Monday, August 31, 2015

Ticked Off and Confused


That’s how I was most of the day -- ticked off and confused.

I awoke ticked off because I wanted to but, because I’m on a healthy eating plan to lose weight, could not revert to my old effortless breakfast of frozen fries roasted in the oven, to go along with scrambled eggs. 

I fussed and fumed to myself, but finally settled on one slice uncured bacon (has to be uncured), eggs scrambled in olive oil, a slice of almond meal bread I made with my own hands, and a dab of sugar free jam.

Was a decent meal, but in no way diminished my craving for frozen fries with all its bad for you but tasty additives.

At any rate, I went on to plan the day around the fact, or so I thought it was a fact, my normal television programs would be disrupted due to today being the Labor Day Holiday.

At one point in the morning, I caught the tail end of Cupcake Wars.

Hummm, strange that Cupcake Wars is televised on a holiday.

Then it was off to Starbucks and the market.

Once out and about around 11 a.m., it didn’t look like or feel like a holiday. Especially since the mailman was already here at the complex making a delivery. Also, I noticed a resident (the Muslim lady who told everyone I didn’t like her because she’s Muslim) moving out.

Odd that mail would be delivered on Labor Day, and terrible to have to be moving on the Labor Day Holiday, thought I.

And for the record, I did not dislike her and could have cared less about her being Muslim. Her saying so was her guilty conscious and inability to accept responsibility for her own actions. She was very rude to me and snappish towards me when I first came in contact with her shortly after I moved in, so I crossed her off my list and ignored her. I later learned she was a bit of a bully and I guessed her initial reaction to me was her way of letting me know she was important. 

I don’t know what she expected me to do but, obviously, ignoring her wasn’t it.

I’d pass her when walking. She’d look at me without acknowledging, I’d look at her without acknowledging, but was actually conditioning myself to see her but not see her because, in my mind, she had ceased to exist.

And that was that until the day, months later, while passing her, she began smiling at me in an effort to draw me in. I said to myself, “Too late”, and continued to see but not see because she did not exist, so then she starts telling people I didn’t like her because she’s Muslim.

I still didn’t bite. I just pretended I didn’t know who she was and what they were talking about.

At any rate, she’s moving.

Interesting.

I may have to go to the potluck after all to find out what that’s about, as I knew she was one of those openly in dispute with Nurse Ratched -- whom she’d also accused of not liking her because she’s Muslim. Even had filed a lawsuit claiming discrimination based on her religion.

After Starbucks, needing cash, I could not make up my mind whether or not I should drive the 11 miles to market by the bank in the safest area, or settle on the same chain by the bank only 2 miles away, in the area that can be iffy at times.

I settled on iffy and was subjected to having to listen to the guy in line behind me having a private conversation in public on his ear piece. However, as he passed me on the way out of the market – still talking on that ear piece, I noticed he didn’t have an ear piece or a cell phone.

I should have driven the 11 miles.

On the way back to the complex, still fussing, fuming and feeling sorry for myself because I’d given up so many things (ice cream, cookies, potatoes, soy, pastas, fast foods) and still wasn’t losing weight fast enough, I passed a woman coming down the road in a wheelchair who had no legs. Her chair held an upper torso and nothing else. It was like God was slapping me in the face telling me to shut up, be happy and satisfied because I’ve nothing to complain about.

First it was the guy off his rocker at the market and now the lady in the motorized wheel chair.

I got the message. I have a healthy mind, a healthy body and have nothing to be fussing, fuming and complaining about ... so I stopped.

Once back at the complex, a little after noon, I spotted the maintenance man.

Why is he working on a holiday, when the office is closed? Is he being punished?

An hour or so later, while online, I discovered today is not a holiday at all. Labor Day isn’t until next Monday!

Now it makes sense why the mailman was making his delivery, why it did not look or feel like a holiday, why the maintenance man is on duty.

That was the longest senior moment I've had to date. All morning and half the afternoon.

Once all the ticked off and confused was over, realizing the office was open, I went down to drop off some paperwork they’d requested all residents fill out and ran into that Tall Handsome Fit Eye Candy Guy. He and his visiting young adult son were doing laundry.

I thought to myself, If he’s doing his own laundry, he’s not living with a woman.

Then came the thought, What’s wrong with him that he’s so handsome and single.

Sometimes I think I think too much.

3 comments:

  1. Labor Day this year is the latest it can occur. However, here, on September 1, it's opening of dove season. I could hear gunshots all morning while out running the sprinklers. Bah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whaaat! Gunshots! Sounds like a dangerous time to be out running the sprinklers. Be careful.

      Delete
  2. Oh, the gunshots are coming from the river bluffs to the north of us. They can't shoot in residential areas. I hate dove season, though.

    ReplyDelete