Monday, January 1, 2018

Good Morning 2018

Please be gentle with us.
Please be kind to us.
From the photos posted to our Facebook page, by those in attendance, it appears the senior’s New Years Eve Party went well.
I began thinking perhaps those sparkling ciders might have been spiked with alcohol, and some seniors were tipsy, when I received two telephone calls in rapid succession. The first call was from The Seer, who said the woman I’d given those cookies for the soldiers wanted to talk to me. She put the woman on the phone who said she needed my unit number for a thank you card, but then couldn’t hear my response because she’s partially deaf. She put The Seer back on the phone, who then transmitted the info to the woman.
So why did the woman get on the phone in the first place if she couldn’t hear through the wires?
I was thinking they were having too much fun down there, and I could hear the raucousness in the background.
Then mere seconds after that call was terminated, The Seer called back to ask, “When is your birthday?”
Whaaaaaat!
Are you joking!
“It’s a secret" said I. "You know I don’t celebrate my birthday”.
“Well that’s okay. I think I’ve got it written down in one of my books. I’ll look it up”.
Whaaaaaat!
How’d she get that very private information?
Maybe she has a clue it's this month, as I'd sometimes attend the cake celebrations for residents born specific months. But after years of being feted, sometimes completely overlooked, I learned not to expect, which grew to not wanting. Preferring to keep that status quo, I don't post my birthday on Facebook or mention it around the seniors, which others here go out of their way to let you know in advance. I do put my age on blast, as I'm proud of living this long when so much in life has tried to kill me.
My daughters have been off celebrating their 50th Birthday last few days. Since turning 50 is a big deal, and turning 50 with a twin an even bigger deal, I gifted them with what they wanted – day at the spa and a week in a fancy hotel in San Diego.
Reasonable request, as they could have opted for some place exotic, like Hawaii.

2 comments:

  1. That's a very nice gift for your girls. Jen turns 40 this year, but I can't do anything as elaborate. I give the kids a card with money totaling their years. It's the best I've got.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That windfall made it possible for me to do so, but the lean years taught me a lesson about putting others first, so they won't be getting anything as "elaborate" for their 51st.

      Delete