Friday, January 16, 2026

You Read it Here First

Booting up the laptop this morning, I found the TikToker’s observation that white people have birds right up front and center, front page news feed.


The magazine Newsweek picked up the story, called it a "participatory trend", interviewed the TikToker who said "she noted the pattern seems more common among older people".

"The theory quickly turned into a participatory trend, as others walked through their homes examining, finding nothing, then noticing dozens of birds on wallpaper, figurines, classical ornaments, a table lamp shaped like a peacock, chicken figurines, a bird clock, and a "Black autistic person, whose special interest is birds" leveling the demographic playing field by admitting 500+ bird decorations".

When interviewed by Newsweek, the TikTok Creator indicated "the pattern appeared more common among older people".

What I really found interesting was mention that the decorating observation wasn’t the only bird theory out there, that earlier it was used as a test for relationship compatibility.

"The test involved telling a significant other you saw a bird that day, then watching how they respond. Partners who ask follow-up questions show interest in the relationship, while those who seem disinterested might indicate larger relationship issues".

Well, that sent me down the TikTok rabbit hole as both men and women tested the theory on partners. Some passed, some failed.

One guy dumped his girlfriend because, when he said he'd seen a bird, she completely ignored him, LOL.


I dunno, seems kind of sappy to me, but that may because I’m tainted in matters of relationships; too practical minded, too old, too tired, no time or patience for the care and feeding of another human's feelings.

If a guy were to tell me he saw a bird, I’d be more likely to dash cold water in his face by saying something like, "Was it a bird, a plane or superman".

Meanwhile, Newsweek went on to say "the decorating bird theory continues spreading as 2026's first major viral trend".

Just remember that I, little Miss Smarty Pants, was the one that initially put you readers onto the theory. You read it here first.

In other news, the Baker, a few days ago, asked that if she put together new bingo rules would I print the rules out for her.

Of course, I said sure.

The Baker later texted that the organizers decided not to issue new rules, but rather to "sit and talk to everybody about them".

Interest peaked, of course I had to inquire, and it seems bingo might be in trouble — people won’t shut up while the game is in play, contributions are down making money tight for prizes and snacks.

To help keep bingo going, the Baker’s two daughters have agreed to donate lunches on bingo day to "save us a little money and to remind people that we need some donations to put on our winners table".

All in all, seems there are a lot of takers, not many givers, too many Chatty Cathy’s and I think it just awful that, in order to keep bingo going, because they know their mother loves giving of her time and energy in organizing bingo for the seniors, that the Baker’s two daughters have to step up to save the activity.

Today is Bingo Friday. I’m tempted to participate for the tea.

We’ll see.

24 comments:

  1. Oh Shirley, we KNOW you're on the Cutting Edge all the time! The Rare One and I use to talk about birds, specifically the effen magpies that would start their raucous screaming outside our window at dawn every morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping up with what's new and exciting, except when it comes to politics, is what I do, LOL. I've never heard a magpie, but I did see an episode of Fear Thy Neighbor where a neighbor fed the magpies, encouraged them to a tree, which drove another neighbor nuts and ended in the neighbor ending the life of the magpie feeder. So, I can imagine the sound is, like you say, pretty "raucous".

      Delete
  2. This bird thing is hilarious. I am thinking that not responding to a random comment about a bird is a weird criteria for a relationship and maybe someone was looking for an out!
    That is sad about bingo. I know a lot of people look forward to playing and winning. Very sweet of her daughters to step up and help out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He probably did have breaking up on his mind, with his girlfriend not responding the deciding factor, the last straw. The Baker's family and the Talker's family have done so much for this community ... devoted time, energy and money.

      Delete
  3. I would hope people use a few other criteria beyond bird talking to decide about relationships. But yes, I read it here first. But I don't think DJT's bird flipping at the Ford employee helped the relationship. Consider wearing a mask when visiting the alleged party. Flu, bird flu or other, is flying rampant. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If one is on the fence as to whether a relationship is worth continuing on with, the bird test might work as the deciding factor.

      Delete
  4. Baker, Talker and you are the. most generous. Unfortunately there are so many takers, I don't know how they cannot be ashamed to keep grabbing and taking without wanting to give back. Once I notice a person is a taker I just start to dislike and resent them. There are so many ways to be a giver which do not involve $$. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the residents love bingo, depend on bingo and the other activities the organizers prepare for them. So, hopefully, when they learn the activities are in danger of not continuing due to lack of donations, they'll be more thoughtful, contribute what they can.

      Delete
  5. I wonder if all the talking during Bingo is because there are so few other scheduled social activities?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sure that has something to do with it. Dkzody hit it on the head. They're going to be up sh!tz creek if bingo folds, so best to work harder at being quiet.

      Delete
  6. About the talkers at bingo, that's the reason they come to bingo, to talk. These people are isolated, lonely, and looking for company. Bingo is offered, and they show up. Especially if they are going to be fed. It's just a grand party. Which means they will talk. This isn't something you can fix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you're right about gathering to talk and be fed. Same thing happened when we used to have Movie Night. People would talk about their cats, their dogs, whatever, ruin it so I couldn't hear the movie. Last time I attended movie night, I wanted to scream at the talkers, chose to walk out instead. Not a problem now as we no longer have movie night.

      Delete
  7. My daughter and I both heard the trend and we looked but we don't have any birds hanging anywhere in the apaprtment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You two are the exception to the rule. Interesting.

      Delete
  8. Sounds like some tough love is needed for the Bingo games. The caller should get small air horn to blast at those who talk when numbers are being called and warn attendees before the game starts that if the air horn is used three times, then that day's Bingo is OVER. Do that for one or two Bingo events and the Chatty Cathys will get the message! Could residents not chip in a dollar or two per person for snacks? It's really not fair to take advantage of the Baker's daughters like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A dollar or two sounds fair, especially when they're getting food, drinks, prizes. Believe it or not the bingo caller had used the rubber chicken squawk, an air horn, and Upstairs Lady who has a loud abrasive voice has yelled SHUT UP, I CAN'T HEAR!, but nothing has worked so far to keep the Chatty Cathy's quiet, LOL. The Baker is too nice. I've told her time and time again about letting the residents take advantage of her. But does she listen? Nooooooo. Now she's bending over backwards even more by having her daughters provide the food.

      Delete
    2. You can only be taken advantage of repeatedly if you let yourself be -- Baker must be getting some sort of emotional payoff from this or she'd grow a backbone. If an air horn doesn't work on the Chatty Cathys, then I'd stop calling numbers until they shut up or cancel Bingo completely. Selfish A-holes like that always need to learn the hard way, LOL!

      Delete
    3. This last Friday wasn't bingo Friday, it's on the 23rd. Guess I'll go to watch the show, see how ugly it's gotten.

      Delete
  9. Curious that I read your post today because . . I saw a bird! It was a big bluejay who swooped down and landed on my patio. He appeared to have a peanut in his beak and then he flew up to the fencetop and then away. It's the first jay in awhile and I was pleased to see him, even though overnight freezing temperatures have necessitated taking the birdbath down for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You actually saw a bluejay in freezing temperatures. Tough little bird, but how many bird figurines or pictures do you have in your house?

      Delete
  10. I saw that post just recently. I am totally guilty. I've always fed the birds when I lived somewhere that I could. We recently received a ban on that here so I am trying to find it down slowly so the birds start looking elsewhere. At any rate I do have a variety of birds in my house. I knew I was hooked but I didn't realize that it was such an old folk's habit. I'm going to have to start a list and check off all the old folk's habits I have fallen into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm going to have to start a list and check off all the old folk's habits I have fallen into" ... LOL, the article said old folks, but looking at the videos of all ages on TikTok saying they're guilty of birds, I don't think it's so much an age thing.

      Delete