Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Irony

After surviving the weekend’s 5K with no side effects – the usual stiffness and soreness, probably because the course was flat, no hills to climb, I arrive back at the complex and pull my back out carrying luggage up the stairs.
Ironic, isn’t it?
Fortunately, Shadow came along and helped me with the last of the luggage before the damage was more than a soak in Epsom salt and a deep heat patch could handle.
I found it also ironic that, after spending time with my twin daughters and granddaughter this past weekend, the takeaway being my family has no idea who I am and that formerly estranged daughter is never going to see me as anything other than cold, standoffish, unfeeling, uncaring, I get a message via Facebook from a woman I use to work with saying, “Hey....!! I'm so glad I still get to see your amazing life. I want to be you when I retire. XXOO”.
Coming from someone I myself admire that was a HUGE compliment, and I took it as a sign from the Universe that not being understood by family doesn’t mean everyone is as spiritually blind as they.
It’s cool. I can handle being misunderstood, especially since, at different stages of life, I had others observe how I live my life, handled myself in difficult situations and heard them say, “I want to be just like you when I grow up”.
Besides, the Universe prepared me for things to be as they are now with a recurring dream I had many moons ago.
The dream had me walking with family. What’s weird about it is, even though the recurring dream was more years ago than I can recall, everyone looks as they now do. But, as I said, we were all walking in a maze of city streets, turning corners. Eventually, they began to lag behind. I'd periodically look back to make sure they were in sight but, at one point, a decision was made to keep moving. So, Instead of stopping to wait for them to catch up, I kept walking, turning corners until I looked back and they were so far behind that I could no longer see them. I'd lost them completely.
I took that to mean that, on this journey through life, a time would come I’d find myself walking alone, sans family.
And so it now is.
So there’s that.
Waking up feeling disoriented this morning, it took me a second to realize I was in my own bed, not at the hotel.
Settling in on the couch to watch Good Morning America as I drank coffee, who should pop up but that grandstanding inappropriate preacher from the Royal Wedding – Bishop Curry.
Channel switch.
I’ll be glad when this guy is finished with his 15-minutes of fame and I can stop fast-forwarding through the wedding I'd recorded and want to re-watch and switching channels when he pops up on TV.
It’s another potluck day here at the complex. This one is for Memorial Day and Activity Director’s usual menu of hot dogs will be appropriate for the occasion.
I’d initially signed up for ice cream yet again, but that was when we’d expected the weather to be hot as Hades and the event to be outside in the patio area. Instead, it rained yesterday and today is cold and drizzly, so it’s more likely to be inside in the Community Room.
Since I don’t eat at these events, I asked myself "Why bother going at all", but when making a run to Costco this morning to pick up prints of the Great Donut Run to put in the scrapbook, I remembered that Asian Slaw Salad I used to be so fond of and picked up a package.  Because the salad has so many ingredients that I've learned are toxic to my well-being -- soy sauce, soybean oil, wheat, soybeans, sugar, cornstarch, wheat flour, wheat gluten, corn syrup, it'll be contenting myself with coffee and raw veggies.

No comments:

Post a Comment