Friday, July 25, 2025

Water Water Everywhere Nor Any Drop to Drink

Long story short, I ended up in the ER around midnight Wednesday.

After 15 minutes on the treadmill, 5 minutes on the cross trainer, an additional 10 minutes on the treadmill that morning, I pulled out the yoga mat for a cool down stretch and suddenly felt lightheaded/dizzy when I got into the downward facing dog position.

Not all that unusual. Despite staying hydrated with copious amounts of water and a little Pedialyte (which btw tastes awful), I frequently feel lightheaded these days.

So, brushing the sensation off, I lay in the corpse position —flat on my back, and relaxed until I felt good to go.

Some time during that same day, I became aware of being a little wobbly on my feet and began feeling a sharp pain radiating down my left arm.

Some days are better than others, work through it, I said to myself.

Along about bedtime, pain in the left arm now killing me, a rapid BP rise, something told me to Google "heart attack in women".

Pressure, squeezing, or fullness in the chest — NO
Pain that radiates to the arm, back, neck, or jaw — YES
Shortness of breath — YES and NO
Nausea or vomiting — NO
Fatigue — YES and NO
Dizziness or lightheadedness — YES
Sweating — NO
Indigestion — NO
Anxiety — NO
Palpitations — NOT SURE WHAT THAT WOULD FEEL LIKE

Erring on the side of caution, I called Twin 1 (who lives in the adult building next door to the complex) and, when she answered said, "Don’t panic, stay calm, I need you to come get me, take me to emergency. I think I’m showing signs of a heart attack".

I was fast tracked at the medical center and the EKG showed that, inspite of my hard as nails exterior, I do still have a heart and it was "fine".

That being the case, I was ready to head back home, but Twin 2 wheeled me into a chest x-ray ("wheeled", because BP was up to 163 by now, causing me to feel wobbly on my feet).

After that, I was wheeled over to wait for blood draw but, heart attack was my only concern, and having been told it wasn’t that, I was ready to leave.

So, against her will, I made Twin 2 drive me home, close to 2 a.m., where I went to bed knowing I wasn’t likely to die in my sleep from a heart attack, even though I still had that pain in the arm.

Twin 2 thinks it's dehydration yet again and, on Thursday, had Instacart deliver electrolyte sports drinks to my door.



Water Water Everywhere Nor Any Drop to Drink, because, not only do I not have space to store all this water but, after researching the drinks, I learned I’d be curing one problem by creating a worse one — the mother of all gut episodes, because the "natural fruit" ingredient in the 2 mango flavored Electrolit, 2 fruit punch flavored Electrolit, 4 grape flavored Powerade Zero, 7 grape flavored Powerade Zero are not fodmap safe.

Water Water Everywhere Nor Any Drop to Drink, except the 8-gallons of Pure Life distilled electrolyte is listed as safe.

Twin 2 meant well, went through quite a bit of expense, and I hate to tell her I couldn’t and didn’t drink any of the flavored ones. In fact, if she doesn’t ask, I’m not saying, but what to do with the drinks?

I texted head of the High Table — the Baker, "I’ve been gifted with quite a lot of flavored sports electrolyte drinks that my sensitive gut won’t allow me to drink. Do you think they can serve as prizes on the bingo table?"

"Yes, I bet they will love them".

Bingo is today, so I snuck them down to the bingo table just a little while ago, before the room got all peopley.


Today, I'm feeling a little tired, like I'm not getting enough sleep, which I'm probably not what with staying up late watching chinese dramas in bed on the laptop, but the pain in the arm has finally subsided, so today is business as usual.

43 comments:

  1. That's scary. I hope it's just dehydration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm at peace with whatever, but Twin 1 and Twin 2 are freaking out.

      Delete
  2. Please follow up with your regular doc. You should have stayed until the ER figured out what was happening. It's REAL hard to write your lovely blog if you aren't functioning correctly. As a previous cardiac nurse, some labs require drawing blood 3 times, with a 2-3 hour space between them to see if your cardiac enzymes were trying to have a heart attack. Sounds like your blood pressure med needs adjusting. Scary for you. Hang in there. Linda in Kansas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When last I saw the doc, not too long ago, we addressed the BP issue. She upped the number of pills I take in a day. I actually do have another appointment with the doc next month for what I don't know. After my last Lab work I received a message to set up this upcoming appointment, so I'll then find out what it's all about. My guess, she's going to put me on meds for high cholesterol. My spirit is too young to have to be dealing with a body that's getting old, can't keep up.

      Delete
    2. That's being a pretty compliant patient! Take a copy of your ER visit discharge to the doc, with the labs if you can retrieve them. They like that instead of digging through the computer records, IF the doc office is part of the ER system with access. Yes, your young spirit needs cooperation from your almost elderling body! Linda in Kansas

      Delete
  3. Does the pain cave have an Automated External Defibrillator (AED) hanging on the wall? If not, make him get one. Also, do you have a Kardia mobile EKG device? (https://kardia.com/products/kardiamobile) If not, you can get one for $79, or $106 for the 6 lead device. I just saw online that Walmart has the single lead device for $39. That's the lowest price I've ever seen for the basic model.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You must have missed that Trainer and I broke up. I now do my workouts at home, with my own equipment.

      Delete
  4. Thank goodness it wasn't a heart attack! But that BP is worrying. It's been an issue for a little while now, hasn't it? I hope your doctor is trying to fix things!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's the thing, ER can only do so much. Perhaps you should see your regular cardiologist who knows your heart better than any other medical person. Also knows your history. I doubt that the ER had your heart test results to look at unless they are connected with your cardiology group. Terry and I are fortunate in that the hospital and the heart group are connected so they all speak the same test results and reports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had a problem with my heart. This is the first time I've shown those kinds of symptoms, so I'm not to bothered about it. I've got bigger issues to work myself through.

      Delete
  6. Well, glad to hear you have a heart--I kid, I always knew that--and even happier to hear it wasn't a heart attack.
    Take care of yourself and drink the water, especially in this heat even if you're indoors!
    Don't make me put on my sexy Male Nurse Costume and fly out there!!!! 😁😁

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another trip to the ER might be worth it, just to see you in that sexy male nurse costume 🤣

      Delete
    2. Hell, I 'd fly out to see that!!!!!!

      Delete
    3. I do look good!!! 👨🏼‍⚕️👨🏼‍⚕️👨🏼‍⚕️

      Delete
    4. I believe you, but let's see. Post a photo on your site.

      Delete
  7. As others have said, please follow up. Don't ignore the issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately, I'm already scheduled to see her first week in August.

      Delete
  8. I sure hope you will be alright. Keep us posted. The same thing just happened to the lady who work in our customer service department, and she is still out. I understand her symptoms were much the same.

    And I too hate sports drinks and Pedialyte. I have a friend who swears by Pedialyte when hung over. He says drink a whole bottle and you'll feel better. Screw that. Keep me laying down, in a cool, dark room with water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does the woman in customer service exercise? I think the fact that I try to stay fit is what keeps me on my feet and the ability to soldier on through medical challenges.

      Delete
  9. That is a little scary. I would feel better if you would follow up with the doctor, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer holistic cures, but I'll listen to what the doc has to say, which will probably be pills. Medication is all traditional medicine seems to know.

      Delete
  10. Yeah, I’d be with Twins 1 and 2 and their worries. I do hope you’ll follow up with the doctor and know for sure that it’s dehydration. It sure is likely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Twin 1 has begun calling first thing in the morning, last thing at night, to make sure I'm still alive, saying "Just checking" then hangs up when I answer the phone, LOL.

      Delete
  11. How frightening! I hope you are OK.......On the water side, do you ever drink "Smart Water"? It is all I drink now. It has electrolytes and NO sugar. It just tastes like water. I used to get dehydrated ALL the time because I sweat so much when I exercise. The Smart Water has really helped me. I hope you can find a solution.....dehydration is scary. Roberta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did in fact discover Smart Water the last time I was diagnosed as dehydrated. I like it but, believe it or night, it caused nocturnal pruritus ... itchy skin on my legs at night.

      Delete
  12. I'm glad you're OK! Dehydration can happen so fast, especially with all the heat waves/ heat domes that are everywhere this summer! I also hope your doctor investigates your BP more closely -- time for a medication review, I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's suggested certain medications in the past, which I've resisted cause I don't like being dependent on meds, but I may have to change my tune and comply.

      Delete
  13. That's scary. I'm glad you're alright.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Dang. I wonder what that was all about. Dehydration is good to watch out for but arm pain is strange. You should have stayed for the other tests but like you, I probably would have gone home. If it comes back - take care of that business right away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The arm pain is gone and the lightheadedness is lessening, so looks like I'm going to live to fight another day, LOL.

      Delete
  15. Well, whew! Glad your heart's okay, but mystery dizziness and arm pain is nothing to ignore. It is dehydration season, so hopefully that was the cause.
    Nice job finding a use for the electrolyte drinks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judging by the photos of bingo, that were sent to me for posting to the residents' page, the drinks were a big hit, quickly disappeared.

      Delete
  16. Oh Shirley, I'm so sorry to hear of this, glad the Heart is Okay, but I would get some follow-up on the lingering conditions. Nice idea on how best to use up what you couldn't tolerate, but would be great this Summer for someone who can drink the Electrolyte Drinks. Good that a Daughter lives so close to respond in an Emergency tho'... and, they meant well with the hydration Gift... good you decided not to stay something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In spite of all the Arrowhead water I've been drinking, looks like it was yet again a simple case of dehydration because, as soon as I started drinking the electrolyte Pure Water, Twin 2 sent, BP that I'd been struggling to keep under control for weeks and weeks and weeks, suddenly stabilized.

      Delete
    2. BTW, Nun Buns were an epic fail, deflated as soon as I took out of the oven, but tasted great, sort of like a deflated soufflé, LOL.

      Delete
  17. It is far too easy to become dehydrated. I never drink enough water and SWMBO doesn't either though she's better than me. Take care of yourself, don't overdo the exercise, keep that Twin close, listen to your doctor(s) and KEEP ENTERTAINING US! 😍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm learning the hard way just how easy it is to become dehydrated. Not much to entertain blog readers with these days since I became a hermit and now stay away from people.

      Delete
  18. Well, thank goodness it wasn't a heart attack! Jesus. That's scary. So it was just dehydration? Those seem like weird symptoms for dehydration.

    I'm glad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm comfortable with diagnosing myself as dehydrated, but I've got a doc appointment coming up soon, so we'll see.

      Delete