Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Roll Call

Today is Pizza Tuesday here at the complex. Missing from the herd will be the old guy that would open a box, touch the pizza, close the box, put it back in rotation on the table, then choose a different pizza. 
Of course, those handled pizzas were immediately taken out of rotation and tossed in the trash, the old guy was told not to open the box and touch, but he was stubborn, didn’t like women telling him what he could and could not do, and further didn’t seem to care that others were offended at his contaminating food until Activity Director put her foot down and one day literally shoved the pizza he’d touched back at him and made him take it.
After that, he’d still try to open and touch, but everyone in the room kept an eye on him, and saw to it that he was made to take what he handled.
At any rate, he passed away of a brain aneurysm between Christmas and New Year’s.
Also passing away during that same time period, (in addition to the lady I’d previously blogged about – who was fine one day, celebrating her 95th Birthday, then, in rapid succession, was first in the hospital, then placed in convalescent home where she very quickly passed away), was the wheel-chaired gentleman whose daughter had put her life on hold and moved in to care for him.
In failing health and bed-ridden for the last year or so, he succumbed to a heart attack. The daughter is in the process of moving out, as she is too young to remain a resident.
On New Year’s Day, the companion of 30 years to one of our Community Room regulars became ill and, against his wishes, was taken to hospital. He’s hanging on, but word is liver damage due to alcoholism.
The downside of living in a senior community is we see a lot of death. Oddly enough, most occur during the holiday season and average about three/four around this time every single year. But, at any age, tomorrow is not promised.
The mystery of how The Seer knew this is my birthday month was solved when I noticed the names of all residents born in January was listed on this month’s Activity Calendar.
I’d forgotten the office does that, hadn’t really been paying attention to the listing, until my name jumped out at me. I do remember blogging, when management first began publishing names, that the then new practice was going to create a problem for those of us who do not wish to be recognized.
And so it looks like it is, creating problems that is.
Oh well.
Also worth mentioning -- the garlic oil appears to have cured that ear infection. It took the same length of time the doctor said the medication she gave me would take, around 7 days, and the garlic oil cured without the horrible side effects that would have come with the medication prescribed.
Now if I could just find a permanent holistic cure for my esophagus/gut issues.

4 comments:

  1. The Pizza Guy for some reason cracks me up. Why did he do that? I am not certain I could live in a senior facility although I know it may come to that. I don't like being around all these people. Does it make you nuts or save your sanity? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People fascinate me. I enjoy watching them, figuring them out and the way this complex is arranged in individual apartment homes gives me separation so that I'm detached from them, can interact if and when I choose, and thereby not let their individual quirks have an impact on me. As for the pizza guy's why, we have no idea, especially since the pizzas come frozen, all are hard, so touching gave him no information whatsoever. He was just an old school kinda guy from another country, so maybe something accepted where he came from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pizzas are FROZEN? That's the first I had read that. I figured they were baked at the pizza parlor and brought out nice and warm. So, you have to bake them yourself?

      Delete
    2. Evidently, pizza parlor prepares pizzas in advance, not always to order. What is not sold is donated, and it's a lot; but refrigerated until pick-up day (Tuesday). Don't have to bake, just warm up in microwave.

      Delete