Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Community Preparedness

Spent the weekend brown knuckling it as I fought the munchies.



I think it was the fried chicken on Friday that set off the craving for even more fried foods, but I managed to work through it and got back on track for clean eating.

I even set the alarm for 5:00 on both Saturday and Sunday, to beat the heat and walk the fried chicken, potato salad and cupcake off, racking up 4.94 walking miles.

A neighbor clued me in to a park not too far from the complex that I never knew existed. It’s hidden right smack dab in the middle of a housing community but, when I checked it out, the park itself -- quite beautiful with swings and stuff I’d like to try, was completely deserted. It didn’t feel right, being on the path with homes surrounding but no people, so I passed and did my walking around my own neighborhood.

It was probably just too early in the morning to walk the park alone, so I might check it for when families are sure to be out.

Bingo Guy did not make an appearance on Monday. No surprise there, as I’d expected everything the Activities Director had organized and arranged for us was disavowed by management when she quit.

The thought crossed my mind over the weekend, it might be time to consider moving to a more socially inclined senior complex. However, when I was out and about on Monday, I realized having activities on the complex wasn’t THAT important to me – maybe to the residents who are unable to get out and about, but for right now, this place is perfect for me. Everything I need is nearby or a short drive away -- two Starbucks, a Thai Restaurant for when I just gotta have it, Walmart, Costco, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, Victoria Gardens, Citrus Mall; Plus, it’s close proximity to the location of the 5Ks which interest me -- the Claremont Zombie Run, San Dimas’ Halloween Spooktacular, and Cheetah Runners Bike Trail 5Ks; not to mention my little unit is in a good location on the complex and I have great neighbors. So, I’m good despite the lack of on-site activities.

Looking for a special flour blend online, I learned there was a walk-in location a short drive away, which sold the special blend. Driving to the location on Monday, I found myself in an alternate universe. It was a place that catered to survivalists and, if you thought Costco sold products in massive amounts, you haven’t seen anything until you’ve seen “Storable Foods for Times of Uncertainty” in 10 pound cans, grains in 50 pound bags, freeze dried, dehydrated, survival kits and emergency supplies.

It was terribly interesting to see every day normal looking people -- young, old, families, purchasing tons and tons of food products @ $50 for this $79 for that. Even more interesting, no one shopping there was Black, which novelty may be why I was approached and got myself invited to a September 12th Community Preparedness Fair.

I’m really curious as to WHAT the community is preparing FOR but, unfortunately (or fortunately) I’ve signed up for the Cheetah Runners Appreciation 5K that day.

I know I said I was exhausted from trying to keep up with the young guns and, thus, was over 5Ks a while back. But looks like I’ve still got a little left in me, and it appears I’m cutting down instead of cutting out, because I’ve signed up, so far, for three 5Ks this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment