Saturday, January 10, 2026

Home Alone

Some of you will recall the now 19-year-old Great Granddaughter that I never knew I had until last year …… adopted away from my prodigal granddaughter at 2 months old, none of us even knowing of her birth, she last year found us through Twin 1’s social media.

Since finding us, she’s become an integral part of our dysfunctional family and texted on Thursday that she was spending a few days with the sister of her adopted mother here in the Inland Empire/San Bernardino.

Googling her location, finding she was a mere 3-1/2 miles away, I picked her up on Friday morning and we "hung out", if you can call it that as it was too cold to go anywhere, do anything.

Both of us run cold, so whereas I bundle up, suffer a little so as not to run up the heating bill, I didn’t want her to suffer. Consequently, the heater ran all day/all night.

I don’t even want to see the bill, not to mention I’ll get a harassing notice from the utility company indicating I’m using more therms than others in the area.

After dropping her back off to her adopted Auntie this morning, back to being Home Alone I reflected on the visit, realized I’m a boring person.

Friday being a bingo day, it would have been fun for her to play bingo with the seniors, but bingo had been cancelled due to so many of the Usual Suspects being ill.

The organizers wisely didn’t want to take the risk of exposing others to whatever was going around, cancelled bingo until the 23rd.

Had this been summer, we could have hung out at the pool — she swimming, me lounging in the jacuzzi OR we could have gone shopping at the mall OR basking in the sun, listening to music at the farmer’s market, she gorging on all the street food, me wishing I could.

As it was, both of us being quiet/reflective, there wasn’t a lot of conversation; mostly she on TikTok, me watching Food Network, then both of us, later that night, rating Queens on RuPaul's Drag Race — which her super religious adopted mom would have thoroughly disapproved of.

Probably why, to put it in her words, "I’m so happy to have met you guys". We’re dysfunctional, but we’re open, accepting, we look, we listen, and we do not judge.

As for what she’s been doing since graduating, with a goal of entering the nursing field, she currently working on getting certified in Ultrasound Technology, but took time out of her studies to participate in the Los Angeles protest against ICE.

When things turned violent …… the person she attended the protest with was hit by ICE with a rubber missile, she wisely opted out of the protest, went back home.

Inasmuch as ICE are a bunch of sickos that will aim for the eyes to maim, or end you for no good reason like Renee Good, going home seemed like a good move.

22 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear she did not put herself in harm's way when trouble started. We cannot trust the untrained paid pretend army to use wise judgement or to be fair and just. I think that is hitting home with the events of the past week.
    It sounds like she has a fine head on her shoulders both for her choice to leave and in her career plans! She sounds like a great additional to your very functional dysfunctional family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DNA testing has led to a lot of reunions---for lack of a better word. It's got to be somewhat weird to entertain an adult granddaughter you never knew about but you sure get a A for acceptance and for trying.

    ICE: Has got to go!!! I've never been so ashamed of our country as I am now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would be difficult for me to entertain anyone, interact on a one-on-one basis. I'm so accustomed to riding solo.

      Delete
  3. I think that's very cool you got some time with your great granddaughter. Will we ever see the day ICE is gone? I never thought I'd see the day people are getting killed by our own government and no one blinks an eye, and ICE gets away with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There has to be a special place in hell for ICE agents.

      Delete
  4. Your found great-granddaughter sounds like a truly decent person. So glad you got that time together. Quiet time together is just as important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I can't hang with just anyone, as the needless nonstop chatter gets on my nerves, gives me a headache, LOL.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I bet she LOVED watching Drag Race with you! Who wouldn't? She has an ultra cool great-grandma!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🤣 she did. She knew of it but first time seeing because they don't watch things like that at home. Her adopted mom and aunt can never visit me because, if they saw the skeletons/voodoo dolls, they would forbid her associating with me, think I'm corrupting her, not knowing her head is in the same space and that she just has to hide it from their religious selves.

      Delete
  6. I think y'all are lucky to have found one another. You fit together and can just be.

    Don't get me started on ICE or those murderous f*cks in the regime who should be tried for their crimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Just be" is what it felt like. She a really good kid, and a deep thinker, which jells with my chi.

      Delete
  7. I remember that your Birthday must just have passed, I know you rarely mention it but I hope the new great granddaughters visit was a happy part of those days! JanF. BTW I'm 81 in less than 2 weeks now-ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I never ever have mentioned my birthday, because I've never cared to celebrate birthdays, and did quietly slip from 81 into 82, I wonder how you figured it out.

      Delete
  8. I think that is great - meeting up with new family member. I'm boring too but I've spent a lot of time with Grandson while I am on laptop and he on his phone. Unfortunately, it is what we do as a society, I think. I believe in a large network of family and made up family. Sometimes a person has interests or habits that only one person shares so you need lots of variety in people to share your varied interests.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true about needing a variety in people.

      Delete
  9. Sounds like you and your "new" great granddaughter are already able to enjoy quiet companionship. And she now has a safe place to get away from her uber religious mother and aunt -- a valuable counterpoint for any young woman!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She lives in Los Angeles, likely to spend more time with my granddaughter (her biological aunt); but get this. Her adopted aunt at whose home I picked her up from, took a liking to me, said I was really pretty, warm, called me "a new friend" and asked if I was interested in doing a trip to Vegas with her. She's 20 years younger than I, is talkative, energetic and works just down the street (nurse) from where I live. Nice that we connected (until she sees my voodoo dolls, skeletons), but I'm winding down in life while she's just getting started.

      Delete
  10. It's nice that you all found each other and get along.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we're lucky. I gather that when adoptees find their biological family, it doesn't always turn out so well.

      Delete
  11. You ARE funny! I thought we knew how old you are, but I wasn't worrying about it. (It's in your write-up from the "About" column to the right!) Maybe you're roaming around a different sun and the numbers don't mean anything!
    Keep stabbing your dolls; we need hope. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just says I'm 82. Doesn't say when I became 82 but you're correct. The numbers mean nothing to me. As for stabbing the dolls ... the more he does, the more desperate he seems. Makes me think the end is near.

      Delete