Wednesday, September 2, 2026

I Hope This is Personal

A bearable 86◦ this morning, I headed out to put in walking miles around the complex and saw this ……



I’m not wishing harm on anyone in hoping this is personal. I’m just hoping this doesn’t mean some kind of fresh hell for all of us that park in that area. Not some random someone walking around smashing out car windows, but rather some kind of personal animosity having to do with no one but the resident whose car was vandalized.

It did occur to me that perhaps the vandalism did not happen on our lot, but that the car’s owner was in the wrong place at the wrong time …… that this happened elsewhere. But noooooo, because there was glass on the ground, under and around the area of the window, indicating it happened here.

At any rate, fingers crossed this is a one-time thing for the vandalized car owner and for us.

Yesterday was also a bearable walking day at 89◦, but I opted to get marketing out of the way instead.

Listening to country/western station KFROG, as I drove to the branch of the market in the bad area/surrounded in bars like a prison that has the best produce because of the way the area is zoned, I burst out laughing when I heard radio host Kelli say, "It’s still hot, but Walmart is already selling Christmas decorations".

I’m still waiting for October 1/the First of Halloween but, at this rate, Valentine’s Day merchandise will be on sale before Halloween gets here.

This branch of the market I drove to is preferred, rather than the corner market, not only because produce seems fresher, but also because fun things seem to happen at the other branch. Like the young man telling me his friend said I was pretty, and the 62-year-old that called me chocolate ice cream and proposed marriage. This time it was a not bad looking slightly over middle-aged gentleman pushing his cart towards me, looking to pass on my left, head to produce as I was pushing my car out of that area. Just as he was about to pass, he said, "My God! You are so beautiful, so beautiful".

Believe you me, I was feeling nowhere near beautiful yesterday …… just so old, so tired, and so done that, though he was looking at me when he said it, I wasn’t all that sure he was actually talking about or to me. I even actually turned around as he passed to see if he was addressing someone behind me. There was no one else in the immediate area, so I can only assume the spontaneous utterance was addressed to me …… the Universe giving me the bump I needed to pull myself out of the blue funk I’ve been in off/on for months.

Still not totally convinced that I looked better than I felt, I took a selfie when I got back to the car …… the photo I’m now using as my profile pic.

My eyes …… free of eye makeup because I gave that up long ago, do not look well or happy.

Nevertheless, the bump seems to have worked …… temporarily motivated me up and out, because I pushed through this morning and logged in 1.01 miles, in 32:38 minutes at the snail slow pace of 32:15, 3,292 steps.

It’s a start. Hopefully, I can keep it up as the weather continues to cooperate by cooling down.

In other news, it’s been super quiet around here since last week’s End of Summer event. I’ve not seen nor spoken to any neighbors, so no news on the status of Hell on Wheels, Ankle Annie or the Feces Felon.

Bingo returns this Friday, after a month’s hiatus due to the organizers having to work around office hours and the Baker’s needing a break from whatever has been happening in bingo that upset her.

She had me do a sheet of Bingo Rules that includes the regular "Limit two wins until the ninth (blackout) game", adding "No arguments between players or you will be asked to leave".

That’s telling.

I wonder who was arguing, and what could they have been arguing about. It’s just bingo for God’s sake.

Also, "Keep the noise down so everyone can hear the numbers, please make sure you are listening".

That was especially aggravating when I used to attend bingo, and the main reason I stopped going. People could just not shut up, talked over the caller making it difficult to hear numbers being called AND, because they were talking instead of listening, would often interrupt the game asking "What were those last numbers you called" or "Did you call xyz?".

Lastly, "Lunch or snacks will be served after bingo for our bingo players".

I think this is because residents, not involved in bingo, would lurk around trying to time coming in just as refreshments were being served. You know, like the neighbor who just happens to stop by when dinner is being served.

I think it’s going to be hard to enforce this rule.

If I were the Baker, I’d order meal tickets that say, "Good for one meal", pass those tickets out to residents playing bingo AND, at the end of bingo, serve only those who present valid tickets.

In fact, I’m going to order said tickets, give to the Baker for bingo and other events where residents unceremoniously show up at dinner time.

