Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Sensory Overload

Too much learning of new stuff going on over here.
I still haven’t figured out all the bells and whistles on the jeep. I did figure out how to use the GPS which, by the way, is awesome. I also figured out how to turn the radio on, find my favorite country station, but can’t figure out how to turn it off.
Research online indicates I can’t turn it off … ever. I can mute it, but once turned on, I’m stuck with hearing music as soon as I start up the car, when I’d rather not.
The popup accessory I ordered to organize the trunk is working out.


The four compartments hold up very well when filled.



However, it took so much finger strength to snap the organizer together that I seriously doubt I’ll ever unsnap and fold it down when not in use.
Then there’s the new cellphone. I’ve learned that going from an S4 to and S9 is a huge leap in technology, and with no instructions in the box, it’s all how do I do this that and the other YouTube videos, but I’m getting there.
One function I’m going to find useful, once I figure out how to load and apply it, is the blood pressure monitor.
Optical BP monitoring is in its infancy but inasmuch as I keep a close eye on my BP, because I prefer holistic remedies, only take medications when I absolutely must, do not follow doctor’s orders to take daily and, instead, try to take as infrequently as possible, but don’t want to mess up and have a stroke, a monitor on the phone will come in handy.
Insofar as sensory overload, I used to be a sponge for learning new things. Was always reading, studying, taking classes, keeping pace with technology; but now not so much, because things are changing too fast, getting too unnecessarily fancy.
On another note, long-time readers will remember when, back in 2015, I was headed to the market and saw one of our residents down on the ground, walker turned over.
She’s been having okay days, bad days and worse days since then, but gave up the ghost and passed away yesterday morning.
That’s the third resident we’ve lost this month.
First was the suspicious death of Apache’s neighbor. Second was a death in the family of three in my building, living in a unit around the corner.
In that unit is an elderly father, an elderly mother, and a middle-aged son who, although in constant pain himself, is caretaker for the mother and father.
It’s scary how one’s life can change in an instant, and so it was for this middle-aged gentleman. He was working construction digging a ditch, jumped in to continue his digging and, just like that, the impact of that jump so damaged his spinal cord that he can no longer work and is in constant pain.
It was his mother who passed away this past Sunday.
I saw the ambulance take her to the hospital a few days prior, and she succumbed there.
Third was the now 95-year old I’d blogged about back in 2015.
Three in one-month is a lot. Girls in the office are so over-whelmed that they’ve signed themselves up with a grief counselor to learn how to deal with loss of residents they’ve become attached to.

4 comments:

  1. Is there not a manual with your Jeep to tell you all about your radio? I find that odd that it doesn't turn off.
    I would think those women in the office must have to deal with a lot of grief working somewhere that people you grow to know well and like are passing. I couldn't take it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The manual spends more time discussing Sirius, which I won't be using, than explaining operation of the radio. Just where the buttons are and how to get to presets. Best source of information has been internet and I see everyone is asking about how to turn off radio and finding can't be done. Go figure.

      Delete
  2. Your comment about the blood pressure monitor on your phone got me to investigate my own phone, and sure enough, there is a way to connect a monitor to my phone. I ordered one to go with the app. I'll let you know how well it works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do because I'm not liking the built in monitor. Turns out it's a 3 week study connected to University of California. They access my phone, I put my finger on a thingie on back of phone and BP gets measured. But I'm finding it too difficult to get finger in just the right spot. Too much trouble for only three weeks, so very interested seeing what you use, how you like it.

      Delete