Saturday, May 5, 2018

Craftus Interruptus

Today’s exercise class died a sudden death.
That would be the exercise class, organized by the Residents Volunteer Activity Committee (RVAC), that I let myself be talked into committing to participate.
When I make a commitment, I follow through – whether I really want to or not. So, pulling myself away from crafting, and instead of heading for the University to collect Pokéballs – like I needed to do, I headed down to the Community Room for the session.
Three times during the week, I’d been asked by a member of the RVAC, “Are you coming Saturday? ... You gonna be there? ... You gonna join us 11 on Saturday?”
Yes, yes and yes. I’ll be there.
And so I was, at 10:55, with not another soul in sight, including the three members of the RVAC who’d asked for my assurance.
Right after I entered the room, Greedy Grabby walked in, saying she too had been hounded for an assurance she’d show. Then, true to form, she went snooping around in the kitchen for whatever she could commandeer.
Finding a loaf of bread, she pronounced it stale, hard, “But I can toast it”.
Whatever floats your boat.
And just in case you’re thinking she might be so greedy and so grabby because she’s one of the residents who has very little, you’d be wrong. She’s well-off enough that she and her husband frequently travel out-of-the country.
At any rate, I waited around five more minutes, then headed back to my unit, passing another resident on the way to the non-existent session.
The RVAC has some splainin to do, but the good news is ... their failure to follow through has freed me from my commitment, and I’ll be careful not to let myself be roped in again because few things are as annoying to me as slowing my roll, changing my schedule to accommodate someone else, only to have that person or persons bail at the last minute, which is how I got to this place of not wanting to deal all that much with others, preferring to fly solo.
“She travels fastest who travels alone”.

2 comments:

  1. I hate being required to be somewhere at a specific time, knowing full well that others won't show up as required.

    ReplyDelete