22 comments:

  1. Do the bingo players chip in for the prizes and refreshments? If so, then event tickets would be a good solution. Otherwise, rule enforcement will be very hard if Baker or the "Bingo Committee" aren't willing to tell the moochers to get out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some chip in by bringing prizes ... cute items they see and think players would like when out and about. Others occasionally chip in a few dollars to cover cost of refreshments. I'm going to give her the meal tickets. It's up to her to use them or not but, once she starts teaching the moochers how to behave, by asking if they have a meal ticket, the moochers will fade away. If she doesn't, they won't.

      Delete
  2. Shirley, you are gorgeous! I am surprised more men aren't falling at your feet!
    Those bingo tickets sound like a good idea to get around the moochers.
    The broken car window. Grrrrr. Crossing my fingers and toes that it is a personal vendetta.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I am surprised more men aren't falling at your feet!" ROFLMAO! but thanks. Tickets ordered. Now let's see if she sticks to her guns and uses them. I'll have to ask around about that vandalized auto.

      Delete
  3. Great idea to have meal tickets!! Reminds me of the potluck lunches we’d have at my old workplace. There were a few guys who never brought anything, but would slide into line and chow down and go back for seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. My 'beholders' are nowhere to be found! Enjoy! Lucky you. I don't even get dirty looks....just ignored and I guess that ain't all that bad...considering. Oh, I guess I do get noticed when I'm not driving fast enough. I'll get the horn and the middle finger. See...I AM noticed!
    That's scary about the broken car window. Sounds like maybe a personal vendetta? Hope things cool off there. It's been hotter than hades in Ohio.
    So ready for cooler, fall temps.
    Paranormal John

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "My 'beholders' are nowhere to be found! " ... perhaps your Beholders admire you in secret, are not as vocal as those at our market. You never know. 😉

      Delete
  5. Based on your new profile picture, the dudes talking to you are correct. You ARE beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a good idea about the meal tickets! I really dislike moochers. I hope she uses them and it works! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope she uses them too and not just for bingo as we've had other events where moochers have displayed some disgusting, greedy behaviors.

      Delete
  7. Great idea about the tickets. And, oh dear Shirley, you on a bad day are more beautiful than anyone around. The latest profile picture proves it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to go to bingo ... not this Friday but sometime in the future, to see how the tickets work and who has been fighting.

      Delete
  8. Man, you are sweeping them off their feet, coming and going. Also, love the name KFROG. Too cute. I love the tickets idea. That is the best way to handle intruders without being rude. And, like you said, there are probably other events that this would work also. I like the idea of people contributing little items for the bingo win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The strokes are coming fewer and far between but, at 82, I'm surprised and delighted they come at all, LOL. The station I listen to is 95.1 and KFROG seems an odd name for a country/western station; but I suppose there's some history and a good reason for it.

      Delete
  9. Tickets is a great idea.
    And from what I've seen from the photos you share here, your not-so-secret admirer was spot on about your beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh damn, I wonder what the person of the car did to someone to make them mad. Or if it was random and they saw something they wanted to steal. I had someone use a paint pen on my car years ago. They wrote, "Bitch" on my drivers side window. LOL Guess I made someone mad.

    it's still in the 90's here and next week will be over 100. I'm so looking forward to cooler weather soon.

    Bingo should be fun. But if all those rules are having to be told to people I can see why you stopped going. Not being quiet during Bingo would set me off too. I think the tickets are a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know which resident I've seen driving in/out in that car. She seems pleasant enough, so can't image why she was targeted. The car has been gone for days now, while I saw her still here, doing laundry. I'm assuming it's out for window repair. I also found out who was arguing in bingo ... it was our Maga person. Should have figured she'd be the one, LOL.

      Delete
  11. Haven't been able to comment for days. I hope it's personal so nobody else suffers the same fate. As for how we perceive ourselves, sometimes we're tougher on how we look and don't see us as others see us. You always look fantastic Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read the inability to comment has been going around. Always something with blogger. I for sure don't walk around seeing myself as others do and sometimes surprise my own self when I catch a glimpse in a mirror, think pretty and realize it's me. LOL.

      Delete