Monday, July 17, 2017

Can’t Touch This

Nothing new since the last post. The heat and air quality have been such that, except for quick trips to the market and downstairs to pick up mail, I do my best to stay indoors. The A/C has been running close to 24/7, so I’m expecting the utility bill to double, if not triple.
To save on cost of running their own A/C, a group of residents hang out in the nice cool Community Room from the time it opens at 9:00 a.m., to when doors are locked at 7:00 p.m., breaking for lunch.
It’s almost like a regular 9 to 5 job for them, with potty and lunch breaks and 5:00 to 7:00 overtime.
I’m in the habit now of heading there on Pizza Tuesday, which is tomorrow, because … as I’ve blogged before, it’s just so entertaining to watch.
Inasmuch as some of the residents can’t keep their hands to themselves, I’m thinking of taking a crossword puzzle down to work on tomorrow, instead of my latest needlepoint project.
I don’t know why it is people feel they have to touch the projects, which can be disastrous. One little stain on the aida cloth can undo hours, weeks, months’ worth of work.
Inevitably, someone will be curious, walk over and ask, “What are you working on”, I’ll hold up the project so they can see, then I see a finger slowly creeping towards it to touch, to which I’ll pull it away from the encroaching finger and say in a slightly panicked voice, “Don’t touch it!”.
This latest project is especially challenging with 61 different colors, six pattern pages and, working on it for hours every day, I've made great progress.
Last Tuesday, I’d put the project down, turned to engage in conversation with The Baker and, out of the corner of my eyes, I saw it move. Turning, I saw one of the women who had a greasy pizza box and a greasy bread container in one hand, had actually used her free hand to pick up the project.
I thought I was going to have a heart attack and said, rather loudly, “OMG, Don’t Touch It!”.
As I began examining the project for stains, she said, “Why? My hands are clean”.
I seriously doubt that as 1) Our fingers are naturally oily and 2) She’d just been handling greasy packages. I myself am very careful … constantly washing my hands, mindful of how I hold the project by the hoop, so as not to touch the fabric as I work.
After, examining the area she’d touched, I fortunately didn’t see anything on the project. And hopefully, it’s not something that will show up later, but now I’m afraid to take any further chance of people ruining my work by working on the project in the Community Room.

No comments:

Post a Comment