Saturday, February 10, 2018

Community Breakfast

Made it through this morning’s Community Breakfast without hurting myself.
Waking up at 7:00 A.M., with my stomach feeling normal for the first time in days and hungry, the Community Breakfast not scheduled until 10:00, I decided to feed the hunger, thinking by the time 10:00 rolled around I’d be better prepared to pass on biscuits/gravy which would set off another five/six/seven days of an angry gut episode.
It worked.
I drank coffee while others ate and wasn’t even tempted.
Praise the Lord coffee is still on the list of what my gut will accept.

Biscuits

Creamy Gravy

Scrambled Eggs

Put it all together ....


Along with pastries, a middle eastern spread for the bread. Also, not pictured, were late entry breakfast potatoes.
Of course, there was the usual “Why aren’t you eating” by those that don’t know of my issues with certain ingredients, but instead of “I’ll get sick if I eat this that the other”, I just said “I’m on a diet”.
The Baker and The Seer gave me a funny look when they heard me say what they knew to be a lie, but I explained to them that’s how I’ll be describing my not eating at events from now on because it’s easier.
And by the way, I figured out what brought on that gut episode. As far as I knew, I was eating healthy but, in going over ingredients, I learned the culprits were these two items.


Searching for wheat-free grain-free soy-free products, I’ve found Alexia is a good brand. However, I didn’t realize not all of their products are safe for me. The sweet potato fries contain not one, not two, but three ingredients that drive my gut insane -- rice flour, tapioca starch and corn starch. With the Perfect Pitch Mexican seasoning, the problem was corn flour.
At any rate, mystery solved, gut issues resolved for now, I was able to enjoy hanging with the folks at this morning’s breakfast.







Not a lot of residents were in attendance, but this I think is because the event was not properly advertised.
The woman who took over as President of the Residents Volunteer Committee, after next door neighbor was impeached, is doing a good job on arranging events, but then is sometimes sloppy about letting residents know of upcoming events.
For instance, this morning’s breakfast did not make it to the Monthly Calendar of Events, no flyers were posted on the board in the Laundry Rooms. Notice was first a hand-written note on the Community Room board. Then, when someone complained about the tacky notice, the hand-written note was replaced by a flyer but, if you didn’t frequent the Community Room, you didn’t see it. Not to mention that, when I went down to sign up that I’d be bringing Starbucks coffee, there was no sign-up sheet.
Those of us who attended and brought dishes just spoke amongst ourselves as to what we’d bring and showed up.
On tap for tomorrow is a trip to the University for more Pokéballs. I was trying to hang on until the next PokémonGo Event – which is the 24th, but I went to the market after breakfast, ran into a swarm, and two new captures. Some weren’t easy to catch, they fought and used up way too many balls, so time to replenish.

2 comments:

  1. Our silly aging guts, getting all persnickety in our golden years. I can so relate. Glad you are figuring yours out; it took me some time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For sure it's an inconvenience. I read that it's caused by our digestive enzymes becoming depleted with age, which causes the barrier between our stomach and esophagus to slacken. We need an exercise to tone and tighten that area up. Yoga perhaps?

    ReplyDelete