Thursday, September 3, 2020

Week in Review

Week started off we seeing both my girls on television.
Twin 1’s Skid Row activities was part of Sunday's episode of CNN’s United Shades of America.


Twin 2 had multiple shots in the opening graphics.



It was a fair, balanced, focused interview in that it was all about what’s happening on Skid Row, very little about Twin 1’s backstory. Which didn’t allow her to give her enabling hypocritic of a grandmother (my mom) undeserved credit for who she (Twin 1) has become, and also did not allow for Twin 1 to undeservedly badmouth me.
On Tuesday, I finally leveled up.


Leveling up is a slow painstaking process. I had to catch and evolve a lot of pokémon to gain the 750,000 points to level up from 32 to 33. Inasmuch as the move from 33 to 34 requires 1,000,000 points, I won’t be moving up for a while ─ a looooooong while. But I have learned to battle, and battle well. No extra points for that, just the satisfaction of winning and occasionally gaining a new pokémon.
I forget which day of the week it was, but there was yet another officers involved murder, another new protest ─ while the other protests are still ongoing.
It’s so tiresome.
This shooting was by the Los Angeles Sheriff’s department, filed under the category of Bike Riding While Black, which is a new one ─ added to the list of Shopping While Black, Driving While Black ─ both as driver and passenger, Jogging While Black, Walking While Black, Sitting on the Couch Eating Ice Cream in Your Own Apartment While Black, Sleeping in Your Own Bed While Black, while a snot-nosed kid walking around with an AR-15 is being branded a hero for “protecting his community” when he wasn’t even from that “community”.
It’s a lot to swallow.
And, by the way, there’s a video floating around showing this "hero" beating, sucker punching, “landing haymakers on a teen girl from behind”.
We lost two long-time residents this week. One to cancer, the other a complete mystery as the resident was in good health, so far as friends and relative knew. In fact, several residents had just spoken to her the day before. She was talking about plans to babysit her grandchildren the next day, but was found deceased in the bathroom the next morning.
She wasn’t that old, nowhere near my age, and had a beautiful singing voice.
Because her death was so unexpected, I understand an autopsy is to be performed. Maybe someone will let me know what the cause turns out to be.
Mary Sees has me on speed dial. Since having placed that online order, she texts and emails me every day ─ offering me deals on See’s candies.
Tuesday’s email included the good news the store is among those establishments allowed to reopen.


Nice, but, with this being a holiday weekend and my having seen folks loading up on supplies, at the market, that looked to be planning for big holiday events, I won’t be surprised if a Covid surge doesn’t reappear next week, causing doors to close once again ─ while I’m still waiting for the Pain Cave to reopen.
At any rate, doors open ─ walk right in, or online orders only, I don’t need the temptation of being texted and emailed every day, so I set Mary Sees to spam.
The mall has also been allowed to reopen, let people in, when I ─ planning to do that 5K last weekend at that location, didn’t know the mall was closed, wasn’t allowing folks in.
Thinking about it later, I wasn’t sure if the mall, because it was too hot to walk outside and I needed their A/C, was the right place to do a 5K because of spending that much time around people.
Still needing to qualify in the OC Fair Virtual 5K, and the forecast for the next few days to be hotter than heck, I’m still not sure, but I’ll drive over to the mall, scope it out AND, if it looks like too many people, I’ll table that 5K until the weather permits.
That's it. All checked in from my side of the world, over and out.

15 comments:

  1. Selfies with W. Kamau Bell made me Smile, I really like his United Shades of America Coverage, he brings attention to a lot of things that deserve the coverage. Princess T is deep into Pokemon Go again, it was such a big thing and then died down some, Pandemic has made a comeback of it and she's enjoying it more now than before I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What level is Princess T on? Does she want to send me her code and be friends?

      Delete
    2. She said she was on Level 15 and I'll have to get her code another time, she was too lazy to get into her App to retrieve it for me. *LOL*

      Delete
    3. LOL. Well, when she does get around to sending me the code I won't publish it. No extra points. Only thing she'll get are "gifts", i.e., game tools and a photo of California pokestops I got the gifts from. I'll get from her the same ... game tools and photos of pokestops in Arizona.

      Delete
  2. I looked up the bike shooting. News was hard to find on it. I hadn't heard of it at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Probably because the protests are peaceful, no looting, no burning, just "enough is enough". The NBA players refused to play in protest.

      Delete
  3. It must have been pretty amazing to see both your girls on television. Glad to know they have a good relationship between them.
    Congratulations on leveling up! It's been a couple of years since I noticed anyone around here searching for Pokemon, I think the interest must have dwindled. You are one of the super keen ones.
    Strange about that sudden death. It makes me think I should tidy the place up in case something like that happens. Probably a nice way to go but hard on the surviving loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same thought ... that it was a nice way to go. And, yes, hard on the family. I heard the screaming and loud wailings that went on for like forever that morning, learned someone had passed, but just recently learned it was the resident with the beautiful singing voice. I never got to know her well, but what few interactions we had were friendly, pleasant.

      Delete
  4. another 2 needless deaths of Black men (los angeles and rochester NY) pisses me off!

    nothing new on this coast; same old same old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd think that with all the protests the cops would stop with the needless killings, but noooooo. I guess they've gotten away with it for so many decades that it's hard to stop.

      Delete
  5. All the violence angers me. Black, white, or green, there is no place for the kind of violence these protests breed. Yes it is 90+ here at the coast and too hot to race.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I Hope all is well and you're not too badly impacted from the Fires raging? I've been concerned about my Brother since they were 7 miles from a major one raging. The Grandson is in Washington State and they have Fire raging too. We've also got Fires raging here in Arizona and the Smoke is blocking out the Mountains it's so thick and heavy in the air. Can 2020 continue to worsen in every possible way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far so good in my area, and I'm hoping it stays that way since firefighters are already stretched to the limit. We're getting ash from the fires and the sky looks murky but, knock on wood, nothing too close to the complex is ablaze. I'm a little depressed looking at all the devastation on the news, as if just the pandemic wasn't enough, and don't feel much like blogging. Especially since the new format is in place and, though I'm allowed to switch to Legacy, it's annoying that I have to go through the process every time I log in to read blogs. With all that's going on, you'd think whoever is in charge wouldn't push the envelope with even more change. In summary ... don't push me cause I'm close to the edge, I'm trying not to lose my head.

      Delete
  7. Did you ever find out about the mystery death? A heart attack comes to mind as the most usual. We had about 5 days of terrible smoke from the OR fires. A girlfriend with asthma could not go out at all. Luckily all is now clear but Autumnal weather has definitely arrived.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I've not yet run into The Baker of Apache, the two who would know. I can't believe the fire started by the gender reveal is still out of control. A firefighter died, some were injured and homes destroyed. I feel so sorry for the people who accidentally started it with the silly mistake of setting up, outside, in an area of dry brush. I can't imagine the guilt ... or the consequences they will face.

      Delete