Monday, August 25, 2025

Bad for My Image

Having long enjoyed being considered the "Hot Girl" amongst us old folks, the new jewelry Twin 1 ordered is putting my image in serious jeopardy.


After looking into Will Jay’s suggestions to "design some jewelry or fiber art to hide/disguise the Life Alert device" and thus far drawing a blank, I thought maybe I’d just tuck it in.


But then Will Jay’s story about a friend’s mom setting off an accidental alert by tucking the device in her waistband got me to thinking how easily it would be for the device to get squeezed into an alert tucked in such a snug place, not to mention it sometimes gets hot in there and that alone might set off a false alarm.

Maybe I can just shorten the rope, turn the device into a choker, thought I.



Nope! That makes the device even more obvious.

I looked into exchanging the pendant for a bracelet or watch, but Life Alert only offers the option of a necklace pendant with its systems.

So, I dunno but, heading for the market today, I decided to give tucking a try.

Crossing the parking lot, I ran into Next Door Neighbor. The device, tucked inside, she never even noticed there was something attached to the rope as we chatted for a while about what a great job my boyfriend in my head Dark Gavin is doing ("Dark" because, taking a step from blog friend Dawn who, when pushed transforms into Dark Dawn, and now seeing my boyfriend transforming into a version of The Punisher, I've rewarded him with the superhero name of Dark Gavin).

I did have to be careful in placement of the car’s seat belt, because the normal position was right across the device, sure to put pressure on the button, set it off.


I had to position the belt above the device, across my throat.

I can't get a ticket for the awkward, probably unsafe, position as the law only says to wear it, and it's being worn.


While in the market, I did some bending, stooping, reaching. None of these motions seemed likely to result in an accidental alert. So, thus far, it seems tucking is the way to go.

One of the items on my marketing list was kale. I eat a lot of kale, I mean a lot, a lot and saw it today was selling $3 for two bunches, but who do they think they’re kidding.

Kale aficionado that I am, I noticed right away the price is not a bargain, that what used to be one healthy bunch at $2.50 is now selling as two slimmer bunches, i.e., the two smaller bunches at $3.00 is the same amount of kale in one bunch previously sold for $2.50, but disguised as 2 for $3.00 — $0.50 cents more.

No matter. I'll buy kale however bountiful or not the bunch, whatever price.

Not on my grocery list were these Aloha bell peppers, but they called my name. So wanting to see if they taste any different than regular bells, and because they’re pretty, I purchased two.


BTW, under the title of Work Smarter Not Harder, did you know you can dispense with hand massaging, and instead use the mixer to massage your kale.


30 comments:

  1. Well, you're still the Hot Girl Shirley. How about a small Macrame Pouch around that Alert, you could still then press the button when needed for a Medical Emergency but some Cute little Macrame Pouches would look quite Boho and detach so you could wear several different ones around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking at the selection on Etsy right now. Thanks!

      Delete
  2. PS: Etsy had some cute ones: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1897064375/set-of-12-handmade-nepali-gift-pouches?gpla=1&gao=1&&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=shopping_us_ps-a-paper_and_party_supplies&utm_custom1=_k_CjwKCAjwk7DFBhBAEiwAeYbJsYxSK1ny_PBT63wj8X6378iUEGJbXUE3gK8oIv8sx73-jwMLrCzTQhoCOckQAvD_BwE_k_&utm_content=go_22198875034_173963729186_731690913991_aud-2081989379405:pla-314261241107_c__1897064375_12768591&utm_custom2=22198875034&gad_source=1&gad_campaignid=22198875034&gbraid=0AAAAADtcfRLLjY3XcOBymqImowu1-0ndE&gclid=CjwKCAjwk7DFBhBAEiwAeYbJsYxSK1ny_PBT63wj8X6378iUEGJbXUE3gK8oIv8sx73-jwMLrCzTQhoCOckQAvD_BwE

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are cute but, because they look easy to make and I've got extra fabric all over the place, going to take a stab at making some to cover my device. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Those peppers are cute! Have you been able to try them yet?

    Most of the produce I buy is going up in price, but we have to eat something so I'm reluctantly buying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Going to make breakfast potatoes in the morning. Can't have onions, but I can chop up the peppers, add them, see if taste any different than regular red or green peppers.

