Monday, April 11, 2016

A Place for Everything, Everything in its Place

It felt good to walk into the closet this morning, look towards the rack of clothing to decide what color leggings to wear today, glance to my left and see what had been an empty space ever since my favorite belt was pilfered, empty no longer.



Yep, the mailman is now two for two lately on getting deliveries right.

The buckle arrived on the 1st and, when I opened the mailbox late Saturday and found a key to the lock box, I knew the recently ordered belt had also been delivered correctly.

I’m satisfied with the buckle/belt combo, but not completely happy.

Since retiring, I keep it simple with a basic two looks. The first is daily wear: leggings, long sleeve, short sleeve, no sleeve athletic top (depending on the weather), sandals or athletic shoes. The second look is for special occasions -- a rare party or dinner out and for when I go to hoity toity areas and have to look like I am somebody so as not to appear out-of-place, suspicious, or a hooker because I’m Black.

And yes, such places still do exist; and, yes, even at my advantaged age, I still do run into situations of being obviously and deliberately followed by security in malls, at craft shows, and viewed suspiciously as a hooker, propositioned by some perv, or mistaken as the help at the fancy hotels the meditation group selects for its weekend retreats.

I had to laugh, on one occasion at a fancy hotel in San Diego, when I was dressed appropriately as a guest, not as a maid, yet and still an elderly woman approached asking, “Honey, do you work here?”

At any rate, the second look is pretty much the same as the first: leggings, athletic top, except I add a blazer, boots and, with my favorite flag belt, it all comes together as upscale looking ... expensive, though it’s not.

This new belt is Justin, soft leather -- and that’s not Justin as in Bieber, the singer, but as in the family of H.J. Justin, the boots craftsmen. I prefer the hard leather of the original belt, but this will do for now until I run across harder leather on my travels.

On tap for today?

I’m trying to work myself up to heading out to Redlands for last week’s doctor-ordered blood pressure check. The doctor’s office called saying she’d not seen me in a while, wanted me to set up an appointment and, in the interim, stop in at any facility for a blood pressure check.

The reason she’d not seen me for a while is because I’ve been blessed with not suffering any serious injury/illness, so I don’t see the problem with not checking in because I don’t need to check in, so I'll pass on the appointment.

I do "try" to comply with the occasional blood pressure check and fasting blood thingie she requires. The blood pressure check didn’t happen last week, and I feel in my bones it’s not gonna happen today either -- maybe not even this week. She may have to resort to holding my blood pressure medication hostage, as she did last time. Lol.

I'm still feeling quiet, reflective, not wanting to be around people, but perhaps I’ll work myself up to getting out for groceries today, Starbucks and a trip to the craft store for a smaller loom, to facilitate corner work on that cross stitch project.

2 comments:

  1. I had to run errands today. Four stores. Four stops. Two trips. All I wanted to do was stay home and do things around here. I got home just about lunch time so now I have all afternoon to putter around. We had a very busy weekend with lots of activity. Like you, I'm not in much of a mood to be around people today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be in the atmosphere, seasonal, this thing of not wanting to be around people.

      Delete