Sunday, December 31, 2017

Countdown to 2018

Today is the seniors' all day until 2:00 a.m. New Year’s Eve Party.
Not planning to attend myself, I did make a run down to the Community Room, around 1:00 p.m., to see how things were going.
Not many people yet, but a lot of weird looking pots on the stove.


Reminds me of when I’d get home from school, see mom had something cooking on the stove in a lidded pot. I’d open the lid and get grossed out by some awful looking animal head – mostly pig as mom made a lot of a country folks favorite back then -- pig head cheese.
None of us kids ate it, so I assume it was for her and the neighbors, but being traumatized by the animal heads probably has something to do with my not eating meat now, except for chicken and turkey. I also don’t eat beef, but that’s because mom had further traumatized me by saying my dog Skippy had been turned over to the meat market to be ground into beef hamburger meat.
At any rate, the cook tells me what’s on the stove is for Enchiladas and “Are you coming back?”
I said no, so she said she’d better wish me a Happy New Year’s now, then she ran over and hugged me.
OMG! Why do people feel they have to follow "Happy New Year’s (HNY)" with a hug?
I’m fairly certain she doesn’t have cooties, so I’m not freaked out about it, but still. 
I also got HNY and a hug from another resident yesterday, as I stepped out, headed to the market.
To play it safe, when I ran into Apache, bringing in the Martinelli Sparkling Cider, and he asked if I’d be coming back, I lied and said yes so he wouldn’t hug me. In fact, I think I’d better keep a low profile next few days until folks get HNY and the hugging out of their system.
Tonight being the official end of the holiday -- last night I get to light up the patio Christmas Decorations, tomorrow will be wrapping everything up, returning to storage.
Wishing you all a happy, prosperous New Year and if you’re one of those who don't mind a hug going along with that, here you go.


2 comments:

  1. It's late, but are you still handing out hugs? If so, I'll take one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never too late. Consider the Internet Hug yours, and try Pau d'Arco tea for that bronchitis.

    ReplyDelete