Thursday, April 6, 2017

Once Bitten

After hibernating all day yesterday, I made a quick trip outside to take trash to the dumpster today, stop by the mailbox but, before I could head back inside, here comes next door neighbor on the way to her car.

“Are you going to color eggs tomorrow” asked she. “Yep, I’m all ready”.

Then she proceeded to bend my ear talking about the number of eggs she bought, how she only plans to decorate four; then something about having bought Easter baskets, grass and plans to either decorate the Community Room with the baskets or give them away.

I dunno the specifics. I was only half listening.

Then she went on all excited about the plans she has for the complex, the Community Room, yada yada yada, ending with yet again a plea for my suggestions, adding that all I have to do is give her suggestions, that I don’t have to be responsible for instituting those suggestions as a volunteer.

Yea, right. Color me skeptical.

I’ve heard that before.

Flashing back to when I worked at the law firm and a secretary I was not necessarily close to, but acquainted with, was retiring. Her friends were arranging a goodbye get together and asked if I’d like to be included.

“Sure”, says I.

Then it was, “If you can think of something fun for us to do, let us know.”

I thought about it, came up with a fun interactive dinner show that was in town.

Then it was, “Well, it’s your suggestion so why don’t you make the arrangements.”

I wasn’t strong and self-assured as I am now, didn’t know how to stick up for myself, so I ended up with all the coordinating duties.

So no, not this time. Once bitten, twice shy.

It is great, however, to finally see next door neighbor participating, being so enthusiastic, so happy. It’s taken her almost two years to work through being miserable at having ended up here at this simple level of living, with her Master’s Degree in Education, background of being large and in charge as a State Commissioner, being on the go, hanging out at fancy places, attending fancy events, hobnobbing with the rich and powerful.

Now that next door neighbor has taken on the role of Head of the Residents Activity Committee, has the Activity Director on speed dial, the Community Manager giving her carte blanche, she’s happily in her element again …. large and in charge, albeit in a smaller pond.

As far as my volunteering again or offering suggestions, let me just say ... I've made mistakes in my life, but I've learned from those mistakes and work hard to never make the same mistake twice.


So no, stop trying to suck me in.

No comments:

Post a Comment