Saturday, November 16, 2019

Just When You Thought It Was Safe

The wind kicked up again today and, shortly thereafter, here comes a warning from the utility company of a possible power outage tomorrow, Sunday.
Because of the previous threats of possible outages, after using up all the items in the freezer, so as to not lose product if an outage did occur, I’d been putting off replenishing the fridge.
Wouldn’t you know, the Santa Anas having passed, the utility company given us the all clear, just when I thought it was safe and had loaded up the fridge yesterday, here we go again.
Hopefully not, because going out of town Wednesday, I’ve got daily do’s.
It’s not like my carefree younger days, when all there was to a road trip was a moment’s notice, a toothbrush and off I’d go.
I’d eat in restaurants, in hotels and, if I needed a change of clothes, I’d go shopping.
Now it’s do laundry before I go, clean the unit so I don’t come back to an untidy place, wash my hair, pack make-up, lotions, day clothes, night clothes, athletic shoes, sandals, cook and package breakfast, lunch, dinner, snack meals I know I can reheat in a hotel room so as to not get sick.
Going anywhere these days is so much work that it’s sometimes easier to stay home. Consequently, I have declined a friend’s 50th Wedding Anniversary Party this year, two events at my friend Q’s home and numerous out of the area 5Ks.
No to mention how an outage is going to impact those who've stocked their fridges with plans to cook for the holiday, so fingers crossed we’ll get lucky again.
There are no holidays at the Pain Cave. Trainer has so many clients that he’s working night, day, holidays — but I guess that’s what one has to do when one is self-employed, and he seems happy and grateful that his business is doing so well.
I’ve not yet told him I will be out-of-town Thursday, thus missing that session. I’ll tell him at the conclusion of Tuesday’s session because, if I tell him sooner, there’s a good chance he’ll push me harder in Monday's and Tuesday’s sessions to make up for the missed day, and I don’t want to be worn out when I’ve got the Turkey Trot to do on Thursday.
Trainer and I have forged a close bond. He’s demonstrated that I’m one of his favorite clients, even telling me recently that “should anything happen, I’d come there (indicating the senior complex) to train you”.
And I know he’s proud of my progress and that he uses me to shame his younger clients when they complain how hard it all is.
Inasmuch as, after Tuesday’s workout, he won’t see me again until the Monday after Thanksgiving, I thought to give him a Happy Thanksgiving card.
THEN, I thought to make that card a Starbucks Coffee Gift Card, because he too is a Starbucks devotee.
THEN today, when I stopped by Starbucks for the gift card, I thought to put the card in a coffee cup and found a cute image to print out and affix to the top of the cup.



Cute idea, is it not?
The seniors are celebrating Thanksgiving Tuesday.
I’m tempted to stop in, after that day’s work out, just to see if Quiet Old Guy (QOG) is in attendance or if he’s still hiding out from the women, but the event is 11:00 to 1:00, I won't return until around 12:30 and might not feel like bothering with the tail end of it.
I ran into QOG the other day, as he was walking to his car, and he seemed fine. But I no longer see him heading to the Community Room daily to meet up with Church Lady. He’s uncharacteristically staying indoors, blinds and windows closed.
Church Lady blew that one.
I’ve no doubt the Seer and Shadow will be in attendance. The both of them have slowly been coming out of seclusion, seen here/there on the complex.
There’s a good chance Handsome Guy will be in attendance, as he seems to have a lot of time on his hands lately, palling around with Big Friendly Guy.
I doubt I’ll have time to hang with the seniors until some time in December for the annual Cookie Decorating event. Hopefully, it will be scheduled around my time in the pain cave. If not, I’m going to have to change my training schedule for that day, because cookie decorating is such a fun activity.

3 comments:

  1. Trainer will be thrilled with your thoughtful and clever Thanksgiving gift! I am impressed that you got the printed image to fit so well onto the lid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Magic! Lol, but no not really. What I did was to resized the image to fit and cut it out with a circle cutter from my scrapbooking supplies.

      Delete
  2. You are so amazingly busy. Yes, pack it all up and go. We only live once.

    ReplyDelete