Friday, April 7, 2017

Coloring Party

Maybe it was too soon for me to come out of hibernation and mingle with the general public at today’s Egg Coloring Party.

My eggs came out great.




Apache tried the shaving cream method on his eggs with questionable results.




What Apache had to say was, “It looked a whole lot easier and neater on the internet”.
ROFLMAO!
At any rate, the event was fun, well attended, but I managed to lose my religion and tick off two residents in the process – one accidently, the other not so much deliberately, more like she aggravated me to where I just didn’t care.
The event was not hosted by management. It’s something The Baker sets up every year, right down to personally supplying the table cover, dye, decorations and tools. All she asks is that we bring our own boiled eggs.
I, of course, had my wooden eggs and craft kit.
Everything was in full swing, going swimmingly. THEN the greedy grabby woman from Pizza Tuesday showed up.
Of course, she showed up eggless and put on a poor performance of “Oh, do I go get my own eggs?”
It’s not like she and her husband are among the very elderly or of those in need, for whom we make allowances. It’s more like a greedy grabby princess, everything is about me, for me, the rules don't apply mentality. Her showing up eggless was her usual modus operandi, and the playing it off as an innocent oversight so disgusted me that I couldn’t even look at her.
Others at the table didn't see through the charade, were easy gullible prey and offered her eggs, which she cheerily accepted as she sat down adjacent to me.
I focused on my decorating.
Before greedy grabby arrived on the scene, I’d identified with another woman’s saying her eggs rotted last year because she didn’t want to mess up her decorating job and kept them around too long. I mentioned that being my reason for going wooden this year and offered her paint, a brush and one of my extra eggs. She’d accepted and went back to her spot at the far end of the table to work on it.
Once greedy grabby arrived, got eggs from others, helped herself to decorations, she then began looking around for what else she could get, spied my paint pens, reached towards them saying, “I want one of those”.
This is where my religion began to slip through my fingers.
I said, “No. These are mine.”
Something in my dead even tone caused her to freeze in mid-grab, consider for a moment, then say, “Oh, never mind.”
Shortly after, the woman working on the wooden egg walked back down and asked about decorating with gold flakes. I gave her flakes, sealant, a sealant brush and showed her how to apply.
Greedy grabby observed this.
After a time, greedy grabby said, “I want gold flakes”.
This was where my religion went completely out the door.
“I’m not giving you any.”
“What did I ever do to you? I’m never asking you for anything again.”
“Fine”, said I.
The rest of the event was me not paying attention to her, while she continued to try to engage. First by asking for something again … “Do you have scissors?”
I reached into my kit and, without responding or even looking up or at her, gave her scissors.
Then she tried to engage by showing me her finished eggs.
I looked up, nodded, went back to ignoring her.
I wasn’t being nice, I wasn’t being spiritually minded, but I wasn't being fake either. She’s just not my kind of person, I want nothing to do with her and we'll just have to let it be that.
So there’s that.
The other woman who probably will never speak to me again is an older deeply religious woman I’ve sat and talked with at several events. She brought up the upcoming Spring BBQ saying she wasn’t going to attend because meat is being served.
“I’m bringing my own turkey dogs” said I.
“That’s still meat” said she.
“Oh, you’re right; but they’ll be other things you can eat that aren’t meat”.
I was still decorating eggs, only half listening and, when she said something about it being “lent ... we're not suppose to eat", I said “I’m not catholic”.
No disrespect was intended. It just seemed the rational thing to say in response.
She got up and walked out. Didn’t even say goodbye to anyone.
Oh well. That’s two for two.
I’d better go back into hibernation until next Friday’s Spring BBQ, so I don’t tick off any of the other 167+ residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment