Wednesday, November 12, 2025

The Great Reveal



4 years … 4 months … 3,391 hours, not counting time spent prepping the piece in 2021, cleaning week before last, framing yesterday.

I can now hear myself repeating the words of Olivia de Havilland, in the closing scene of her 1949 film the Heiress as she placed the finishing stitch to her canvas … "I shall never do another".

There was a snafu in delivering the frame, which is why there was no delivery on Friday as notice indicated or on Sunday, as a revised notice indicated.

Going into tracking, I found the package was stuck because, at some point in the shipping process, the Apartment Number had been left off the address.

Once I added the Apt Number into the system on Monday, the snafu cleared and the apt number then appeared twice …… once because it was already correctly listed in the system, twice because I’d reentered it.

Go figure, but whatever works, and it did work as there was a successful delivery yesterday.

The week started off with a hug from Ernie on Monday …… even though I was wearing the "Look but do not touch" top and even though he saw it, read the words out loud before he pulled me into a hug.

I’d had to leave my sanctuary that morning to pick up photos that had been developed at the drugstore.

While in that area, I drove through the Starbucks down the street and, driving out, spotted that Nazi car again …… the one I’d spotted outside of that same Starbucks near a Dental Office a few months ago.


I get excited every time I see one of these abominations, am able to capture a pic. The feeling is much like hunters must feel at having caught big game in the wild.

I'm easily entertained, LOL.

Arriving back at the complex, I stepped out of the car, heard Ernie’s voice teasing, "Where’s my coffee" as he walked towards me, opened his arms for a hug, paused, read my shirt out loud, hugged me anyway, LOL.

With coffee in one hand, a package in the other, I was pretty much at Ernie's mercy, couldn't straight arm him.

Ernie is friendly, sweet, incorrigible, and I suspect may be a bit of a perv …… that all this hugging is his way of copping a feel.

Hopefully he’ll one day get a girlfriend, so he can rein in all this random hugging.

Today, I’m off to the medical center in Redlands for a blood pressure check to get the doctor off my back.

She’d been requesting a BP check, have people calling me to take it, even went so far as to schedule an appointment for me to take it at a facility I never go to for BP checks because parking is problematic and, once checked in, it takes too long to get the check.

Once, they left me sitting waiting for a full hour. Whereupon, I was too upset, BP surely off the chart from aggravation, so I walked out, only to get a threatening call later that if I didn’t get a BP check, the medication would be withheld.

What the hell, said I. I showed up for the scheduled check, it was you people who dropped the ball.

At any rate, I’ve been going to the Redlands facility ever since, where the process is easy breezy.

After that’s taken care of, who knows what wonderful adventure today will bring.

33 comments:

  1. Your cross-stitch piece turned out beautifully. Wow, I admire your perseverance for such a lengthy project! The Heiress is one of my favourite Olivia de Havilland films too and your reference to "I shall never do another" made me LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of my favorites of Olivia's as well. I've seen Rebecca on TV plenty of times lately, would love to see The Heiress instead.

      Delete
    2. TCM (Turner Classic Movies) runs The Heiress a few times a year, along with plenty of other Olivia de Havilland movies. Olivia's sister (and bitter rival), Joan Fontaine, starred in Rebecca, though I think her performance in Suspicion (with Cary Grant) was better.

      Delete
    3. That's the channel I used to get. It went away more than ten years ago. Now that we're talking about the Heiress, I wouldn't be at all surprised that the Universe is listening and I'll catch it on TV. I last week caught Lana Turner "The Postman Always Rings Twice". I misnamed the movie I was thinking of, not Rebecca, meant "My Cousin Rachel". I preferred Olivia over Joan, could never really get into Joan's movies except for "Letters from An Unknown Woman". Cried buckets and, if saw it now, would cry buckets again.

      Delete

  2. shirley, it was worth all those hours and frustrations. It is unspeakably gorgeous! You must feel so proud. I hope you are enjoying it. Best, Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hanging front and center so I get to constantly enjoy it, marvel that I actually did that.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Yes you did! As a person who has started many projects that never got completed, I applaud you for completing something that is so very beautiful!!!

      Delete
    3. Karen, as a Capricorn, it's in my nature to finish what I start, even when I want to throw in the towel, and there were plenty times I figured that canvas was never going to get done, wanted to quit, but my stubborn push through nature wouldn't let me.

      Delete
  3. You have the right to be proud of your masterpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I get excited when I see those cars too. They are so ugly.
    You did a great job! It came out so nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's even more exciting when I can see whose driving, so I can see if they match the vehicle, LOL.

      Delete
  5. That is a gorgeous piece you've created; love it and I, too, would hang it where I see it all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I'm gone, the family is going to fight over this one. Too bad I can't take it with me.

      Delete
  6. I have had the same problem with the apartment number being dropped. I always put it on the street address line and sometimes on the apartment number line. I have had it show an address correction box with the apartment number on a second line a couple of times. I figure if they go to the trouble to have this correction box then it will probably be mailed correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They had a separate box for apartment but, since that didn't work the first time, that's a good idea that you mentioned ... put it in the address line AND on apartment line.

      Delete
  7. Yowza, that is one beautiful and epic cross-stitch work of art! Congrats on finishing it and framing it for all to see. Whatever will you do with all your spare time now, LOL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny you should ask. I was just thinking today that I seem to have so much to do, no down time, no spare time. I'm thinking it's a part of the aging process where time seems to move so fast that I'm beginning to feel a bit overwhelmed about having so much to do and not able to fit it all in.

      Delete
  8. Your cross-stitch is amazing. Congrats on the completion. A work of labor and love.
    Oh, 'those' cars. A bowel movement on wheels. Every time I see one the middle finger goes up...sometimes they get two of them! I do it discreetly...don't want to get shot!
    I love The Heiress. One of Olivia's best. I own it on DVD. I need to bring it out and enjoy it all over again.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky you, to have it on DVD. I used to have a channel called Turner TV, that showed all those old movies, but now it's just an occasional showing of the classics, and that one not for a while. Montgomery Cliff was a piece of work in that movie.

      Delete
  9. Really stunning and beautiful artwork. Tons of patience to do that work. I have a gecko green Nazi car in my neighborhood. Wish I could get close enough to scare it with a loud honk. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
  10. It must be so satisfying to see your beautiful work FINALLY finished and framed. I’m thankful to never see those Nazi tanks here in Córdoba, although a taxi company bought some Teslas for their fleet and I hate when one of them shows up for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Framing it by myself and getting it up on the wall without killing myself is almost as satisfying as finishing the piece. That's too funny about being taxied around in a nazi car, but at least the design of the cars don't make them as recognizable, at least to me, as the tanks.

      Delete
  11. The frame makes the painting 'POP'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of color or edge size when ordering a frame, I just focused on getting the correct size. Seems it worked out perfectly because what I got does indeed make it pop 🙂

      Delete
  12. You certainly did a magnificent job on the piece! Your daughter will be SO surprised and thrilled. Good idea to have it out now , front and center, so you can revel in it! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jan. I'm beyond happy to have finished the piece because, for a while there, I thought I never would get to the end.

      Delete
    2. I do remember times when you seemed to waver!!

      Delete
  13. Well, that Art piece, tho' quite the Labor of Love, is Magnificent Shirley!!! The big pieces I never could finish, so Kudos that you stuck with it my Friend. I do not like those Swasticars at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I used up all my patience on that piece, will never undertake a big project again.

      Delete