Monday, February 25, 2019

No Host Oscars

Because of all the speeches, I stopped watching The Oscars years ago. However, wanting to see how it went with no host, I gave it a go. No host went well, but could not get through the speeches.
I saw who presented, who won, watched them head for the stage and, as the speech began, I flipped the channel and caught up on what Worse Cooks in America was up to and whatever else was on at the time until tuning back into the Oscars hoping the speech was over. Most times my timing was right on.
I’ve not seen any of the movies, except for Black Panther, but have heard so much about each film that I’d formed opinions. 
From all the hype, I was surprised Roma didn’t do better.
Again, based on all the hype, Green Book’s win and Glenn Close’s loss were a complete surprise.
I’m still in awe at how Christian Bale was unrecognizable as that bulbous beast of a man in Vice, and yet appear so slim and attractive in the audience.
I read somewhere that in addition to makeup, he’d also gained weight. I’d like to know how much weight he gained and how he dropped that excess.
I was happy Black Panther did well. However, at the risk of inflaming the community and losing my Black Card, I would have been surprised if it had won Best Picture because, though I was proud of the movie, I didn’t think it was that good.
I was expecting Panther to be a lot of his suiting up and righting wrongs, like Bat Man. Instead, it was all about protecting the kingdom from Killamonga and not near enough of the suit.
Much as I like superheroes, Panther is not a movie I’d watch again, unlike the multitude of times I’d watched and rewatched the other superhero movies.
Speaking of superheroes ... what a sweetie Chris Evans is.


A facebook friend and I went back and forth over Billy Porter in a tuxedo dress designed by Project Runway’s Christian Siriano. I thought it was all that, but friend said she wasn’t a fan because the velvet looked too bottom heavy.
I’m sure it was and Billy probably had to build some leg muscles to carry it off, but looking fabulous is hard work.


Tomorrow is the Sweetheart Potluck. Tomorrow is also Pizza Tuesday.
The two events lumped together like that, especially since Valentine’s Day was days ago, seems so not worth it. However, inasmuch as the potluck is the only event we’ve had in a good long while, I imagine it will be well attended.
But for the fact I'd signed up to bring potato salad, I'd skip it. Not wanting to let anyone down, I picked up a tub at the deli while out and about yesterday. Of course, I won't be eating any, what with the ingredients being soybean oil, red bell pepper, and modified corn starch. Not just because they're on my no-no list but because I’m just now recovering from a gut episode caused by that Ben and Jerry Cherry Garcia ice cream I’d stored after the Idiot in Chief declared a national emergency.
I’d been doing so well, with no tummy upsets in such a long time, and I didn't see any ingredients I was aware of being on the no-no list, so I thought I could have that indulgence.
Wrong!
Not only did the ice cream torture me for five days with nausea and tummy upset  (it may have been the cherries), but it started up the sugar cravings.
An apple won’t do right now, so feeling sorry for myself, and to satisfy that sweet tooth, I stopped by a place for an indulgence I’ve tested and found cause no gut issues.


3 comments:

  1. Let me give you my address so the next time you stop at See's.....

    The Oscars sucked if you asked me. I love that Regina won and I loved her great acceptance speech. Class act all the way! And I really enjoyed Gaga and Cooper singing Shallow. That's about it. I too liked Billy Porters dress tuxedo. I'd have worn that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...but could not get through the speeches."
    I'm right with you on that one.

    Also I don't watch 'The State of the Union' because I can't stand all the clapping and clapping and clapping and ARGGGGH.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for See's candy! Interesting, I didn't know Christian Bale did that weight change, I would never be able to get the weight back off.

    ReplyDelete