Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Bookmarks and More

It’s been a productive few days insofar as rebuilding the most important of what I’d lost when the Vaio died.
A little behind in scrapbooking, I’d been collecting photos to be sent out for development in a folder on the computer and, fortunately, just that morning, had forwarded to Walmart for prints.
Something then told me to backup that which I’d not backed up for a while -- like the budget spreadsheet, a document tracking dates and occasions of those photos, and image enlargements of the current cross-stitch project with the areas completed marked out so I don’t get confused.
I didn’t take the time to do that backup and, later that evening, when I couldn’t open the computer, regretted not doing so when prompted to do so.
Though photos kept in files are lost, I don’t suppose it matters as I do have prints but henceforth, instead of a tracking document, I’m reverting to my mom’s method of writing on the back of prints.
There are quite a few photos waiting to be scrapbooked and, except for the 5Ks where I can identify the occasion by the bib, it’s difficult to recall specifics. That’s where the blog is coming in handy in allowing me to go back, connect photos to occasions and dates.
Inasmuch as I’m only a month into the new cross-stitch pattern, it wasn’t a whole lot of work to re-scan, enlarge, update work done, so that’s taken care of.
As far as the budget, it was only this year’s budget to-date that was lost, as last year’s had been backed up on flash. Rebuilding this year’s budget was doable but tedious, because every dollar spent is meticulously logged into my Franklin Planner on a daily basis, making it a matter of tediously looking through the planner, reentering daily data into a new spreadsheet.
I’ve even managed during the week to locate some of the blogs whose bookmarks I’d lost. These are blogs not on my reading list, but which I’d browsed up on, found interesting, and would occasionally lurk.
Is that the correct word … “lurk”, when one occasionally reads but not leave a comment?
At any rate, I’m now thinking of adding those to my reading list, instead of just bookmarking, so as to not risk losing again.
What’s the protocol on that?
Do we leave a comment asking permission, or do we just add?
There’s one set of bookmarks I won’t be looking to recover -- a list of senior communities to look at should I find I won’t be allowed to recertify for this restricted-income complex end-of-year, because of that windfall.
Online search for an affordable area, that’s not restricted income, led me to Henderson, Nevada.
Believe it or not, until that search, I’d never heard of Henderson. Now, all of a sudden, every time I turn around, I’m hearing, seeing or being given something relative to “Henderson/Lake Mead”.
Beginning to think it a sign, I’d bookmarked several 55 and Over Communities -- some new, some under construction.
No point bothering with looking those up and re-bookmarking now, because I heard on the news the Oakland Raiders are moving from Oakland to Las Vegas.
That announcement is going to push prices up on everything in and around the Las Vegas area, to on par with what’s going on in and around this area.
Henderson still might be a fun area to live if I absolutely must move. I saw the senior communities are close enough to the Strip to be able to enjoy that activity, the University of Nevada if I want a campus to roam for Pokémon, there’s a Costco, Kaiser, Home Depo. So though I don’t want to end up paying an arm and a leg for housing, it may be worth the price.
We’ll see come October, when recertification time rolls around.

1 comment:

  1. I feel that people who publish a blog are putting themselves out there and if someone wants to add them to their blogroll, then it's okay. I add and subtract from my blogroll all the time without telling anyone, and I expect others to do likewise with me. I'm not trying to hide anything.

    ReplyDelete