Friday, July 7, 2017

Keep This Notice

Opening the mailbox yesterday, right on top I spied a card captioned “Official Business of the Court”. On the flip side were the words “This notice is to confirm that you have been permanently excused from jury service … keep this notice for your records”.
Whoopdedo!
Keep it? I’m gonna frame it!
Had I known it was this easy … a simple notation on the summons to “Please remove my name from rotation”, I’d have done it the second I hit 70 years of age -- the age when an exemption can be requested.
Of course, my stomach issues weren’t as bad at age 70 as they are now, but still to the point where I could have received a medical exemption.
At any rate, that’s one less glorious thing I have to deal with out in the world.
Speaking of dealing with things out in the world, I logged on one day to find I’d suddenly had an enormous rise in visitors, over 1500 in one day to be precise.
I’m not THAT interesting, so I chalked it up to some sort of mistake until the high numbers kept rolling in, followed by comments. The comments were nice, but the fact that they came in with a mask on, gave me pause.
I ignored those as well, but when they persisted, I solved the issue by shutting comments down completely, thought better of it, and am in the process of trying a different setting.
I realize this setting has, in the past, caused issues for those of you whose comments I value. I apologize, but it has to be this way because of the weird happenings.
Tonight’s movie in the Community Room is Will Smith’s Independence Day.
I’ll pass.

2 comments:

  1. So far, I like jury duty so won't be permanently excusing myself. I can usually rearrange the dates to coincide to when I am free to be there for days at a time.

    As for your commenters, how odd. Does make one wonder what kind of "bot" is out there doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good that some do enjoy jury duty, otherwise the courts would be in a world of hurt in putting a panel together.

    ReplyDelete