Sunday, November 3, 2019

Framed It

Walking to the mail box Saturday afternoon, I thought I still smelled smoke from the Hillside fire. However, I saw later on the news that there was yet another fire on Little Mountain earlier that day.
Fortunately, it was a small brush fire, quickly extinguished, near homes but with none lost.
The Archeologist came close to losing hers.
Video she’d posted from her security system, showed flames fast approaching from across the street.
Video she posted from the camera in her car, showed flames on either side of the car as she fled 2 a.m. with the kids and their two cats.
It was a pretty terrifying thing to see from the vantage point of the person experiencing it, and worse for her and the kids to experience, but she came out with no fire damage ─ just smoke and, except for one house across the street with fire damage, her immediate neighborhood is intact.
And would you believe, some test tube baby was setting off fireworks that whistled around 10 o’clock last night. It wasn’t the noise that irritated, it was the fear of his/her touching off another blaze.
Looking at how well-connected the Archeologist is ─ cameras recording what’s going on outside her home, a GoPro (or something like that) recording from the car, brought home how technology has passed me by.
I often see things, as I’m driving, I’d have loved to have captured a photo or video of, but wouldn’t know the first thing of how to install recording equipment, or how to extract what’s recorded from it. Then there’s all the various social media sites ─ Reddit, some new TikTok thing and others that I can’t figure out.
I do have a Twitter account, but can’t for the life of me figure out how to tweet or respond to a tweet. Not to mention all the fancy doodads on my own laptop that I don’t have the patience or mindset to learn how to use.
It’s just all too much insofar as technology.
I do, however, have the patience to stab something with a needle for 13 months, 3200 hours.
For instance, this needlepoint for Twin 1 ─ all finished, framed and ready to present when next I see her on Thanksgiving Day.


While simultaneously finishing that piece, I also began working on one for Twin 2. Thus far, I’ve made pretty good progress on, what looks to be,  a massive 35 month project, having stabbed it with a needle for only 240 hours.

Pattern

Progress: October

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. She has no idea how lucky. LOL. But she'll truly appreciate it when I'm gone.

      Delete
  2. I hope Twin 1 appreciates the labor of Love that Art piece is... Lovely! Good to hear the Fire didn't destroy homes of those you know, it would be terrifying, it was terrifying to even watch on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's magnificent, Shirley. Did you have it framed professionally? It reminds me of the African camera safari we took in Kenya ages ago where we saw many Masai.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m leery of having professionally framed. I once took a piece in for that, wrapped in clear protective covering. Framer guy had dirty fingers from whatever he was working on before I got there and, before I realized what he was doing, he’d pulled covering away and was touching the project. I about had a heart attack, yelled DON’T TOUCH IT!, and figured out how to frame my own darn self. Fortunately, whatever he had on his fingers didn’t rub off but, not wanting to take the chance of some framer guy, any framer guy messing up, I do it myself. It’s not perfect, not professional, but it’ll do.

      Delete
    2. Well, you did a wonderful job! Can't wait to hear what she says when you give it to her.

      Delete
  4. By framing it yourself you'll at least save a few bucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those needlepoint pieces are flat out marvelous. Duck came to me with three 3x8 foot canvasses, and he asked me to draw patterns on each: sunflowers, a welcome pole, and some tall purple flowers. It took him almost 2 years to finish each. Doing this enabled him to stop smoking.

    ReplyDelete