Thursday, May 28, 2026

Room With a View

Last few days have been quiet — no weird dreams, no disturbing text messages, no contact with neighbors.

With the blinds being stuck to where I couldn’t open them up to let sunlight in, I hadn't even able to indulge in sitting on the couch, spotting neighbors on the walkway.

That changed on Wednesday, when Assistant Maintenance Guy finally showed up with a new track for the blinds to slide on.

Now I’m back to having a room with a view, and actually spotted the new Next-Door Neighbor arriving today, not with furniture yet, just to spend about 20 minutes inside …… checking out the place, I guess.

It’s an elderly female; so quiet, safe.

From the quick glimpse I saw of her, she’s nowhere near as old as I …… maybe late 60’s, and she looks stern, severe, boring, like Mother Superior at the Nunnery, white hair and all.

Won’t be any tea coming from or about her, and she’s probably even less into decorating for Halloween than former Next-Door Neighbor.

Though quiet, the last few days haven’t been exactly idle, as I’ve been a whirling dervish scrapbooking fool, getting the latest batch of photos into the Great Grands Creative Memory Book No. 12.

I'd been creatively stuck in neutral for a bit then, last few days, layouts began whirling through my head at rapid pace — pages and pages and pages were completed; layouts for other pages were documented so I’d not forget the ideas that had come to mind while I wait for supplies to come in.

At last Friday’s BBQ, a few of the residents asked for a print of the photo I’d taken of them at the photo booth. I’d sent those photos for processing to my usual 1-hour photo Lab and was surprised to get a ready in three days’ notice.

Maybe the photo lab was closed for the Memorial Day Holiday weekend, thought I, and patiently waited.

Three days later, on Wednesday, I get notified the order had been cancelled …… no reason.

Unusual, but giving the Lab benefit of the doubt, I thought perhaps they’d been so backlogged over the Holiday that cancelling orders had been necessary.

I resubmitted the order, only to receive another three-days to process notice.

WTF? People are waiting for their pics. It wasn't a huge order, just a handful of photos; and there was nothing naughty in the photos that would warrant cancellation, but whatever. That Lab is a favorite, but not the only in the area.

I submitted the order to a Lab at a drug store over by the college, and they were ready in 1-hour.

I picked the order up same day/yesterday, but didn’t get around to opening until this morning and found not only my photos, but people I didn’t recognize on an outing to San Diego Zoo.

Knowing how valuable my photos are to me, assuming this other family's photos to be just as important, I pondered the best way to ensure they got their pics.

For sure, I didn't trust returning to the Lab, putting the onus on them.

Fortunately, along with that family’s photos was the order sheet including the name, telephone number of the person ordering.

I ran the name through Facebook, but nothing came up.

I then thought calling the telephone number listed would be the most effective way of ensuring the family got their photos, but that calling the person could go very wrong for me because "no good deed goes unpunished".

I took a chance, called anyway, and she answered.

I gotta tell you, had that been me, I would not have accepted a call from a number I didn't recognize, but she answered.

I introduced myself, said "You don’t know me, but I yesterday picked up photos from the Photo Lab, and found your San Diego Zoo pics mixed in".

Fortunately, she didn’t think I was scamming or crank calling. Instead, she laughed, wondered how the Lab could make such an error.

Turns out she lives very close by, immediately jumped in the car, drove over to pick the photos up, saying they were important because were photos of her son, nephew, grandbabies.

She seemed a fun lady …… talkative. Said she wasn't too surprised about the mix-up, because she had questions about the woman she'd dealt with at the Lab when placing the order. Said the woman didn't seem very bright, LOL.

I didn't say so, but I was thinking I must have dealt with that same person when I picked up my order, because she kept asking my name, couldn't find the order until I pulled up the confirmation on my phone to show her the number and she realized she'd been looking through packages, not photos.

Interesting how the whole thing played out … how my regular Lab let me down, I had to switch Labs, and the mix-up got me involved in what followed.

20 comments:

  1. I cannot remember the last time I printed out a photo. I really should do that but now I am so behind I don't know how I would get them all printed out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What's the plan for the photos? How to start depends on that plan.

      Delete
    2. They all live on Dropbox for now. I take so many I need to go through and pick out the best ones and upload them to Shutterfly. Then they will most likely go into a shoe box for posterity! LOL

      Delete
    3. Downloading the best ones, sending to photo lab is a start.

      Delete
  2. A nice resolution to those misdirected photos. If you describe your new neighbor in her late 60 as elderly, how do you describe yourself? Just wondering. Although I know your age I would never describe you as elderly. Hmmm. I shipped an envelope overnight to San Antonio Texas on May 21. It still hasn’t been delivered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've often thought about how I refer to neighbors as "elderly" and "old people" while I openly admit to being older than most, but not in that same category. As for how I describe myself, I can't say I've ever been asked that before and can't seem to come up with an answer because I've honestly never thought of myself as anything other than "me" and "sexy". Your envelope might have gone through Alaska, where I hear the overnights are looooong, LOL.

      Delete
    2. You are definitely you and sexy. Perfect description.

      Delete
  3. I might have just dropped the pics back at the lab so, yes, once again, you are nicer than me.
    Not at all surprising.
    I am looking forward to any tea on White Haired Neighbor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At the price of gas, even a short drive back to the Lab would have been costly. "White Haired Neighbor" might end up being her blog name, LOL.

      Delete
  4. I am so glad you made personal contact to get the pictures to the right owner. That was kind of you and it sounds like she appreciated you very much. Also, with all the gunky news out there right now, thank YOU for sharing a piece of good news. You brightened my day. Also, being a former yearbook advisor, I am so glad you are still printing photos and making books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you about "gunky news". I try not to read it, depress myself, and I try not to write it, depress others.

      Delete
  5. Glad you went to the effort to reunite the photos. Thank you.
    Now, what is the new neighbor's moniker going to be?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to wait until she moves in, see her up close and personal before deciding on a name. However, if she's as cold as I read on that glimpse, I'm thinking Mother Superior. If she's okay, cool, I'll probably go with Bob's "White Haired Neighbor".

      Delete
  6. Nice that you got the wayward pics to the owner. Sounds like if you took them to the lab, the goofy clerk may not have ever gotten them to the correct person. Elderling emcompasses many ages, some old, some behaving younger, some playing in hobbitLand, and then there's YOU. Causing good trouble! (See if the new Mother Superior neighbor goes to church on Sunday. If not, she might be rowdy on the inside.) Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was for sure the Lab wouldn't care. Besides, my returning meant she got them for free, no charge by the Lab, lol. That going to church on Sunday might be a good barometer as to what to expect. I'll keep an eye out for that.

      Delete
  7. Your photo mix up turned out to be truly serendipitous! That lady is probably telling her family and friends about your kindness and that's good Karma. Hope your new neighbour turns out to be nice and not a stick-in-the-mud.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll bet she is telling family and friends of the mix-up. Looks like new neighbor has landed today. She moved in groceries and items she could carry, but no bed or couch yet. I'll meet and greet when it happens, not going out of my way to make it happen.

      Delete
  8. So, are we gonna Nickname the newbie as "Nun Neighbor... or Mother Superior"? *Winks* You never know by appearances tho', she might be positively scandalous, I could Dream Up all kinds of possibilities, she could be in the Witness Protection Program and was a Mob Boss' Old Lady or running the Syndicate herself? *LOL* Glad your View was Restored tho', so we can continue enjoying Spilled Tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. After up close analysis, she seems cool, not as stern as I originally thought. So, it's gonna be White Haired Neighbor 😊

      Delete