Sunday, July 12, 2020

Cash for Coins

After avoiding the heat by staying indoors Friday and Saturday, I had to venture out into it this morning, because the battery was too low for a reading on my little blood pressure monitor.
At the drugstore, the clerk asked if I had 4 cents, so she’d not have to give me 96 cents back from a bill, because they were short on change.
I would have liked to have helped them out but, unfortunately, my reply was “I don’t carry coins. All my coins are in jars at home”.
That’s when, what looked to be her supervisor, walked over and said, “If you want to get rid of those coins, we’ll buy them back from you”.
SAY WHAT!?


Didn’t sound like much of a buyback for, as she went on to say, “If you sell us $40 in change, we’ll give you back $41. However, it’s a much better offer than when I was last at the bank.


The bank offered no incentive whatsoever. In fact, the bank seemed to make the exchange too much trouble by requiring coins bundled in those little coin wrappers.
At any rate, I’ll hang onto the bulk of my plentiful coins just in case there’s a bidding war. LOL.
In the meantime, I’m going to go old school ─ start carrying a coin purse once again. Instead of tossing coins in jars, I’ll toss into the coin purse and help the stores out with exact purchase price, so they don’t have to depart with what little change they have.
IF the cashiers see my coin purse and asks if I want to exchange for cash, I’ll say “Make me an offer”.
Back at the complex, I saw I had a delivery at the door.
Thinking it was a pre-ordered book I’d been waiting for (not any of the new books about No. 45), I took it inside. Upon opening, I saw a shower curtain.
WHAT? I didn’t order this.
Checking the label, I saw it had been left at the wrong door ─ should have been delivered to the same address as mine, but in the F Building on the other side of the complex.
I wrote a note of apology ─ for having opened it ... because I thought it was mine, on the package, and back out into the heat I go to deliver to the correct door.
No one was home, so I left it at the door hoping the recipient isn’t a nut and my good deed doesn't end up biting me in the butt, because you just never know.
I once opened a file cabinet at the law firm and there, on the bottom was a credit card. I uttered out loud to my coworker, “There’s a credit card in here”.
When I read the name on it, she knew that as a temp who’d sat in that area, was still working jobs in the firm and said she’d give her a call to come pick it up.
When the girl came to pick it up, she gave me a look that would kill. She never said a word, but the way she looked at her credit card, then looked up at me, walked away, looked back at me, spoke volumes.
I told my coworker, “She thinks I stole it”.
Made no sense, but there you have it ─ ignorant people or people with mental issues that just don’t see things logically.
If I knew then, what I know now, upon finding that credit card, I’d have never said a word. Instead, I’d have run it through the shredder and gone about my business because that episode tainted me. It's still in me to do the right thing, but I try to be anonymous and always there's that worry it will somehow come back to bite me in the butt.
There was a thing on the news a couple years back, when a good guy found a cell phone and managed to contact the owner. The owner showed up to retrieve, accused the good guy of having stolen the phone and shot him dead.
I didn’t add my name to the apology for opening on the package, but the resident will know it was me because they had one of those little home spy cams set up in the window by the door.
Very creepy that. I just hope they’re okay people.
(Thanks Jan F. I’ve seen that one, and she’s still full of it.)

8 comments:

  1. There are a few banks here that have coin machines. You take your container full of coins, dump it in the machine, the machine counts it, and then you get $.90 on the dollar. That's right, you lose $.10 for every dollar you put in. I've never participated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I generally just toss coins in jars and there they sit for years. But, when I moved here, the movers wouldn't handle money, so I had to take them to the coin machine. Ended up with $3,000, which paid for my movers and a nice tip. I won't be emptying my current coin jars unless and until I have to, but won't be adding to. Using coin purse instead.

      Delete
  2. I'd like to know how it is that we are having a coin shortage. What happened between last week/last month/last year that took coins out of circulation. I did hear from one of my neighbors that her bank wouldn't give her any quarters and she only had two to do her wash so she went and bought new towels. I think I'll be washing my clothes in the bathtub if I run out since I can't go to either child's house for a free wash - I haven't stayed in this house for months only to die over dirty clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I haven't stayed in this house for months only to die over dirty clothes" LOL, but that made me think I'd better hang onto my quarters as I need them for the laundry room and the coin car wash. Hopefully I don't run out before quarters are back in circulation.

      Delete
  3. Makes one Wonder just why there's this sudden alleged Coin and Small Bill Shortage, doesn't it? Had there been a Run on it like T.P.? But getting a Buck for exchanging Forty Bucks of it is a decent return and a good margin. *LOL* As for being Honest, we once found a Wallet on a Windy Day on the Onramp of the Freeway with Money blowing across the Freeway from it. We pulled over, retrieved the Wallet and what was left of it's contents, which was still a lot of Money, some Checks and some Old Man's I.D. and flagged down a Cop to tell him where we found it and that Money was blowing all over that On Ramp and could cause an Accident if people jumped out to get it! We were hesitant to give our Names just in case the Owner was a Nut Job and expressed those sentiments to the Officer, we didn't want him divulging our Contact Info just in case... but he did, and Thankfully the Old Man Thanked us profusely since his whole Social Security income for the Month had been in it, he accidentally left it on top of his Vehicle when he bought Gas near the Freeway... he said most of his Money was intact and we told him we were so sorry that at least some of it had blown away before we saw the Wallet laying there. But I always do wonder, had he been suspicious or Crazy, it could have played out badly for us... you always wanna do the Right thing and be Honest, but people nowadays are litigious and often don't Believe being a Good Samaritan is possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking the shortage is due to people like me. People who opt to throw coins in jars, taking them out of circulation. And interesting that you also were leery about doing your good deed anonymously just in case of running into a nut job. Though it turned out well, I'd have been pissed if the cop had given my info despite my request not to as could have ended differently.

      Delete
  4. Good grief, Shirley- $3,000 in coins is amazing, even $30 would have surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was probably a lot more, but those coin machines take a huge percentage for using the equipment.

      Delete