Insofar as I know, not a lot going on around here but, still in my hibernating era, what do I know.
I’d have to hang out with the seniors for tea, and I’m not yet ready to jump back into the peopley world.
This month’s Activity Calendar, which is no longer delivered to our doors, no longer emailed to those of us who signed up for Rent Café, but now can be picked up from a newly installed wall box near the office, indicated on Kesha Tuesday, "New Year Celebration. Join us to start of 2026 with food, fun and community".
I wasn’t going to be suckered into nothingness again but, heading out to run errands that morning, I checked the Community Room to see if it was another scam.
Saw it was not exactly a complete scam, but seriously overbilled.
There were only eight of the Usual Suspects in attendance, saw no sign of Kesha, didn’t see any food or fun, but the group said Kesha had ordered Pizza.
I didn’t stick around long enough to find out if it was one large pizza to be shared amongst those in attendance or what, but it looks like what Kesha does is wait to see who shows up at her so-called "food fun" events, then order something for them to eat. Fly by the seat of her pants so to speak.
Remember Thanksgiving, when Kesha's "food fun" turned out to be a small bag of potato chips?
Those potato chips came in handy a few days ago when, looking for a binder for the turkey meatloaf I was making, I came across those chips, broke them up in the blinder, added to the ground turkey.
This morning was my Recertification appointment. I had to gather bank statements, sources of income records, prove to the office that I’m still poor enough to be living here.
The way qualifying income is calculated seems grossly unfair, causing me, on paper, to look wealthy, which I am not.
First, they add up what one has coming in monthly through sources of income, THEN they add any savings one has in the bank to come up with qualifying income.
Problem for me with this is that the same money is being considered income twice. First as what is coming in, and then again if any of that money is not used, but saved.
Do you get me? Did I explain that clearly?
So, anyway, once the Assistant Manager totaled everything up, I came across as a rich b!tch and qualified by the hair of my chinny chin chin.
She said I almost went over, was less than a hundred dollars under the cap.
"What happens when one goes over?" asked I, knowing full well it meant, I’d be kicked to the curb, have to move out of this income restricted community AND unable to afford the high price of living in other communities, who knows where I would have landed.
"I don’t know. It’s never happened before", said she.
I find that hard to believe, inasmuch as we had a few millionaires living here at one time. They must have had a system where us residents knew they were plush, but the office did not.
The three millionaires I knew of have passed away, and inasmuch as management seems to be bringing in more from the county roll, fewer actual retirees, I seriously doubt we currently have any hidden millionaires.
At any rate, I’m qualified, still poor enough to continue living here, which may not be by the hair of my chinny chin chin for much longer.
My sources of income were set to be distributed over a period of 15 years. I’m living too long. Those 15 years are rapidly reaching their dates of expiration, after which I’ll definitely be poor enough to qualify as income restricted.
So, anyway, Recertification is over until this time next year.
Many many years ago my husband was temporarily laid off and I had to apply for food stamps. I know exactly where you are coming from with the counting of income and the counting of saving the same income. It was one situation like that after another. We had been married about five years and had taken out a life insurance policy at that time. It had a cash value of barely anything. It was suggested that this young family with two children and one more on the way cash in that policy. They also required him to go on job interviews, one for a minimum wage position almost 50 miles away when he had a call back date in six weeks for his regular job which paid about three times that.
ReplyDeleteAnd you know the people I work with in my charity. We had a young mother one January who had picked up some overtime in Nov and Dec so she could afford to buy Christmas presents for her kids. She made $10 too much and lost $400 worth of food stamps. How exactly does that math work?
The system is rigged to keep the poor/the needy, poor and needy. A can't win for losing situation.
DeleteImagine being $100 over the threshold and having to pay 5 times as much for rent somewhere else. What idiocy. I’m glad you’re rich-poor! And isn’t it the HAIR on your chinny chin chin? Then again, you don’t have any!
ReplyDeleteIt would have been a catastrophe. I think Debra's idea is the way for me to go in future ... the old under the mattress bank.
DeleteSounds like your savings need to go under your mattress instead of in the bank where there's a written record of them.
ReplyDeleteThat's probably what the millionaires on the property did. Hid their wealth under the mattress or had safes in their units. Not taking any chances that they might do a recount, I'll be heading for the bank fairly soon, maybe close the savings account all together.
Delete
ReplyDeleteGood news. You're happy enough there and who wants to go through the trouble and cost of moving. I agree that their formula doesn't seem right.
I guess the powers that be just want to make sure we stay dirt poor, no savings, nothing to fall back on.
DeleteJeepers! Make sure your mattress is fireproof. Had a nurse colleague who constantly bragged that he had loads of money hidden in his house. Then his house burned. Fireproof safe is good. Safe deposit box might be better. Lina in Kansas
ReplyDeleteWith all the fires we get around here, a small fireproof safe might be best.
DeleteI have a small fireproof safe inherited from my parents who kept valuable papers mostly in there. I don't really use it, because if I were ever robbed, it would make it too easy for the thieves. I definitely suggest the safe deposit route, leaving some money in your savings account for your own convenience. Also, you don't want the entire savings amount to disappear, because they look back at previous reports. If it all goes missing in one fell swoop, they will want to know why. I would slowly decrease the savings account by nominal amounts over the next couple of years, easily explained by some imaginary household purchases. If the difference this year is $100, maybe leave $400 breathing room?
DeleteNina
Safe deposit box seems more trouble than I want to go through for my meager savings and, should I pass away, might make things difficult for my twins to get to; but decreasing by "nominal amounts" makes a lot of sense. I have until this time next year to get it done. As for "imaginary purchases", the high and escalating cost of food will make it easy to cover for it, LOL.
Delete