Monday, February 6, 2017

Running on Empty

No trouble falling asleep last night. In fact, managing to get through the day after finally falling asleep some time after 4:00, only to be fully awake at 7:00, the trouble last night was staying awake past 8:00 p.m. I finally set the dvr to record the old Columbo episode I was watching and was in bed fast asleep by 8:45.

Despite running on empty earlier in the day, I was extremely energetic. No idea where the energy came from but, after completing two of my daily B’s (breakfast and bath), I skipped the third B (biking) and headed to the University for Pokémon game tools.

The weather was good for walking, my foot didn't begin to hurt, so I decided to continue on and qualify in advance for the February 18th Valentine 5K.

About halfway through what felt like 3.12 miles, I raised my wrist to check mileage/minutes on the fitbit and there was no fitbit. I’d forgotten to put it on.

Dang it!

With no way to know exactly how many minutes it took to hit 3.12 miles, I had to think logically -- I finish in 1 hour 20 minutes when I’m just moseying along, so I walked 1 hour 30 minutes and will just have to report that as my finish time – unless I have the time, energy and another day when the foot doesn’t hurt, before the 18th, to do the miles all over again.

Returning to the complex, I ran into The Baker and The Seer. They invited me down to the Community Room for a Super Bowl party.

Football is not my thing but, having spent so little time with the folks lately, I went down for a bit to see the commercials and halftime.

Bored out of my mind, so clueless as to how football worked that -- after 30/40 minutes, I realized I didn’t even know what teams were playing, which team was winning, I announced “It’s taking too long to get to halftime” and headed back upstairs.

Back in my unit, I focused on the game just long enough to notice how handsome that Tom Brady guy is and eventually catch half time.

It was a little after then I began crashing and ended up in bed early.

Up at 4:00 this morning, with Las Vegas on my mind, I began researching condos for sale and found a fairly new community that seemed to sell quickly when condos came up for sale and had two available now – one that looked promising. I’m not planning on purchasing anything until end of year, and only if I’m told I’ll have to move but, in the interim, if something comes up that looks like an opportunity too right for me to pass up, I'd book a trip to Vegas, take a look, and jump on it rather than wait.

At least this was my thinking until I checked the crime stats for that community.




I’m sure Las Vegas is my destiny because that’s where I was originally heading before settling down here in the Inland Empire.

I had just quit the job that’s blessed me with the recent windfall, put my belongings in storage and was heading to find secretarial work and housing in Vegas. Daughter, living in the Inland Empire, said “Mom, you never visit me”. So I stopped over for a few days, liked the area, found a job right away and here I stayed – except for the year I retired and moved to Long Beach to save a relative from becoming homeless. It only took a year to become depressed, demoralized -- because no good deed goes unpunished and, with broken heart and broken bank account, returned to the Inland Empire to mend.

It took quite a long time to mend emotionally. Recovering financially has also been a real struggle … a situation this recent windfall is resolving, so I’m being careful to use it wisely.

Looking at the crime stats, the particular community I had in mind is out-of-the-question ... no wonder there’s so much buying and selling going on there.

Understanding however that no place is absolutely 100% crime free, I still see Vegas in my future … but, again, only if I must relocate. But, inasmuch as the rents in Vegas are a lot more reasonable than the Inland Empire and surrounding areas, now I’m thinking to continue to rent instead of buy, so I won’t have the responsibility of property care/maintenance and I’ll be free to pack up and go if an area becomes problematic.

If I were younger, tougher, more adventurous, less the girly girl, I’d get a camper trailer and live the life of a nomad.

At any rate, a plan now in place as to where I'll go, what I'll do, worrying ahead of time is done and it's back to normal day-to-day -- the three B's because it's raining.

2 comments:

  1. How about AZ? Not that far away, equally hot, and crime rate better..... (housing good there, too.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Worth checking into but, right now, Henderson Nevada is looking good.

      Delete