Saturday, December 24, 2016

Ugly Sweater Cookies



My holiday spirit continues to wane -- in that I can’t wait for Christmas and New Years to be over and done with but, in going through the motions, I did attend the Holiday Breakfast in the multi-family building next door.

Walking into where I only knew one person -- granddaughter, the ice was immediately broken upon being handed cookies to be decorated as ugly sweaters.







I definitely could have applied myself and done better, but it is what it is.

Breakfast was fruit, donuts and breakfast sandwiches which, upon being micro waved, made the place smell like the Olive Garden. More than a few times I had to block the smell by putting a napkin to my nose, but I survived the cheesy odor.

I’d eaten breakfast before arriving, so was not tempted by anything offered by the building’s management team, and focused on decorating cookies, talking with those in attendance.

There were quite a few kids, all of whom were cute and very well behaved, so I had a good time watching them play games, collect prizes, decorate their cookies.


Pretty Good, Looks Like a Sweater


Rudolph and an Elf
Vampire Santa and a Straight-Up Fanged Vampire

I wondered about this vampire making kid, where his inspiration came from. Does his grandma, who I learned is raising him, let him watch AMC's The Walking Dead?


Amazing Creations by a Dad in Attendance

One game that tickled me to no end was two teams of kids having to wrap a package, get the wrapped package to the next table where one of the kids had to play Santa by putting on a red t-shirt, stuff it with balloons to make a Santa belly, don a Santa hat, go to the next station, where each team member had to do a dizzy thing by putting their head down on a giant candy cane, and twirl their body around it. First team to wrap their package, dress a member as Santa, twirl and get their wrapped package to the Christmas tree was declared winner -- prizes all around.




Looking at the video, I think some corners were cut, but the game was a hoot!

At 2:45, I headed down to the Community Room for our Holiday Luncheon.

It wasn’t a hoot or anything spectacular like the catered events of previous years, but it was okay, with a nice turnout – about 40 people.

Dinner was from the deli -- fried chicken, choice of potato or macaroni salad, packaged dinner rolls -- which I don’t eat bread but had the rolls not been straight from the refrigerator cold, had been warmed in the oven, I might have, and corn. I don’t know if the corn was canned or frozen, but it tasted pretty good.

There were all kinds of cookies, a cake, cupcakes, pecan and pumpkin pies. I limited myself to a slice of pumpkin pie and headed back to the unit just in time to catch Judge Judy.

On tap for today is … I’m trying to motivate myself to bundle up against the cold and wet, from yet another all night rain, and head over to the University to get that Virtual 5K taken care of. I never did make it to Wal-Mart or Victoria Gardens for those thermals. Maybe next week.

3 comments:

  1. The Walking Dead is zombies, not vampires. ;) Cute idea, the ugly sweater cookie decorating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Season's Greetings from Canada where it's 7F and has been snowing for 2 days. But, we're used to it - life goes on. Kind of makes your rainy weather look good, doesn't it? Glad you had a good time at the party. I admire your self control. I use Christmas as an excuse to eat everything in sight. I'll diet in January, there's nothing else to do then. Hope you have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 7F boggles my mind, and I can't take credit for self control. It's more like preference, and if you put something in front of me I prefer, it's game over, as it was today. More on that later. Merry Christmas and Happiest of New Years to you as well.

      Delete