out (I had a lot of hair then). The second was when I was around 23. My aunt set me up, insisted she was “a smart and beautiful girl.” She was neither. She was 20 and was shocked to find out how old I was. It didn’t get any better.
ReplyDeleteYou were 23, she was 20 .... why was she shocked to find out how old you were as that's not a huge age gap? My mom, in one of the many things she did to try to ruin my life, set me up with two blind dates when I was around 14/15. Too young to date, not interested in boys yet. It scares me now to think back on how I was left alone with guys who were obviously older than myself, one a football play, Green Bay Packer, the other worked with my stepfather. I was really shy, timid, didn’t know how to take care of myself back in the day. Anything could have happened.
DeleteI couldn’t understand what was so old about 23 to a 20-year-old. But that was the major part of our conversation, except for when Last Dance came on the car radio and she screamed “This is my song!”
Delete🤣 Weird girl. Her loss, SanG's gain.
DeleteMiss Shirley, I will give you props for NOT saying "I've got better things to do than bore myself listening to your mundane conversations about things I have no interest in." But instead giving her the "It's not you, it's me."
ReplyDeleteI would have said that first thing, and then smiled like I was kidding but knowing I wasn't.
And, is it just me, or are all firemen hot?
Bob, I read your Why Is It so I know you would not have held back, LOL. And I think just the word "fireman" makes even a basic guy look hot. I dated a younger than me fireman back in the day. He was alright, but when I once saw him in his captain's uniform, leading his squad, he went from alright to DAMN!
DeleteAnd no Bob! All firemen are NOT HOT. Someone once tried to match make me up to one, and he was a 5 in looks, and a tub!!!! Just how he went up ladders or down the pole at the firehouse was beyond me. They must have used Crisco, which as we know is good for many things.
Delete"5 and a tub?" ????? was this a small-town fire department ... hired through nepotism?
DeleteI am a speed mover too. One of my pet peeves (in the old days when I helped relatives move) was showing up and they hadn't even started packing. I am a throw it all in a box and go. And a speed unpacker, too. Three solid days would drive me crazy as the mover. Now, as the neighbor watching it would be three days of entertainment!
ReplyDeleteNot packed yet is grounds for turning around going back home. I remember when I moved from Long Beach, I had everything correctly packed and boxes labeled. Labelling was helpful in that I could take my time unpacking as needed once I arrived. I hope to never have to move again as it took a toll on my body.
DeleteOh, and yes, I was looking for entertainment, maybe snapping photos of all her beautiful objects, but she had everything covered.
DeleteKnowing me, I'd throw those sorry ass looking doormats out then deny it! They may rot till management gets to it! LMAO! Or maybe send them to the Dump at the White House. He'll think someone sent him Triscuits.
ReplyDeleteIf I labeled it as an AWARD, he'd surely appreciate it.
DeleteI thought the correct greeting to handsome firefighters is "I'm on fire"!
ReplyDeleteOr "fire down below!"
DeleteOnce upon a time when I was young and foolish, I was part of a bunch who helped a friend move, including 10 tons of scrap wood in the basement she was keeping for some kind of mysterious wood-working projects. It taught me why her friends only ever helped her move ONCE. And she was the kind who moved every six months kind of thing. No wonder she was always on the lookout for new friends.
ReplyDeleteGood Lord! Every six months? Was she scamming landlords?
DeleteNo, she was just one of those people who needed to be on the constant move re everything -- apartments, jobs, girlfriends, etc. Just couldn't seem to settle down. Eventually, she would always end up switching cities too, once she alienated/ran out of all possible friends in each city's LGBTQ community. Goddess alone knows where she is now.
DeleteInteresting.
DeleteWe have a high turnover rate here and have new tenants all the time.
ReplyDeleteThank you so much for sharing the fundraiser, I really appreciate that.
So sorry you and your daughter are having to deal with this.
DeleteThank you, I appreciate that.
Delete