Thursday, February 16, 2017

Energy Vampires

Sitting for close to three hours in the Community Room on Pizza Tuesday caught up with me that evening. Feeling a little tired, not able to keep my eyes open, I was in bed asleep by 8:30.

Slept straight through, but woke up yesterday morning completely devoid of energy.

My body felt like it weighed a ton.

Having difficulty lifting my feet off the ground, I literally dragged myself through the morning ritual -- moving slow, frequently holding onto walls, counters, whatever was available to keep myself upright. Even getting sufficient breathe into my lungs was a struggle.

Not a single solitary productive thing was accomplished the whole entire of yesterday. I spent the day on the couch, mostly lying flat on my back.

Back in October, I’d blogged about Dick Stuphen’s book entitled “Unseen Influences”. The reader’s digest version of the book is that there are people, places and things that have good and bad influences on our physical, mental, emotional well being. Stuphen refers to those people, places, and things as Energy Vampires.

Relating to people, it’s generally immature folks who, thinking the world revolves around them or owes them, suck the life out of those so unwise as to spend time around them.

That was me on Tuesday … unwise. Not realizing -- with a few exceptions, I was in the presence of energy suckers, I’d stayed too long in the greedy grabby unappreciative resentful atmosphere and it sapped the life out of me.

Fully awake at 2:35 this morning, other than beginning my day way too early, I’d completely recovered.

Maybe it was recognizing where the energy drain came from that enabled me to reset so quickly -- maybe it was resting all day yesterday, whatever the cure I’m back and ready for Round 2.

Will be interesting to see if the experience is more positive next week or yet another drainer.

3 comments:

  1. I understand. After only a few hours at the elementary school, dealing with small children, I return home drained and seldom accomplish anything after getting home. I noticed this the last few years that I taught high school and attributed it to my age. It was the reason I retired when I did. I no longer had the stamina to do what I had done for all those years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As drained as I am by seniors, I can't imagine dealing with small children ... and bless your heart, you're still doing it, and doing it well.

      Delete
    2. Oh, Shirley, you make me smile. Thank you.

      Delete