Thursday, January 11, 2018

Second Wind

I’d been hoping for but not really thinking I’d get it -- a second wind, so I could get back to a daily walking routine and participating in 5Ks.
After a foot injury put me out of commission for a few months, I’d put together that Schwinn and turned to virtual biking events. Once the foot healed, I was feeling slow and sluggish and not able to keep up, so I turned to Virtual 5Ks until my strength, energy and balance began to fail me, from probably that ear infection I didn't know I had.
At any rate, I’ve actually not participated in activity of any kind since November, just sat on the couch watching TV and needlepointing.
Of course, I did notice, while on hiatus, that my back and hips began to hurt from all day sitting.
I remembered reading somewhere about inactivity leading to joints stiffening, locking actually, which is probably why so many here depend on canes and walkers.
I felt that beginning to happen to me, but still couldn’t get off the couch until that second wind hit me this past Sunday, when I found myself putting in a mile on the indoor bike. The following day, I put in a mile and a half. This morning I woke up, felt like my old self, put in 3 miles on the bike, then headed out and completed 1.5 miles around the neighborhood.
I’m back!!
This year, instead of being medal motivated, I’m just going to walk and bike to stay active.
That’s not to say that, if I see a medal I absolutely must add to my collection, I won’t register for the virtual. But the plan is to get back to fun outdoor events – hundreds of participants, no pressure races. And right now, that looks to be the Great Donut Run, which I participated in last year as a virtual.
I’m not planning to cosplay this event, but if I just happen to run into donut fabric, I might make a pair of leggings.

6 comments:

  1. My new doctor would be pleased with you. She told me this afternoon I need more exercise. I know I do, but I'm not one to get out in the cold weather, and I only do my neck, balance, and sciatica exercises in the house. It was so easy to walk in San Francisco, but here in Fresno, there is no where to walk to, and pedestrians are looked upon as criminals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That’s pretty ridiculous that pedestrians are treated like criminals. Reminds me of before I moved into this complex, a church friend of my daughter lived at the multi-family place next door. He was in the habit of taking “prayer walks” in the neighborhood. Cops stopped him one day, asked where he lived, what he was doing. He pointed to his building, said he was walking and praying. They told him “It doesn’t look right” and made him return to his building. Probably if he’d had headphones on it would have looked “right” to those unillumined cops, but just walking, praying, listening and talking to God didn’t fit their idea of "right".

      Delete
  2. Best thing I ever did was invest in a large yoga ball. I can sit on it while reading, watching tv or sitting at the table. I bounce, rotate my hips, sway back and forth or forward and back. Low impact but keeps joints moving. They're great too for rocking grandbabies without straining your back!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never thought of a yoga ball, but your and Shirley's recommendation make me think I should look into one.

      Delete
    2. You won't regret it. I've had mine for years and, even when I'm not exercising, use it as a stool to sit on when I'm performing low duties, instead of sitting on floor or stooping. Can also use as a weight for arm exercises, like both hands on, hold straight out in front of you or over head.

      Delete
  3. Aren't they great! I do the same with mine. Plus, you can lay back and do sit ups. Also, great for push ups.

    ReplyDelete