Saturday, June 16, 2018

Community Day

It was a relief waking up this morning to the inside thermostat registering 82 degrees with a breeze coming from outside once I opened the patio doors, rather than 90 plus, because it meant not only did I not have to run the A/C at 7:00 in the morning but also I would not have to break the rules today, as I’d planned to do.
Desperately in need of Pokéballs, and today being PokémonGo’s June Community Day, there was no way I was going to be able to walk the University Campus in "extensive heat", so I’d planned to do what we are cautioned not to do – drive around, albeit slowly, in the air-conditioned car and play while in motion, with an eye out for campus security.
It was a good thing that plan to be a rebel did not materialize, because the first car I saw when I turned onto the lot was security. I also saw this ...



Dang it!
The event requiring me to have a parking sticker, or park off campus, turned out to be graduation.
However, since security did not react when I drove onto campus, I decided to take my chances, park where I normally park, and hit up as many PokéStops as I could before chances of the car being ticketed seemed looming.
I didn’t end up with a full backpack, but what I managed to collect before time ran out will have to do.
I had no protein in the house, because I’d had to cook all the fish and chicken in the freezer because, last week, the utility company emailed a Maintenance Power Outage Alert indicating transformer upgrade on Thursday, 6/21 from 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Funny thing is that when I mentioned the outage at Pizza Tuesday, no one else seemed to know about it. It can’t just be my unit and I would think the utility company would send out snail mail notices to everyone in the complex, not just those of us with online access.
But we’ll see how the neighbors manage on Thursday. I myself made plans to spend the no A/C no television no computer time in the spa having a manicure/pedicure.
At any rate, I’m still working on cooking the frozen turkey meatballs I’d made, riced cauliflower, and frozen brussel sprouts, but today I felt like trying Palak’s Beat Bobby Flay Chicken Curry recipe, as seen in the last episode of Food Network Star. So, after the campus, I stopped by the market for chicken and saw the strangest thing.
Two young ladies, who looked like college students, had purchased some sort of leafy greens, potatoes, carrots, radish BUT instead of bagging individually in those thin little clear bags one finds at the end of every row in the veggie department, they’d piled them all in one bag.
I couldn’t figure out if they were trying to put one over on the cashier or didn’t know any better. It did appear that the potatoes, carrots and radish were kind of mixed in with the leafy greens so as to disguise their presence, but who knows. Either way though – on purpose or not, the casher caught it and meticulously separated the individual items and rang them up.
If it was an attempt at shoplifting, at least the girls were thinking healthy.
Once back in my unit, ready to start on that recipe, I realized it calls for tomato puree.
I’m all out of puree, so curry will have to wait until tomorrow.
Best laid plans.
Other than needlepoint and preparing for the outage, I’ve been spending time on the couch, watching the world go by. That feeling I had of something bad happening turned out to be a family member going through a rough time and being depressed about a recurring theme in her life. Self-reflection and change is the solution, but some of us have a hard time in seeing ourselves objectively and have egos so strong, yet fragile, as to not be able to hear what others have tried to point out so as to avoid recurrence.
Waking up is not an easy process. I’m hoping for the best.
While waiting for next week’s nail appointment, I’ve been doing my own nails and playing around with Mood Nail Polish.


This was the deep rich color of my nails at 8:30 this morning.


Two hours later, nails were yellowish green with a tye-die effect on the tips.


Getting out of the car at the university at 11:30, some nails were dark, others light.


So fun!

1 comment:

  1. 9:00 a.m. to 1:30 p.m is not really a long time .... if nothing goes wrong to take it to 1:30 am.

    ReplyDelete