Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Pizza Tuesday


Policing the event was not too terrible awful, not totally fun either. Let’s just say Pizza Tuesday was a tolerable assignment … one that, because of ungrateful old people with bad attitudes, I can’t see continuing for much longer.

First off, having been told to be in the Community Room at 10:00 to accept delivery, I was in place around 9:45.

Pizza did not arrive until 11:20 and “delivery” was Maintenance Supervisor and his assistant driving over to Pizza Hut, picking up the pizzas, bringing the boxes back to the Community Room.

It didn’t look like the guys minded handling the delivery, but I don’t think they appreciated being bum rushed by the old people, who couldn’t control themselves until the guys brought everything in ... about 40/50 pizzas, hot wings, garlic breads spread out over three tables.

If I’d not been so busy trying to slap “1 Per Person” labels onto boxes, as the seniors attacked one or the other of the three tables like wild beasts, I’d have recorded the happening.

Apache was in the Community Room when I arrived to, as he put it, “protect you if things got ugly”, had taken a set of labels and helped me, otherwise I couldn’t have kept up with slapping labels on with the rate of grabbers.

I was expecting residents to balk at signing-in as having attended, but fortunately I’d passed the sign-in sheet around BEFORE the pizza arrived and Apache and The Baker helped me by speaking up to folks as they entered the Community Room, telling them to “sign in” before I could say it, which took some of the dirty looks off me.

No one said anything directly to my face about having to sign in, but I did get feedback from a male resident who’d not attended, didn’t know I was involved, that residents are complaining about having to “sign for the pizzas”.

I explained, hoping he'd pass it along, they were not "signing for pizzas", they were signing as attending the event -- just as we do with ALL events, so Activity Director can justify her position AND, in this case, can keep the donation program going.

He looked skeptical.

I asked why he himself hadn’t attended.

He said he’d attended last week and it was a mad house -- much like what I observed this morning, only worse because he said he’d looked through a lot of boxes before he found what he wanted – pepperoni, and a female resident snatched it right out of his hands.

Seriously.

He went on to say, what the woman did was so rude that he went to the office about the incident, and was told “You’re a man, she’s a woman” whatever that meant. So now he’s upset, angry, did not attend this morning and will not attend Pizza Tuesday ever again.

I expect some are so offended about signing-in and the 1 Per Person labels that they too won’t attend again either.




If the program gets dropped due to lack of attendance because folks are offended, fine by me -- I’m not interested in the pizza and my time will be my own again.

Thankfully, the Community Room television was back on. Plus, just yesterday, I’d finished the needlepoint project begun in May of last year, and used this morning’s down time to set up for my new project.


Completed: Walking Dead Chic with a Sword .. Michonne



Next: Native American Still Life

So anyway, as bad as this morning looked to me, insofar as behaviors, I gather it was better than last week.

Most honored the 1 Per Person labels.

There were three however who could have cared less.

One insisted she ALWAYS bring back a pizza for her neighbor, because neighbor was in school.

She kept following me around rationalizing … “She’s in school”.

I said it wasn’t my saying 1 Per Person, it was the Activity Director, so take it up with her.

When all was said and done, the woman walked out with 2 of everything and the friend she brought with her, a woman I’d never seen before, walked out with 3 of everything.

ROFLMAO!

There was another older woman, on a walker, trying to rush out the door so we’d not see her dangerously balancing two or three.

Everyone saw.

Everyone was worried she’d not make it. So worried that several volunteered assistance.

She declined.

I think she was embarrassed to be seen absconding with so much loot.

One woman who did not put up a fuss was a woman I am told brought one of those rolling shopping carts to last week’s Pizza Tuesday and filled the cart up.

She brought the cart with her this time as well, saw the labels and stopped at one of everything.

Will I police Pizza Tuesday next week?

That’s up to the Activity Director.

I’ll report back to her that chatter is residents are insulted they had to “sign for pizza”, that delivery was late and that, of the 40/50 pizzas delivered, there were a few remaining when I left at 12:15.




Inasmuch as there are leftovers, she might as well just let people take however many they want.

I’ll also mention she might check with the maintenance men to see how they feel about being bum rushed.

I personally don't think the event, and these ungrateful fussy old folks, are worth the energy, but if Activity Director wants me to police next week, then sure, I'll do it for her.

No comments:

Post a Comment