      Delete
  4. Looking forward to seeing your more stylish solution!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe I should send you some of my Fringe to cover it. I wear my insulin pump in a Spibelt around my waist. I think I got it from Amazon. It has a bigger pocket than you need, but it might hold the alarm without triggering it if you bump into something. It looks like a small fanny pack, and I wear it both inside and outside my outfits. You might try looking for suggestions for insulin pump wearers. Also, what about those things on your arm that runners wear? Again, bigger than you need but ...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That fringe looks awful heavy. Have you figured out how you're going to use it yet?

      Delete
  6. Those are beautiful peppers, but I'm not a pepper person unless its a Dr. Pepper. Could throw the alert fob to your back sometimes maybe? I like the idea of a macrame pouch. Longer cord to avoid the seatbelt? Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try the seatbelt under the arm, under the breasts next time I'm in the car.

      Delete
  7. I KNOW you got this! Give yourself the grace of time to figure it out. You're already doing the design analysis seeing how to incorporate it into your everyday life. Once you get the pouch/carrier figured out, consider jazzing up the lanyard or replacing it with something with a bit more pizzazz? Maybe wrapping it in a coordinated yarn or crocheting a tube covering? I'm assuming that the lanyard has a release clip or feature that you'll want to work around to keep.

    All of this is from the little old man wearing the stainless steel necklace that holds the ampule with the nitro-glycerin tablets - it ain't pretty, but...

    Will Jay

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know you'll come up with a crafty solution but please wear your seatbelt as you should - having been in a head on collision I can tell you the pain/damage from the seatbelt and airbag is dreadful even when worn correctly but hate to think of the damage if worn incorrectly. (Sorry, not that you'll have an accident but best be safe not sorry 👍)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I get the device in a little pouch where I can wear it outside, rather than tuck, it will be over the seatbelt to where I can belt properly, but thanks for the concern.

      Delete
  9. Massaging kale? I had no idea. As for you, you’re STILL the hot girl. But, yeah, that jewelry is a bit much. I bought a different brand for my mother (can’t remember what) and it was the watch style, which was less noticeable. Too bad the rope doesn’t come in different colors. But, tucking it in I would think would work fine. Besides, it’s a great thing to have and as I said, you’re still the hot girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kale is really hard on the digestive system if you don't massage to soften it. I'm working on getting a chain to replace the rope and making a little decorative pouch to keep the device in so I can maintain my Hot Girl status for as long as possible, LOL.

      Delete
    2. Shirley, you will obviously always be the hot girl!

      Delete
  10. I don't know why the Life Alert folks don't make the device look pretty. I mean they could design all kinds of things ... it's a whole new market.

    A kale version, perhaps ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "A kale version" ... don't give me any ideas, LOL. But you're right about a whole new market.

      Delete
  11. I buy kale for making juice. I cannot stand to eat it, but mixed with lots of ingredients and put through the juicer, I can handle kale. I never even look at prices of produce, I just buy it. I cannot eat green bell peppers, but red ones are just fine. I would love to try your multicolored ones. I've not seen any in our stores. Yeah, the elder monitor is not for the fashionable among us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear green juicing is a healthy thing but, much as I love kale, I can't imagine juicing and drinking it. After massaging, I chop it up finely, to aid digesting it, have it as a salad and toss handfuls of kale in stir-fry, mixed in roasted potatoes and generally in most of what I cook.

      Delete
  12. Hmmmmm....what if, you wore it as a watch? Like an Apple Watch.......don't they have alerts on them? Maybe somehow there is an app that can connect the software on your medical alert to the watch......dunno.....just a thought. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually would have preferred a watch type, but making the best of this necklace.

      Delete
  13. I've been wearing a device like yours since 2012 when my husband died. It's saved my life once and gives me security I wouldn't have without it. I tuck in my cleavage and it has been set off accidentally about once a month but you have so many seconds to push the button to cancel accidents. To me, it just confirms that it is working so it's not big deal and never goes off in public because it only happens when I lean against my work table. I do like the bag idea that Dawn (up above) gave you a link to. I might try making one or two. They'd have to be thin enough not to interfere with using the button.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn's bag idea sent me to the sewing machine. After 4 tries, I think I've got a bag pattern worked out.

      Delete
  14. I've made kale like I make fresh spinach. It came out good. I really like Rainbow Chard too. All three of those vegies taste similar to me.

    ReplyDelete