Thursday, November 30, 2017

If Only

If I weren’t going through a period where I’m feeling every year of my age, with no idea if and when I'll get a second wind and back out there on the 5K circuit, and if I weren’t still recovering from whatever this is I came down with a few days after returning from Long Beach that not only set off a gut reaction, but had me coughing so much and so hard that my throat was raw and my ribs sore, I’d be packing my bags right now to head to San Diego for the Santa Run 5K.


This looks so fun, especially since the race organizers provide the costume.
Funny thing is – well not funny ha ha, but funny interesting is, week before the trip, I’d been thinking how lucky I was that, other than IBS, I don’t get sick. I couldn’t remember the last time I had a cold or the flu, and I’m talking years back. Then WHAM, I was flat on my back, boosting my immune system with gallons of Pau d’Arco tea.
I’m struggling to figure out how I opened myself up for sick to come in, but the worst of it seems to be over.
I was really craving soup today.
In the old days, when I could eat like a normal human, I’d pick up a few cans of Progresso Soup and be done with it. Instead, I had to research what safe soups I could throw together and found a recipe for Shirataki Ramen Noodle soup.
I had shirataki on hand but, needing chicken broth, off I go to the market.
Waiting at the check out stand, I over heard a conversation between two gentlemen where one said, “I don’t carry dead presidents, only Benjamins”.
That slang so peeked my interest that, as soon as I returned to the unit, I googled both terms.
If you already knew this, you’re way ahead of me, but in case you didn’t know, and you’re a contestant on Jeopardy and need an answer:
Dead presidents -- $1, $2, $5, $10, $20, $50 bills. Used because most American bills have deceased former U.S. Presidents on the front.
Benjamins -- $100-dollar bill.
Other than being under the weather and managing to expand my vocabulary, not much going on here at the complex since last Friday’s chaotic day … or at least as far as I know.
I did hear our Head Maintenance Man has been out “sick” all week. My response to that was “sick in more ways than one”, but hopefully my being sick the same time as Head Maintenance Guy isn’t me spiritually connecting with and empathing his illness.
Just in case you’re wondering, I do love shirataki noodles, but the soup recipe tasted nothing even remotely close to a ramen dish. It wasn’t totally awful, so I managed to down a few bites for lunch and I’m currently in the process of adding shrimp and turning the remainder into a stir-fry for dinner.

4 comments:

  1. Not to be an alarmist, but the cough and the feeling of tiredness makes me think you need to see a dr immediately. I just learned that a coughing spell with no other signs of a cold, could mean a heart attack. Get it checked out, just to be safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a bad idea. I tend to think of myself as immune from the majority of the world's illnesses, but this cough came from somewhere for some reason, maybe to light a fire under my butt to go see the doc.

      Delete
    2. My son-in-law's stepdad thought he had the flu, but it was a heart attack which he only discovered AFTER being hospitalized for a stroke brought on by the heart attack that he ignored.

      Delete
    3. More I think about it, more I think the heart might explain the dizzy spells and shortness of breath I've been ignoring, waiting to go away. I will see the doctor, but if she wants to do a lot of crazy things, I'm out and will take whatever comes next.

      Delete